S.L.I.P.

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Little-known fact: Californians have over 100 words for "earthquake."

Californians know 100 words <J> 😃

50 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

#1 is "oh sh*t, not again!"

#2 is "Why does it always seem to happen when I'm trying to do a #2 🤨

• Haha 2

Being a CA native and having been through enough earthquakes to just "shake them off" (See what I did there?), I actually got a little concerned when the thing kept going and then got a little stronger. I thought it was time to step into the doorway at that point.

Interesting stats I read after the earthquake. Good news/bad news: The good news is there's only a 5% chance of a larger quake in the near future. The bad news, there's a 50% chance of another quake in the near future. Rock and roll!

It is particularly unsettling when they last more than a few seconds. In the last big one, I stood in my driveway watching waves undulating through the concrete for about 30 seconds while my whole house swayed. This even though the epicenter was 90 miles away and 2 miles down.

The next one up here in the Pacific Northwest will likely be a subduction quake similar to the one that hit Anchorage in 1964. That one had a magnitude of 9.2, lasted four full minutes, tossed huge container ships onto the shore  and pretty much leveled the city. The only buildings left undamaged were log cabins, so next time you're in Alaska try to keep one in sight at all times.