The Cardinal - An Original Ragtime Piece

jwnicholson78

This is a song I originally wrote about 10 years ago.  After a long pause, I recently got back into recording and re-did this song from the ground up.  It was a lot of fun to use this to learn all the features in the newest version Cakewalk.

The Cardinal

Now by popular demand - the solo piano verson!  :)  I used the Gentleman from Kontakt for this one.

The Cardinal - solo piano.mp3

Edited by jwnicholson78

Excellent! Right up there with Scott Joplin. I don't think you need a drum track or anything else for this genre, but if you're getting back into DAWs and you have all these VSTs to play around with then can't blame you for adding something in. 😁

Loved it. Joplin would have been proud if this were his. The drums I admit were unexpected, and while they are cool they are I think superflous and kind of distract. The horns, same thing. Not to be all purity here - the filled-out band has a fun quality as well. I like how you mixed the piano way out front, that's the entree.

It's really cool to hear someone's original ragtime, you don't get that much around here. Extra points for originality!

thanks,

-Tom

Hmm, well it seems the drums aren't too popular which is a bummer since I spent a long time on them 🤣

For what it's worth I was shooting for a cross between Scott Joplin and Professor Longhair, where he often has a drum, horns and bass backing him.  Well, at least I got the Joplin part down !  😀

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Jeff

I have no knowledge about what defines ragtime so I can’t speak to what should or shouldn’t be part of a ragtime song.  What I do know is that I really like this tune, drums, horns and all.  It instantly made me think of the movie The Sting.  Fun tune...thanks for sharing.😊

On 7/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, amiller said:

I have no knowledge about what defines ragtime so I can’t speak to what should or shouldn’t be part of a ragtime song.  What I do know is that I really like this tune, drums, horns and all.  It instantly made me think of the movie The Sting.  Fun tune...thanks for sharing.😊

Thanks!  I really appreciate it.

Jeff, I checked out a couple of Professor Longhair YT videos since I wasn't familiar with him. Gave me a better idea of what you were going for so I listened to your song again. Have to say the drums are a pretty cool accompaniment and the horns seem to fit in perfectly. I'm impressed with your piano composition - really melodic and fun.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:25 PM, bjornpdx said:

Jeff, I checked out a couple of Professor Longhair YT videos since I wasn't familiar with him. Gave me a better idea of what you were going for so I listened to your song again. Have to say the drums are a pretty cool accompaniment and the horns seem to fit in perfectly. I'm impressed with your piano composition - really melodic and fun.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

What a great and fun song.  To me it sounds as if you were trying adapt the early 20th Century ragtime style to the current time.  I got the same impression from Professor Longhair for his era.  For me it works!  I wouldn't worry about the drums they work.  The same thing with the horns.  To me they don't strike me as the pioneering style of ragtime but in this song and styling they work.

Good stuff and thanks for posting!

On 7/11/2019 at 11:10 AM, freddy j said:

What a great and fun song.  To me it sounds as if you were trying adapt the early 20th Century ragtime style to the current time.  I got the same impression from Professor Longhair for his era.  For me it works!  I wouldn't worry about the drums they work.  The same thing with the horns.  To me they don't strike me as the pioneering style of ragtime but in this song and styling they work.

Good stuff and thanks for posting!

Thanks, freddy!

On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 AM, daryl1968 said:

love it JW - I also agree about the drums - maybe drop them out completely? There's enough rhythm everywhere else in the track to carry it.

Love a bit of ragtime.

Thanks for listening and the feedback, daryl.  Ragtime is a lot fun, isn't it? 

So it seems the drum tally so far is four against and three for.  So far the 'nays' have it 😂

I enjoy listening to this type of piano music ..

Your tune is certainly a scorcher.... Caliente baby ....Mas Caliente.

I think you did a good job with the drums , the only problem I hear here is i think you used all the wrong types of drums ...insert a Homer Simpson smiley

If you ever decide to redo the drums make sure you also throw a Tuba in there ...

FWIW I hear a marching snare , a big ole bass drum , a wash board and a few of the other typical drum corps type of sounds .

Hey let me ask you something OT ..are you the guy that posted the cool pic of the Donkey on your honeymoon ?

all the best,

Kenny

1 hour ago, Kenny Wilson said:

I enjoy listening to this type of piano music ..

Your tune is certainly a scorcher.... Caliente baby ....Mas Caliente.

I think you did a good job with the drums , the only problem I hear here is i think you used all the wrong types of drums ...insert a Homer Simpson smiley

If you ever decide to redo the drums make sure you also throw a Tuba in there ...

FWIW I hear a marching snare , a big ole bass drum , a wash board and a few of the other typical drum corps type of sounds .

Hi Kenny,

Many thanks!  Good suggestions there.  I especially like the idea of adding a Tuba!

1 hour ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Hey let me ask you something OT ..are you the guy that posted the cool pic of the Donkey on your honeymoon ?

Ah, the famous two-legged donkey of Santorini!  Yep, that's me 🤣

two-legged donkey of Santorini

I'm impressed you remembered, since it's been like ten years since I last posted here.  Impressive.

Great to hear from you Kenny!

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Thanks 1

I like this tune. Being from the New Orleans area it didn't even phase me about the drums. I've heard it a lot like that out this way.  A tuba would be cool in there though. That's a good idea! : )

I'd leave the drums in as is. But with the tools we have, throw some marching drums in there as Kenny suggested and see what you get. If you like it, post another version for us to listen to.

My Grandad used to play the old ivories back in the day, especially at Christmas when the whole family would gather 'round ...this was his style. Thanks for the moment ..... and the drums ? .. leave em I say, they sound ok to my ears.

Steve

On 7/13/2019 at 11:44 PM, Grem said:

I like this tune. Being from the New Orleans area it didn't even phase me about the drums. I've heard it a lot like that out this way.  A tuba would be cool in there though. That's a good idea! : )

I'd leave the drums in as is. But with the tools we have, throw some marching drums in there as Kenny suggested and see what you get. If you like it, post another version for us to listen to.

Thanks so much.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:11 AM, SPAK said:

My Grandad used to play the old ivories back in the day, especially at Christmas when the whole family would gather 'round ...this was his style. Thanks for the moment ..... and the drums ? .. leave em I say, they sound ok to my ears.

Steve

I appreciate the listen and the feedback.

• Like 1