$1 🎶 Ardour 7.0 released

daveiv

Sorry - realize that my reply might come off as rude.
But you shouldn't have to follow a link just to find out if it's something that might interest you.
In this case the link posted is to an update page that still doesn't say what Ardour is until over a page length down (yeah you might guess it's a DAW but it also could be a sample manager).

Ardour is an open-source DAW supporting Linux, macOS and Windows.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

10 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Sorry - realize that my reply might come off as rude.
But you shouldn't have to follow a link just to find out if it's something that might interest you.
In this case the link posted is to an update page that still doesn't say what Ardour is until over a page length down (yeah you might guess it's a DAW but it also could be a sample manager).

Ardour is an open-source DAW supporting Linux, macOS and Windows.

So typical of Linux developers.

• Haha 4

On 10/15/2022 at 9:46 PM, TheSteven said:

And why should we care?

all good now, but no different than posts on S1, Cubase, Mixbus, etc, etc. updates.

On 10/16/2022 at 12:25 AM, TheSteven said:

Linux devs are big on the DIY aesthetic with a strong assumption of technical competence.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:31 AM, Paul Young said:

So typical of Linux developers.

ya, you won't find them on TikTok

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

all good now, but no different than posts on S1, Cubase, Mixbus, etc, etc. updates.

Linux devs are big on the DIY aesthetic with a strong assumption of technical competence.

ya, you won't find them on TikTok

S1, Cubase, Mixbus aren't posting here directly. 
If I subscribe to receiving update notices from a developer then knowledge of what is being referred to can be assumed.
If I'm posting information to people who may be unaware of what I'm talking about a bit of description is helpful.

2nd point is absurd.  Not being aware of a product has nothing to do with technical competence. 

4 hours ago, TheSteven said:

If I subscribe to receiving update notices from a developer then knowledge of what is being referred to can be assumed.
If I'm posting information to people who may be unaware of what I'm talking about a bit of description is helpful.

2nd point is absurd.  Not being aware of a product has nothing to do with technical competence. 

Some in the world of Linux are delusional or annoying.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TheSteven said:

? didn't find the post any different than...

etc. etc.

6 hours ago, jackson white said:

my bad, could've stated this differently but it's just a very broad (and snarky) reference to some differences between "consumer oriented" sw vs a "typical" Linux build and meant for those who might have had some development experience. and why they -might- not have bothered with the basics. apologies if you were troubled by it.

• Like 3

Linux is a bit too fiddly for non-coder type end users. If you are comfy with a command line and a text editor for most of your system tweaks, go for it.

Linux is the 800 lb gorilla of most server and mainframe operating systems. But the desktop OS ecosystem is quite fragmented for standards and support.

Sure, some of the newer desktop GUI environments may look like you can mostly do it all from the GUI, just like with Windows. But wait until something stops working, or doesn't work as expected...

You will probably end up Googling a dozen websites, to find some which recommend typing in prescribed text strings into a command line to repair said issue. Or open up a text editor to modify a configuration file. Or load another driver. Or install more software.

Rinse and repeat until you become a so-called Linux guru. :)

Edited by abacab

25 minutes ago, abacab said:

Sure, some of the newer desktop GUI environments may look like you can mostly do it all from the GUI, just like with Windows. But wait until something stops working, or doesn't work as expected...

You will probably end up Googling a dozen websites, to find some which recommend typing in prescribed text strings into a command line to repair said issue. Or open up a text editor to modify a configuration file. Or load another driver. Or install more software.

Sounds like my experience with Windows.😃 Command line, registry editing, force loading drivers, Googling a dozen websites, etc, etc. I was a long time Linux user,  mostly Ubuntu. I did not find Linux maintenance any more onerous than Windows maintenance and in some cases easier. There are certainly some things harder to do especially in the area of audio software which is why I mostly live in Windows now. But my 86 year old mother-in-law uses Ubuntu just fine and prefers it to Windows. I am not a Linux evangelist but I think Linux's reputation as a hard to use OS has been overstated. I think it's reputation has more to do with lack of familiarity than with it being inherently more complex. On the other hand, I flounder and curse when in front of a Mac, and it is supposed to be the gold standard for usability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I was a long time Linux user,  mostly Ubuntu. I did not find Linux maintenance any more onerous than Windows maintenance and in some cases easier.

I have set up a few Linux computers starting with Red Hat 9 in 2003, then expanded to Fedora a few years later by installing it at work on some spare PCs.  In 2014 when I started taking some online programming classes I set up a dedicated Ubuntu system at home to be my development machine, and also my daily driver PC for a couple of years. So my Windows PC was reserved for DAW use at that time. But in the end I decided that I didn't want to spend the effort to keep both Linux and Windows PCs running. Sure I could have, without issue,  but no longer desired to. I would rather just struggle with Windows. :)

My career started with mainframe computers, punch cards, and dumb terminals before the PC, mouse, or internet. Those dumb terminals only used command lines, so yes that experience made it easy later to get under the hood of PCs. Nobody that I knew outside of work at the time really had any idea what computers were all about. My first personal PC at home was a Windows 95 machine, although we had micro computers at work in our data center for years, even starting before DOS and the IBM PC XT/AT.

I would have to say that early Windows up through the 9x series was a little bit like Linux in the sense that you launched the Windows desktop as an extension on top of the DOS operating system (but nowhere near as stable as Linux). The Microsoft migration to a full Windows NT based kernel (non-DOS) is what began the modern Windows architecture that we have known since Windows 2000/XP.

I think that a well configured Ubuntu PC, or a Google Chrome OS (Linux-based) PC could easily be used by "grandma", as long as they only did basic tasks like web browsing, email, Faceboook, etc. In fact, I set up a ChromeBox for my Dad in his 80's for basic online access in his retirement home, that he did really well with. But all he had to do is turn the thing on.

I have nothing against Linux, but the bottom line now is that with audio software you would have to pry my Windows 10 Pro computer out of my cold dead hands!!! 🤣

Edited by abacab

19 minutes ago, abacab said:

I have set up a few Linux computers starting with Red Hat 9 in 2003

My experience is very similar to yours, predating you by a couple of years, at least in terms of Redhat. I started with Redhat 5.1 in 1998.

19 minutes ago, abacab said:

My career started with mainframe computers, punch cards, and dumb terminals before the PC, mouse, or internet.

Punch cards programming in Fortran IV with WATFOR and WATFIV was my gateway drug to the computing world. I really was excited to be able to use a dumb terminal when I hit university because I could play Colossal Caves and Trek. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Punch cards programming in Fortran IV with WATFOR and WATFIV was my gateway drug to the computing world. I really was excited to be able to use a dumb terminal when I hit university because I could play Colossal Caves and Trek. 

We had a CP/M micro computer (ran some network management software) in the data center, with a very addicting text based adventure game installed on it. I cannot remember the name, and most of the details are fuzzy (nearly 40 years ago) but it involved seeking treasure that eventually involved caves and trying to stay alive. Great fun on a boring 3rd shift! :)