SOLVED: SampleTank 4 crashes all my DAWs -- and I mean, ALL of them...

Amicus717

Has anyone started experiencing problems with ST4 crashing their DAWs? I have been having issues the last day or so: ST4 loads just fine, runs instruments just fine, but if I close the GUI, it crashes Cakewalk immediately. Does the same to Cubase 12 (and 11), Studio One 5 Artist and Reaper 6.

So far, I can make it happen without fail, every time.  And in every DAW I own.

I'm running the most recent install of SampleTank 4, the most recent update of Cakewalk (and Cubase 12, Cubase 11 and the other DAWs also), on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I've already deleted the ST4 app and reinstalled it at least twice, and I went through the mind-numbing task of re-installing the libraries, too. None of it has helped.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Update: I initially said this happens when I close the GUI or remove the instrument, but actually it happens when the GUI window is closed. It does NOT happen if I minimize the GUI or just remove the instrument without closing the GUI. But if I click the upper right hand "X" and close the GUI window, every DAW crashes without fail...

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 1

I can't say I have had this issue with Sampletank 4.22 and CbB.  (see my sig for my PC config)

Have you tried the VST2 variant? Does it also happen in stand alone?

Have you tried different sample rates, bit depths and sample buffer sizes?

I am going to assume you have updated the drivers for your Presonus Quantum 2632 (using website , not automatic updates) to no avail.

What graphics adapter are you using?  Have you update it's display driver (using website , not automatic updates)?

If using the CPU's Intel® UHD Graphics 630 then that driver is here:

https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/products/126790/graphics/intel-uhd-graphics-family/intel-uhd-graphics-630.html#drivers-software

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Promidi said:

What graphics adapter are you using?  Have you update it's display driver (using website , not automatic updates)?

@Amicus717^^^

This is a good idea to check, since the problem appears to happen when the GUI window is closed.

FYI: I just checked ST 4 v4.2.2.0 VST3 in Studio One 5 and the latest CbB. All good, even created and saved a 4-part multi in S1, then opened it in CbB. Opened and closed the plugin GUI several times in each DAW without any crashes.

Assuming Windows 10 is up to date, also make sure that you have the necessary Windows Visual C++ redistributables installed. Sometimes when some of those are missing or not up to date strange things can happen due to application dependencies. More likely the most recent ones needed for current software, and the older ones for legacy software.

This is the list of them installed on my Windows 10 PC (from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features):

Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, folks. Much appreciated.

However, I got a weird solution that seems to have fixed the issue...

I contacted IK Multimedia support last night, and they got back to me today via email. They asked for a screenshot of the library paths in ST4. So I opened SampleTank 4 in standalone mode, clicked the gear icon and checked what path(s) SampleTank was showing for my sounds and libraries.

All my SampleTank libs are on a large 2GB WD Black drive, and I noticed that same path was listed twice. No idea how that happened, but when I deleted the duplicate path and then checked SampleTank in my DAWs, the problem went away. I can now close the GUI in Cubase (11 and 12), Cakewalk and Reaper, without the program crashing. I can delete SampleTank from a project, add it back, mess around with it, etc, and all seems fine.

So, problem solved...maybe? I think it's kind of weird that a duplicate library path would crash the program and/or my DAW...

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

So, problem solved...maybe? I think it's kind of weird that a duplicate library path would crash the program and/or my DAW...

Hope that solved it!

I recall that when SampleTank 4 was first released, the library paths were a bit flaky. I used 2 library paths, one for legacy ST3 libraries and one for all new ST4 libraries.

At some point when I ran an update, or reinstalled ST4, I would often end up with two paths for ST4, and the ST3 path would disappear. Or something like that... and I would have to manually adjust it.

I thought they fixed that as it's been stable for a couple of years now.

3 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, folks. Much appreciated.

However, I got a weird solution that seems to have fixed the issue...

I contacted IK Multimedia support last night, and they got back to me today via email. They asked for a screenshot of the library paths in ST4. So I opened SampleTank 4 in standalone mode, clicked the gear icon and checked what path(s) SampleTank was showing for my sounds and libraries.

All my SampleTank libs are on a large 2GB WD Black drive, and I noticed that same path was listed twice. No idea how that happened, but when I deleted the duplicate path and then checked SampleTank in my DAWs, the problem went away. I can now close the GUI in Cubase (11 and 12), Cakewalk and Reaper, without the program crashing. I can delete SampleTank from a project, add it back, mess around with it, etc, and all seems fine.

Saw this to late, but this was my initial thought when i read your post. Had the same issue and was searching for solutions, after i discovered the copy path, i tried to delete one of these and no problems since then. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

......, and I noticed that same path was listed twice. No idea how that happened, but when I deleted the duplicate path and then checked SampleTank in my DAWs, the problem went away...........

So, problem solved...maybe?

Thanks for reporting that back to us.  Another thing to check with a misbehaving Sampletank 4

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

Thanks for reporting that back to us.  Another thing to check with a misbehaving Sampletank 4

Happy to help. It's good to build up a store of solutions folks can search for later.

I do think it's kind of odd that a library pathway issue could cause the app to crash, and bring my DAW with it. It's the last thing I'd have expected when trying to troubleshoot the issue. But it was the first thing the IK Multimedia support person asked me. Very helpful, but it makes me think they've seen this issue before...

Edited by Amicus717

2 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

But it was the first thing the IK Multimedia support person asked me. Very helpful, but it makes me think they've seen this issue before...

They probably have.... which makes me wonder why IKM have not changed ST4 to not allows this scenario....  instead of crashing....

9 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

I do think it's kind of odd that a library pathway issue could cause the app to crash, and bring my DAW with it. It's the last thing I'd have expected when trying to troubleshoot the issue. But it was the first thing the IK Multimedia support person asked me. Very helpful, but it makes me think they've seen this issue before...

Makes sense!

6 hours ago, Promidi said:

They probably have.... which makes me wonder why IKM have not changed ST4 to not allows this scenario....  instead of crashing....

IKM seems to lag behind other developers in quality control and proper beta testing before release. It's almost as if pre-release buyers of any new product are signing up for extended beta testing. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy their products (and I have most of them), but the affordability often comes at the expense of stability!

• Like 1

I still have issues with vst3 SampleTank it will crash Cakewalk everytime... I have already reported it to Cakewalk but the problem still persist .. I can crash Cakewalk without fail with vst3 SampleTank the VST2 works great no issues no crashing but vst3 for SampleTank and some other vsts crash CakeWalk all the time so I stick to vst2s right now.

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Considering the excellence of their sound quality, it's unfortunate, but they do seem to eventually get things sorted, even if it takes a while.

I have to confirm this from personal experience. 

In the time Sampletank 4 has been around, I have had two specific issues that were fixed (and acknowledged in the change logs) in subsequent updates. 

One was to do with attack times at high velocities and the other was to do with pitch bend ranges not being what was actually dialled in.

• Like 1