Corrupt Audio Region

chamlin

When opening a project, I got this message. But it doesn't say where that region is. I can't find anything but sure, it could be a part I'm not noticing is missing.

1.  Is there a way to figure this out?

2.  Is it on anyone else's wish list to have something more defined in the message?

Cakewalk_Corrupt_Region.png

1. Not easily - but it'll be the bit that has been replaced with silence (apologies if this sounds flippant - it's not meant to be).

There is something you could try, but I doubt if it'll help much more:

• Save your project
  • Go to the audio file directory and look at the most recently changed audio file - take a note of its filename
  • Right click on each clip and select "Associated Audio Files" - if one matches the filename, then that's the track its affected.

I've not found a way to easily get a list of the files and which track they belong to. I'd hoped ProjectScope ( http://adamczyk.com/images/projectscope.zip ) would show it, but it lists tracks and audio files separately.

2. Personally, I've only ever seen this message once. I guess it could tell you the audio file, and the time area where the corruption occurred... but that is working on the assumption that the relevant timing information hasn't also  been corrupted.

I appreciate this doesn't help much with your current situation, but here's a few things you could try to stop it happening in the future:

1. Run chkdisk on your drive.  A corrupted file could be a symptom of more serious issues with your hdd.

2. Consider having "Create one file per clip" checked (this is on the save dialog). This will ensure every clip resides in its own file, reducing the likelihood of any corruption affecting other clips. Note that this only affects clips created after you set this option. If you want to apply this to existing clips, you'll need to select each clip individually and right click->Bounce to clip(s).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chamlin said:

Thanks, that's both informative and helpful.

Wondering if most folks here use the "create one file per clip" option, and if there are any drawbacks.  ?

From what I can gather, the clips are all stored in one file for performance reasons.

Nowadays with faster HDD's and SSD's this isn't as much of an issue.

I guess if you've got lots and lots of small clips, there could be a slight drop in performance as it'll have to have many more files open, but personally I've not noticed any difference.

• Thanks 1

This ugly message appears not infrequently for me after I saved a versione of my work.

I really don't know why this issue appears.

However I I know a workaround to solve this nuisance.

Save the project as  bundle file. Open this  bundle file. Save it as normal file. The ugly message is disappeared

• Great Idea 2