backup sound card device names different?

Mark S Ellis

Hello All! We're running Sonar 8.5 for our live rig. We have a couple of different hardware setups depending on how far we travel. We have two RME Fireface UC units, one for each rig. They're both updated to the same firmware. The problem arises when we switch rigs. When opening a file in Cakewalk, a message pops up that it can't find the same MIDI device that was saved in the file. The problem is that Cakewalk is calling the 1st fireface unit "UC midi port 1" and when we're not using the 1st unit but we got the 2nd fireface unit plugged in, cakewalk is calling the 2nd unit "2 - UC midi port 1". 

So it seems as though the solution is to copy all of my cakewalk projects to another folder, and go through every project and change the midi outs to the 2nd unit, and use those project files when using the 2nd fireface rig.  Surely there's a better way? I was thinking if I could find the .ini file that cakewalk uses to keep track of the units I could amend or delete it so cakewalk starts fresh when changing from one fireface to another, but I can't find where that info is stored. Any thoughts are appreciated! I'd hate to have to go through all of those files to create a whole new set for using different audio interfaces...

BTW, the audio channels don't change names between units and seem fine.

Edited by Mark S Ellis

Just want to update: I've been troubleshooting all day. The only way I can get cakewalk to treat the 2nd sound card the same as the 1st sound card is to reinstall the sound card driver. Whatever sound card I plug in first will be "UC midi port 1". If I unplug that one the 2nd card will be "2 - UC midi port 1".

This is a terrible workaround to the problem, but if no one has any other advice it'll have to do.  Any advice/suggestions on best practice installing drivers over and over?

I don't have a solution unfortunately but maybe another workaround:

Cakewalk stores the MIDI device settings in the TTSSEQ.ini file under
"C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core". *

The idea of the workaround would be to create two different TTSSEQ.ini files,

one for each of your UC MIDI devices and then creating a batch script which will rename/copy the relevant TTSSEQ.ini file to the Cakewalk folder.

So, at the end, you'd have to double click the batch file (and remember to do so) before you plug in the MIDI device UC-1 or UC-2.

At least a bit faster than reinstalling the driver, I think.

* Edit:

The path for TTSSEQ.ini in Sonar 8.5 is different of course, but the name is the same, IIRC.

Edited by Klaus