How do I use my Yamaha PSR-E463 keyboard as a MIDI input device with Neo Piano? SOLVED!

koala.

Hi koala and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Does the E463 show up as a MIDI device in Preferences?  If so, is it "checked".  Also, if the keyboard is recognized by CbB, do you see it as an MIDI input device in the MIDI track Input drop down?

Kind regards,

tecknot

On 10/16/2022 at 6:33 PM, tecknot said:

Hi koala and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Does the E463 show up as a MIDI device in Preferences?  If so, is it "checked".  Also, if the keyboard is recognized by CbB, do you see it as an MIDI input device in the MIDI track Input drop down?

Kind regards,

tecknot

Yes, it does. Cakewalk recognizes the E463 as a MIDI device. Neo Piano does not recognize it, though. Perhaps CbB isn't correctly sending the inputs to Neo Piano, or it isn't sending inputs at all.

Does Neo Piano respond to your E463 in standalone mode?  If so, (and assuming the plug-in has been installed correctly and Cakewalk's vstscan picked it up correctly), perhaps you haven't set up the routing properly.

3 hours ago, koala. said:

Perhaps CbB isn't correctly sending the inputs to Neo Piano, or it isn't sending inputs at all.

When you say "Perhaps CbB isn't sending the inputs to Neo Piano," what steps have you taken to diagnose that?

When you play notes and record them onto a midi track, do they show up in the track (even if you can't hear them from Neo Piano)? If so, try inserting the Neo Piano and then point the midi track to the Neo Piano.  Does the recorded midi track play?  If not, does Neo Piano have any indication it is receiving midi data (e.g., keypresses seen in the UI, a flashing led, response to a patch change command)? 

16 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Does Neo Piano respond to your E463 in standalone mode?  If so, (and assuming the plug-in has been installed correctly and Cakewalk's vstscan picked it up correctly), perhaps you haven't set up the routing properly.

When you say "Perhaps CbB isn't sending the inputs to Neo Piano," what steps have you taken to diagnose that?

When you play notes and record them onto a midi track, do they show up in the track (even if you can't hear them from Neo Piano)? If so, try inserting the Neo Piano and then point the midi track to the Neo Piano.  Does the recorded midi track play?  If not, does Neo Piano have any indication it is receiving midi data (e.g., keypresses seen in the UI, a flashing led, response to a patch change command)? 

I just rechecked, now CbB recognizes my E463 (as in it shows it in the MIDI preferences menu) but there aren't any signs of input at all, even in standalone mode. I am a beginner, and I need explanations to be as dumbed down as possible. I'm sorry if I'm causing you any trouble.

koala

2 hours ago, koala. said:

I just rechecked, now CbB recognizes my E463 (as in it shows it in the MIDI preferences menu) but there aren't any signs of input at all, even in standalone mode. I am a beginner, and I need explanations to be as dumbed down as possible. I'm sorry if I'm causing you any trouble.

Correct me if I am wrong, there is also no evidence that midi data is coming from the E463.  For something like that I use a tool called midi-ox.  Do you have that?  If so, the keyboard should show up as a midi device and the Input Window would show the midi data coming from it.

I looked at the E463 manual yesterday.  Let me look at that again. I seem to remember a statement that might be useful if the computer itself isn't seeing the data.  Found it:

• Use an AB type USB cable of less than 3 meters. USB 3.0 cables cannot be used

MIDI-OX shows my connected devices:

image.png.f9df4af6102ff166a5da45f6a0c435b7.png

MIDI-OX shows keypresses from my MK-449C on MIDI channel 2:

image.png.85feb6ed08f28416af37492b22d62c30.png

MIDI-OX shows data received:

image.png.2fe66406fa80826f20972be518f1637e.png

• Notes (JMO):
    • Don't let anyone tell you MIDI-OX is confusing. 
      • It can be overwhelming to grasp all at once.
      • It can be very simple to use if you learn the basic tools first.
    • For basic diagnosis, it is best to run MIDI-OX without other software that uses MIDI running (off; not booted).
Edited by User 905133
(4) fixed typos; (3) added screen shots + comments re MIDI-OX; (2) added statement from manual re: usb cable; (1) fixed typo

On 10/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, koala. said:

I just rechecked, now CbB recognizes my E463

3 hours ago, koala. said:

Look at this- MIDI-OX detects my E463 and its inputs! I have also installed all of Yamaha's Steinberg drivers for my keyboard, Cakewalk won't detect the MIDI inputs!

