Don't CHKDSK on drive in paths

Jim Hurley

Today I was running a CHKDSK on my D drive which is where I have all my music projects and paths in Cakewalk.

While waiting for it to complete, I opened Cakewalk without thinking and it automatically created all these folders in my AppData folder on C because D was unmounted during the scan.

Realizing my mistake I changed all the paths in preferences, reset my project folders, reset the default templates, etc. It took a while. Quite a while.

Maybe a warning before making all these changes would be helpful?

EDIT:

I use in an admin shell the command: "CHKDSK /F /R /B D:" to find all disk errors in files and unused space. This unmounts D

Edited by Jim Hurley

Interesting - when I go to start a disk check from properties->tools[check] on an NTFS drive, it says: " You can keep using the drive during the scan. If errors are found you can decide if you want to fix them." That makes it sound like it's not unmounted. Perhaps you are using CHKDSK differently for a special purpose.

That probably just uses the format:

CHKDSK /f <drive>

I use an administrative prompt:

CHKDSK /f /r /b <drive> 

/f - fix simple errors

/r - locate and relocate bad sectors in user files

/b - find bad clusters in unused areas of the drive

Edited by Jim Hurley

I'd say just don't run administrative system functions and try to run any programs. When I want to perform any maintenance, I do it as the last thing to ensure I don't touch something that may get in the way. Sucks when that kind of thing happens, but I don't know if it is CbB's responsibility for that - though I can see the usefulness of it telling you it can't find your existing paths.

• Great Idea 1