The Best vsti, under 250

kakku

I'm wondering why Halion Sonic 3 is not mentioned here. When I read the hype(?) I got the impression that it would be kind of an earth shattering vsti. A bad point is that it's a large download and if they offer it with a slow connection it would suck to get it. Also my ssd has only 40 gigs free space and i would have to put on my slowish ext usb drive. I'm also getting that only way to get sounds I like is to program them which I don't like

Edited by kakku

6 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

@kakku What do you mean they have changed the licencing thingy?

When i put the serial number it is too short or long. I have also licence in the usb key for Sem V but it does not work anymore because they changed something

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kakku said:

When i put the serial number it is too short or long. I have also licence in the usb key for Sem V but it does not work anymore because they changed something

Login to you Arturia account and raise a ticket they will very quickly sort you out @kakku

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, kakku said:

I have sampled libraries especially guitar(Aas and Heavyocity's Serpent) and I prefer them. I have a need for especially  dance music style synth sound even though I already have that genre oriented synths. I just don't find sounds that I really like. SampleTank has some nice ones and Synthmasters too. I get the feeling that synth programmers make complex sounds to show how incredible sounds their synth can do and then let users to make sounds they can use. Bit weird imo. 

I frequently see Nexus recommended for dance music style, and it's regarded as a "ROMpler", so it's good for the non-programmer. https://refx.com/nexus/

It start at $249.99 (which puts it just under your $250 limit), and many factory expansions are available.

As far as the u-he synths go, they are probably some of the best, especially if you are into tweaking and programming. But synths like Diva are intended to model the sound of vintage analog synths. Excellent sound quality, but you would probably need to tweak it to get your sounds. Zebra is a programmer's dream synth with endless possibilities for designing "way out there" sounds. Instead, you could try their Hive synth which is more oriented to modern music. $149 and a demo is available.  Scroll down the page and click on the "Demo tracks" link to hear some demo tracks made with Hive 2: https://u-he.com/products/hive/

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, Wookiee said:

I have found their support to excellent normally get a result in 24 hours.

Are you using the Arturia Software centre to install and manage the software @kakku?

Thanks for the info. I cannot remember 100% certain what way I used. I will check later when I have time or feel 'brave'. 

On 7/10/2019 at 5:30 PM, abacab said:

I frequently see Nexus recommended for dance music style, and it's regarded as a "ROMpler", so it's good for the non-programmer. https://refx.com/nexus/

It start at $249.99 (which puts it just under your $250 limit), and many factory expansions are available.

As far as the u-he synths go, they are probably some of the best, especially if you are into tweaking and programming. But synths like Diva are intended to model the sound of vintage analog synths. Excellent sound quality, but you would probably need to tweak it to get your sounds. Zebra is a programmer's dream synth with endless possibilities for designing "way out there" sounds. Instead, you could try their Hive synth which is more oriented to modern music. $149 and a demo is available.  Scroll down the page and click on the "Demo tracks" link to hear some demo tracks made with Hive 2: https://u-he.com/products/hive/

Sounds pretty good. Still I get the feeling that Halion Sonic would be the best under 250 euros synth. