SALE!!! Hammers + Waves Wurli library $49 USD (works with free kontakt player)

PavlovsCat

Anyone who's seen my posts might have noticed that I am a huge fan of Wurlitzer electric pianos (we had a Wurli when I was a kid and I thought it was pure magic -- in fact, I still do think their sound is magic). This Wurli sample library from Sky Box Audio sounds gorgeous. THIS LIBRARY IS COMPATIBLE WITH THE FREE KONTAKT PLAYER.  

While most Wurli libraries sample a Wurlitzer 200A, Sky Box Audio sampled a rare Wurlitzer model 145B with an internal tube amp. "This particular model was the last console model to include a tube amp and was only manufactured for a single year! We've been totally in love with this thing the last month or so. It's just so insanely warm and deep sounding. It runs in the Hammers + Waves engine on Kontakt and comes with 50 inspiring presets. The intro price is $49 and the EP 145B will be regularly priced at $79 which makes this our most affordable Hammers + Waves release to date. You do not need to own any other Collections to run this one."

https://www.skyboxaudio.com/EP145B

Edited by PavlovsCat
Grammatical, clarity -- because I always catch a typo I missed on the first round!!!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daveiv said:

I love how Wurli sounds, despite I haven't played one.

@PavlovsCat how does this one compare to SoundPaint's 1972 Wurli and AcousticSamples' Wurlie?

This library is in a totally different league than SoundPaint's Wurli. That is, this library is vastly superior to the SoundPaint library. That's particularly noticeable when you hear the different dynamics of the library. 

I don't regret getting the SoundPaint Wurli for $20 USD -- but only because I can use it for layering and with SoundPaint effects. That's what I really like. Creating programs with it, layering it, with the other SoundPaint instruments and the built-in effects in it make it much better than it is as a standalone instrument. But the when I started spending more time with the  SoundPaint Wurli and comparing it to my other Wurli sample libraries, I found that the SoundPaint Wurli samples are kind of dull and lifeless and it completely misses the dynamics that make a Wurli great. AcousticSamples and this Hammer + Waves library are the complete opposite -- really lively and exciting to my ears. Now, I realize that is completely subjective. But what it is is a combination of how the recordings capture the high end, the almost glockenspiel-like bell sound of the Wurli, mix in the key noises and the dynamics of the instrument -- it is a different beast when played softly compared to when you really hammer the keys. AcousticSamples gets that perfect, IMO (caveat: that's based purely on listening to demos). 

To date, the best sounding Wurli libraries I've heard (based purely on demos -- I don't own any of them at this point) are:
#1 AcousticSamples Wurlie,
#2 Hammers + Waves 
#3 e-Instruments Wurli

As I presently have around 10 Wurli libraries and none even come close to being in the same league as those three, this Black Friday, I plan on scoping up my next Wurli library, which over at VI Control, the developer behind AcousticSamples said that he plans on putting his Wurlie on sale for Black Friday.  The only thing I don't like about the AcousticSamples is that it's in the UVI format, which I'm not crazy about (KONTAKT is my favorite sample library format).  I did put together a comparison of me playing the main blues riff in Beck's "Where It's At." I figured out from that that there is a problem with SoundPaint cutting off notes, that I reported to them, but will send over audio soon. But once I pick up my next Wurli library, I'll probably post my comparison here. I included both paid and free Wurli libraries I have. 

This is the e-Instruments one: 
https://e-instruments.com/instruments/pianos/session-keys-electric-w/ 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I guess, I should leave this here ;^)

I didn't even remember this model! Of course, you're there to check it out! @Simeon Amburgey, what are your feelings on Wurlis? You seem pretty inspired playing this! In fact, it's obvious that you absolutely love this library.  You can't hide it when a library or instrument inspires you. This one clearly does. I hear you playing Queen, Ray Charles and Doobie Brothers progressions! 

I wish I could play them like you! But even with my poor playing, I still get great joy playing Wurlis. 16 velocity layers -- maybe that's how this dev captures the great dynamics of this Wurli so well. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

4 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Now listen to the demos on AcousticSamples Wurli page. Yeah, I'm not sure I can avoid buying this one. It sounds perfect to my ears and it's not even an 200A (the demo labelled jazz impro/acoustic only really adds some great key noises -- beautiful, imo):  

https://www.acousticsamples.net/keys/wurlie

Have you tried their VReeds yet?

https://www.acousticsamples.net/keys/vreeds

6 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

The only thing I don't like about the AcousticSamples is that it's in the UVI format, which I'm not crazy about (KONTAKT is my favorite sample library format). 

Agreed. The UVI format puts me off for some reason, hard to explain just a preference. Really enjoyed Simeon's demo of the Skybox version, although the 145B tone is a bit different from the classic Wurli.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Right, me too. I was wondering how do they both compare. I see that the V series is very portable (~70mb) and highly playable (128 velocity steps).

I was listening to the VReed videos on my phone, and it's not really the place to evaluate,  but I preferred their Wurlie library due to the lively dynamics and key noises. That's really what causes me to like it so much.  But while I love its sound so much, I still may end up getting e-Instruments Wurli because it's in KONTAKT.  I'm really put off by the UVI format. 

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Agreed. The UVI format puts me off for some reason, hard to explain just a preference. Really enjoyed Simeon's demo of the Skybox version, although the 145B tone is a bit different from the classic Wurli.

I’m actually of the opposite persuasion, preferring UVI (Falcon) to Kontakt. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I'm put off by both, the UVI and Kontakt :D:D 

(but I love their libraries)

Haha I love both UVI and Kontakt libraries, what I really like about them is that the investment is not dependent on the developer continuing to support a plugin into the future. Because NI and UVI make money out of all licensed library sales, it's practically guaranteed they'll keep the goose that lays the golden eggs. 

Just the other week I bought the VKS-20 library from Hollowsun. For those who don't recognise the name, Steve Howell was behind Hollowsun and sadly passed away 8 years ago this November. I only got back into music making in 2020 so I only came across Hollowsun in 2021 I think. But VKS-20 is a wonderful library that lives on and continues to be a joy to use. I really dig the EPiano 2 from the MKS-20. 

On the topic of this hammers + waves Wurlitzer 145B I really loved the warm amplified sound in Simon's video. Thankfully I found I have some Wurli tones in Neo Soul Keys 2 that are pretty close once I add a bit of room reverb. The main thing missing at this point is an ability to play the keys like Simon can!