Hello from an old Cakewalk user

jwnicholson78

After almost 10 years of not really recording or writing anything (having kids will do that to you!)  I finally started to get back into it, and thought I would upgrade to the newest version of Sonar.  So imagine my surprise when I found out that Cakewalk the company was no more and instead had been bought by Bandlab.  And, best of all, the latest and greatest version can be had for FREE!!! 

I feel a little like Rip Van Winkle right now.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone here.  I look to playing with all the new features I didn't know existed and don't have to pay for 😀

Jeff

• Like 3

Welcome back jw!!!!

Yep things are mysteriously different yet the same. 

I Am feverishly trying to start recording again also. 

good luck and have fun!

Edited by bayoubill
the irs's true meaning is " theirs"
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bayoubill said:

Welcome back jw!!!!

Yep things are mysteriously different yet the same. 

I Am feverishly trying to start recording again also. 

good luck and have fun!

Thanks bayoubill!

It's fun to get back into it after such a long time, but it feels like I am having to relearn almost everything from scratch again!

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Well the licensing's changed since you hung around, but the devs have remained and they've turned around.

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Thanks, Erik!

Well,  I have to say, I was pretty happy to find out I get the latest and greatest version without having to pay any upgrade fee.  That was a pleasant surprise!

• Like 1

You missed out on all the excitement! We've been through some dark times. Gibson acquired Cakewalk and proceeded to treat it like an unwanted stepchild. Although they did give Craig Anderton a job for awhile.

Then when it was abruptly announced that CW was ceasing operations altogether, there was panic as many scrambled to find an alternate DAW in case SONAR stopped working after some future Windows update. Even diehards like me who were planning on using SPlat forever prudently investigated other DAWs (I bought Samplitude as a fallback but never really used it). So when BandLab came through as the white knight a couple months later, there was a collective sigh of relief.

Now things are better than ever. The software is no longer on an artificial annual release schedule dictated by marketing, now replaced by rolling updates. The head count over at Cakewalk is smaller now, but we still have Noel so we're OK. Any old projects you might have on disk can be loaded up into the new Cakewalk by Bandlab, no problem. But keep SONAR installed, as CbB doesn't come with all the third-party plugins and instruments that were bundled with SONAR;  almost all of them are still compatible with CbB.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bitflipper said:

You missed out on all the excitement! We've been through some dark times. Gibson acquired Cakewalk and proceeded to treat it like an unwanted stepchild. Although they did give Craig Anderton a job for awhile.

Then when it was abruptly announced that CW was ceasing operations altogether, there was panic as many scrambled to find an alternate DAW in case SONAR stopped working after some future Windows update. Even diehards like me who were planning on using SPlat forever prudently investigated other DAWs (I bought Samplitude as a fallback but never really used it). So when BandLab came through as the white knight a couple months later, there was a collective sigh of relief.

Now things are better than ever. The software is no longer on an artificial annual release schedule dictated by marketing, now replaced by rolling updates. The head count over at Cakewalk is smaller now, but we still have Noel so we're OK. Any old projects you might have on disk can be loaded up into the new Cakewalk by Bandlab, no problem. But keep SONAR installed, as CbB doesn't come with all the third-party plugins and instruments that were bundled with SONAR;  almost all of them are still compatible with CbB.

Thanks!  I had heard about the sale to Gibson, but all the other stuff is news to me.  Interesting to read.