A better way to find missing audio files...

Daryl L. Samuel

There is one. You can even create/select your own folders, from where to import/export or to save in.  

You can read the document where to find this, or how to create your own default audio folders within the preference window. You can also create one folder with subfolders outside of cakewalk and just select that one as your default imported audio folder. Experiment with this first in case you do not like it.

Each DAW uses their own language and terms on certain features that are unique only to that specific DAW. You might say Bounce to Clip here - another DAW will say Commit/Render to Clip. So, everything you need to know, you will find in the offline document. 

Edited by Will.
  • Great Idea 1

10 hours ago, Will. said:

You can read the document where to find this, or how to create your own default audio folders within the preference window...

...everything you need to know, you will find in the offline document. 

Watch it! Apparently, now you're a troll if you suggest someone peruse the documentation.

Edited by Byron Dickens
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Will. said:

There is one. You can even create/select your own folders, from where to import/export or to save in.  

You can read the document where to find this, or how to create your own default audio folders within the preference window. You can also create one folder with subfolders outside of cakewalk and just select that one as your default imported audio folder. Experiment with this first in case you do not like it.

Each DAW uses their own language and terms on certain features that are unique only to that specific DAW. You might say Bounce to Clip here - another DAW will say Commit/Render to Clip. So, everything you need to know, you will find in the offline document. 

This sounds more like adjusting settings and not a feature.

So I would have to cancel loading the project and then go into the Preferences and add the folder with the missing audio files?

22 hours ago, Daryl L. Samuel said:

This sounds more like adjusting settings and not a feature.

So I would have to cancel loading the project and then go into the Preferences and add the folder with the missing audio files?

Not so. You may be making assumptions based on your experience with another DAW. Like Will said, all DAWs have their own vocabulary. There are good tutorials showing you how to create a new project in Cakewalk and avoid the problems you're describing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Not so. You may be making assumptions based on your experience with another DAW. Like Will said, all DAWs have their own vocabulary. There are good tutorials showing you how to create a new project in Cakewalk and avoid the problems you're describing.

4 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

With proper file management and hygiene this wouldn't even be an issue.

Fair enough on both points... I guess I just want it a different way

But when was the last time you guys moved audio files to a different location or renamed a folder (for reasons)? When that happens and you have to, in some cases, point Cakewalk to each audio track one by one (for however long that takes before you can get to work), that's worth fixing in my book.

It's not like Cakewalk doesn't have (or had) competition... not to mention, the brand was dying not too long ago before BandLab showed up!

Anyway... Thanks, guys but stuff like this are why my Cakewalk days are numbered.

9 hours ago, Daryl L. Samuel said:

But when was the last time you guys moved audio files to a different location or renamed a folder (for reasons)? When that happens and you have to, in some cases, point Cakewalk to each audio track one by one (for however long that takes before you can get to work), that's worth fixing in my book

Again, with proper file management and hygiene, this isn't an issue.