Old versions

Cassandra Lesh

Does anyone have an older version of cakewalk laying around?  Like music creator or guitar tracks. Maybe earlier sonar. 

I started out on guitar tracks 2 back in 2000. I created a lot of music on that. Even a full album with the band I was in. I switched to sonar 7 when it came out. it was discounted so I went for it.  I did like the features although it was quite cpu heavy.  I lost everything in a fire two years ago. I'm just now getting back to making music. 

I was given a used laptop with a quad core 2.4 64bit and it's running xp pro. I really prefer it over the newer windows. I installed the free bandlab version on my mom's win 8 desktop which looks like x1 did, I tried the trial version when it came out and hated it.  That's why I was still using sonar 7. The bandlad has a lot but I don't like it, it's too busy and I know you can close those views on the side but even with the edit window at full screen, it still doesn't seem very user friendly. I've been using it for a couple months, just working with midi loops and recording guitar. I really am looking for an old version. I have good money for a good copy.

44 minutes ago, Cassandra Lesh said:

I switched to sonar 7 when it came out. it was discounted so I went for it.

Contact Support about getting access to your account on the old site if you've  forgotten your credentials, and you can download it and get the serial and reg. code here:

https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Products 

That said, I highly recommend you keep working with CbB until you get used to it. It's so much more capable in so many ways it's worth the slight inefficiencies in real estate usage that everyone complained about when  X1 came out. 

Edited by David Baay

Cakewalk changed their user account database in 2014. At that time.  It was up to the user to create a new account in order for the old account data to get migrated. If the user failed to create a new account while Cakewalk was still in business, there is nothing BandLab can do to restore access to their old purchasing information.

Moreover, prior to SONAR X1, none of the SONAR series were available as a complete download. SONAR 8.5 was the first downloadable upgrade but it did not contain a full version of the DAW instead relying on SONAR 8 already being installed. Any product prior to this requires install disks. BandLab cannot furnish replacement disks for Cakewalk products.

Okay,  I thought they addressed the account issue and had fogotten the links to older products just go to a page that says"No Downloads Available" (think I relearend that a while ago when I built my new laptop starting with S8).

So have we ever gotten a definitive answer from Bandlab on the saleability of old licences, given that "Cakewalk" is no more?

Being a sentimental packrat, I'm not really interested in parting with mine, just curious.

BandLab did not purchase the Cakewalk company. They purchased some of the company's assets including the codebase and servers containing the SSO database, forum, user account info and product activation.

If a user did not create a SSO account in 2014-2017, BandLab has no record of the user and what they purchased.

BandLab has no say on what can be done with old Cakewalk products, that would be up to Gibson, they still own the Cakewalk company.

18 hours ago, Cassandra Lesh said:

I don't remember ever registering sonar 7. I never even got on that forum. I really never visited the website. I had bought the software from musician's friend.

If you purchased Sonar 7 from musician friends,  then you had to register it to get it activated and to do that you needed to create an account with Cakewalk for online registration.   Go to the cakewalk site and enter your email address and then press submit and next, select the link under the email address line, "Forgot Password" Check to see if you receive an email in about a day, (We are in different time zone),  and see if you receive an email to reset the password.

https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fMy-Account

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 5:18 PM, scook said:

BandLab did not purchase the Cakewalk company.

BandLab has no say on what can be done with old Cakewalk products, that would be up to Gibson, they still own the Cakewalk company.

Wait, how is it handled? If the original Cakewalk team is working for BandLab under the Cakewalk brand, how aren't they owning them? Maybe they own Cakewalk but not Sonar. Are you sure about this? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 5:48 AM, SVSX said:

Wait, how is it handled? If the original Cakewalk team is working for BandLab under the Cakewalk brand, how aren't they owning them? Maybe they own Cakewalk but not Sonar. Are you sure about this? 

To my understanding, what Bandlab own is the code, and the "Cakewalk" trademark and logo (and presumably, trademarks for some of the other software products that used to be sold by the Cakewalk company). They don't own all of the code or trademarks for every software product that was ever sold under the Cakewalk brand.  They did NOT buy Cakewalk the company, just some of the stuff that Cakewalk the company owned.

The company that was named Cakewalk, Incorporated, no longer exists. It ceased to exist 5 years ago. The only legal connection that Bandlab has to the old Cakewalk company is ownership of the trademark "Cakewalk," which it's using as the name for what was once the Cakewalk company's flagship product. Some of Bandlab's developers and support staff used to work at Cakewalk, Inc., but they now work for Bandlab (my suspicion is that a number of them do so on a contract basis).

Any contract or agreement that a license holder had with Cakewalk Inc. is in limbo because Cakewalk, Inc. was dissolved and nobody bought the company (unless the license agreements somehow specified Gibson as the parent company). Bandlab only purchased some of their ideas and computers.

Bandlab have no legal obligation to make the products of the defunct Cakewalk company available for download by the people who owned licenses for them. They're only doing it for the sake of good will, and they won't be doing it forever. I'm actually a bit surprised that they've kept that licensing server online for such a long time. Given the friendliness of Bandlab's business practices, I'm sure that they'll give plenty of notice before the server shuts down for good.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 11:50 PM, Cassandra Lesh said:

I don't like it, it's too busy and I know you can close those views on the side but even with the edit window at full screen, it still doesn't seem very user friendly. I've been using it for a couple months, just working with midi loops and recording guitar. I really am looking for an old version. I have good money for a good copy.

If you really can't get Cakewalk by Bandlab to work for you, I'd suggest taking your good money and trying some other programs out. The first one that comes to my mind is Mixcraft, which has a simpler UI and is quite reasonably priced. Very solid program, and if you just need the features you had in SONAR 7, they'll supply that and more. There's also  MAGIX Music Creator.

On 11/5/2022 at 8:48 AM, SVSX said:

If the original Cakewalk team is working for BandLab under the Cakewalk brand, how aren't they owning them? 

I am not sure what the rules of different countries are but from what I have seen, in the US employees generally do not own the company they work for.  

• 2 weeks later...