Bug? Please check

JoseC

Assignable Controls created  for a synth in the Synth Rack should be recalled every time the synth is inserted again. This is true when inserted again from the Synth Rack, but when inserting the synth either from the Add Track button in the top left corner of the Track View, or a Track Template with that synth and the Assignable Controls already created, no controls show. 

I also find annoying that Remote Control setup for the Assignable Controls created is lost even when they are recalled properly, but I believe that this  has been so for ages, i.e. this is a non feature rather than a bug. It would be great that Remote Control data could be saved with Track Templates.

I found out this when trying to find a way to control the  macro knobs of the new NI  Massive X from my master keyboard. It is already clunky from Native Instruments side, since actual midi learn for the synth has not been implemented yet, but also having to assign them to the 16 knobs in my master keyboard every time I insert the synth is a real pain.  I tried with Z3TA+2, too, just to be sure, same results.

Just a few comments before my test results.

• Whether assignable controls are added to the synth depends on the "Recall Assignable Controls" setting in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.
  • The Add Track does not use the Insert Soft Synth Options settings and it does not recall assignable controls. It probably should have this option in the advanced settings or the synth rack should have an option to recall assignments.

So I started tested earlier today using SI-Bass and CbB 2019-05. I believe it failed like this

On 7/6/2019 at 9:45 PM, JoseC said:

Assignable Controls created  for a synth in the Synth Rack should be recalled every time the synth is inserted again. This is true when inserted again from the Synth Rack, but when inserting the synth either from the Add Track button in the top left corner of the Track View, or a Track Template with that synth and the Assignable Controls already created, no controls show. 

Ultimately, I saved the project with a control assigned to the Master volume.

I repeated the test with Platinum 2017-10 with the same results (I think) and ultimately overwrote the project saved with CbB.

Then tested in X3e. It does not have the Add Track menu but all other methods worked OK and then I overwrote the project again.

Retested in Platinum. It was working OK.

Retested in CbB. It was working correctly.

Just fired up CbB again, used different synths and controls are recalled using every method except Add Track (which is expected).

IOW, after the tests I ran this morning I am no longer able to reproduce the problem.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:05 PM, scook said:

Just a few comments before my test results.

• Whether assignable controls are added to the synth depends on the "Recall Assignable Controls" setting in the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog.
  • The Add Track does not use the Insert Soft Synth Options settings and it does not recall assignable controls. It probably should have this option in the advanced settings or the synth rack should have an option to recall assignments.

So I started tested earlier today using SI-Bass and CbB 2019-05. I believe it failed like this

Ultimately, I saved the project with a control assigned to the Master volume.

I repeated the test with Platinum 2017-10 with the same results (I think) and ultimately overwrote the project saved with CbB.

Then tested in X3e. It does not have the Add Track menu but all other methods worked OK and then I overwrote the project again.

Retested in Platinum. It was working OK.

Retested in CbB. It was working correctly.

Just fired up CbB again, used different synths and controls are recalled using every method except Add Track (which is expected).

IOW, after the tests I ran this morning I am no longer able to reproduce the problem.

Thanks for your reply, scook.

So, it is confirmed that Add Track does not recall Assignable Controls.

I tested again with a Track template saved with all assignable Controls created, and that method does not recall them either, as I stated in my  original post.

That should be specified in the manual, then, because it states that Assignable Controls can be recalled every time the synth is inserted again, after being created once. Track templates are my preferred way of inserting synths, but that method is not supported. 

Remote Control assignments are also not saved with track templates, this should also be improved, because makes that feature incomplete, IMHO.