ToneGym launches Free Music Theory 101: Interactive Crash Course

satya

https://www.tonegym.co/course/index

The Music Theory 101 Crash Course can help anyone learn and understand the language of music, its concepts, and how it is built.

The course is made of 7 chapters that cover the basics of music theory: notes, scales, intervals, chords, chord progressions, rhythm, and musical notation.

It offers interactive demonstrations, games, and online practice for a deeper understanding of musical concepts. The application also presents ear-training quizzes and challenges to accompany the learning.

Music Theory 101 Interactive Crash Course is free and available online.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

Start a c scale on d over a d minor chord and it's definitely dorian.

Last time I read the musictheory reddit page everything got above my head . I can't even understand what Jacob Collier is saying now

5 hours ago, bluzdog said:

That depends on the context.  Start a c scale on d over a d minor chord and it's definitely dorian.

That's what I am saying. You nailed it "over a D minor chord". If you play C D E F G A B  (notes), over a D minor chord, it's Dorian.

The key here is the chord and what notes you play.

Dorian has the minor 3rd. Phrygian too, but all minor 6th, Aeolian 3rd, 6th and 7th, all minor sounds, but diiferent character because of this.

Play the A "aeolian" scale over a D minor chord, it's still the Dorian sound.

3 hours ago, bluzdog said:

I disagree, Dorian has a major 6th, Aeolian has a minor 6th. To me it's a very different sound.

Record a vamp with a Dm chord only, play A Aoelian = sounds Dorian, even if you start your scale on A, what gives the mode sound is the relationship between the chord and the notes you play.

Play  D Dorian D E F G A B C over the Dm Chord, sounds Dorian

Play A Aeolian A B C D E F G over the Dm Chord, sounds Dorian

Play E Phrygian E F G A B C D over the Dm Chord, sounds Dorian

Play D Aeolian  D E F G A Bb C over the Dm Chord, sounds Aeolian

Play D Phrygian  D Eb F G A Bb C over the Dm Chord, sounds Phrygian

It's like if you play C major scale (Ionian) over a C chord, it sounds Ionic obviously,  but play the C Lydian scale over the same chord, it sounds Lydian, because of the augmented 4th. Or play C Myxolydian over the same C chord, it sounds Mixolydian: You can start the C Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian on any note, the differences between the aforementioned scales is what gives the sound over the chord.

BUT if you play a scale ON ITS own, yeah, you start your mode properly: D Dorian D E F G A B C.

Anyway, we don't play scales over the chords, usually, just some notes, and usually you use the specifc note(s) that give the chord its sound, plus passing notes.

• Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, Last Call said:

Record a vamp with a Dm chord only, play A Aoelian = sounds Dorian

That's because A aeolian is the 6th mode of C major. D dorian is the 2nd mode of C major. They're the same notes.  When you play A minor over a D minor chord you're actually playing D dorian. Calling it A aeolian when playing over a D minor chord misses the point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluzdog said:

That's because A aeolian is the 6th mode of C major. D dorian is the 2nd mode of C major. They're the same notes.  When you play A minor over a D minor chord you're actually playing D dorian. Calling it A aeolian when playing over a D minor chord misses the point. 

That's what I am trying to say 🤗

• Like 1

6 hours ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

Ok i will read this 10 more times ,n input the scale and play in keyboard 20 times to understand 

I understand modes but had a hard time understanding this thread. Here is a summary of what I understand this conversation to be saying, combined with a bit of my knowledge.

A mode defines a sequence of tone and semitone intervals in a scale. Let's consider this interval sequence (1)

T, T, S, T, T, T, S

Starting on the first position of this sequence, we have the Ionian mode. This matches what we typically learn to be a (Western) major scale:

Starting on C, you go up a tone to D, up a tone to E, semitone to F, tone to G, tone to A, tone to B, semitone back to C

This is the Ionian mode. However, you don't have to start at the first position. If we start at the second position of interval sequence (1), we get interval sequence (2):

T, S, T, T, T, S, T

Note that we have looped the sequence: the final T in interval sequence (2) is the first T in interval sequence (1). This is similar in concept of how after a B note, we go back to a C note.

If you play the white notes ascending on a keyboard starting from D, you will get interval sequence (2):

Starting on D, up a tone to E, semitone to F, tone to G, tone to A, tone to B, semitone to C, tone back to D

This is the Dorian mode.

Just as we started at the second position of interval sequence (1) [and looped when we ran out of intervals] to get the Dorian mode, you can start at other positions from interval sequence (1) to get other modes:

• Phrygian (position 3)
  • Lydian (position 4)
  • Mixolydian (position 5)
  • Aeolian (position 6)
  • Locrian (position 7)

The intervals between the notes we play determine the mode that we are playing in. Playing different chords as a backdrop to your mode may cause it to sound like a different mode (when taken out of context and held in a context itself), but it doesn't actually change the mode that we are playing in.

Edited by antler