So, does it or does it not?
Are you saying in Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) that there is nothing listed in Preferences (P) for MIDI inputs? How about outputs?
How are you inserting the Neo Piano?

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

5 hours ago, koala. said:

1209650893_Screenshot(163).png.9a9d4635e63837d4b65a9c2d8227bccc.pngLook at this- MIDI-OX detects my E463 and its inputs! I have also installed all of Yamaha's Steinberg drivers for my keyboard, Cakewalk won't detect the MIDI inputs!

That's a step in the right direction. In my experience, if data is going into the computer and midi-ox sees it, Cakewalk sees it as long as I have the device / port routed correctly. I am not sure what you mean by "Cakewalk won't detect the MIDI inputs." To me, if the E463 shows up in preferences, Cakewalk is seeing the device.  Diagnostically, the next question I'd ask myself is "What then might cause the midi data to not be recorded onto a midi track?" and that would get me to look at other preferences (such as MIDI Driver Mode.  I use MME for my older midi gear as opposed to UWP.

image.png.ab3e0cc4ab2d661e68aa3f3489f684ed.png

Note: to change MIDI Driver Mode, access Preferences before a project is loaded.

Probably more important, though is your track routing. 

image.png.1f49d14b696fa4cda713d75ec9cfc3e3.png

image.png.c2edfb25d73802b7675d9b4d22841025.png

"All" shows all of the track control widgets. [ I ] shows the selected device. [ C ] shows that I am routing my MK-449C to a soft synth called SI-Electric Piano.

image.png.027f98607caef6080e71576e6bd73746.png

Note: the MIDI Echo / Input Echo button lets me hear what my MK-449 usb keyboard plays on my SI-Electric Piano Plug-in through the amp/mixer/speakers connected to my PC's Realtek Output. Top part of LED display shows I have audio.

image.png

image.png

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Probably more important, though is your track routing. 

Thank you so much, track routing works perfectly! But I still have one minor problem; I can still hear the keyboard's built-in piano voice. Any way to remedy that?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, koala. said:

Thank you so much, track routing works perfectly! But I still have one minor problem; I can still hear the keyboard's built-in piano voice. Any way to remedy that?

You'll have to check the keyboard's manual. Look for how to turn off "Local" sounds.
On my Yamaha, there's a dial that I can use to select local on or off.

• Like 1

There you go. With a little help and patience, you've taken a small but important step. Now get yourself a copy of the Cakewalk reference Guide and start to slowly start study it. It's a big book but don't be overawed by its size. It's in PDF format so you can search it to help answer questions.

It's a comprehensive guide to all things you need to know and then some. Apart from doing the tutorials mentioned in the earlier parts of the guide, it will familiarize you to "Cakewalk speak". Audio recording has its own language and getting to grips with the terminology will aid you in framing other questions you'll no doubt ask in due course.

Interactive Help is always available from within Cakewalk itself simply by hovering over an icon which triggers the Help Module to load relevant information in a window on the right of the screen by default. If it's not visible, select it from the Views Menu. Like most Cakewalk Views the window can be docked or dragged around and placed where you choose.   

Along with the others - welcome to the Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) forum.

To view and download the PDF, click the Cakewalk by BandLab forum menu and select Reference Guide PDF.

OR

Reference Guide here

BTW does the Koala moniker mean you're an Aussie. You'll find quite a few of us on here. I live in a small rural town west of Ballarat in Victoria.

Edited by Michael Vogel
added local info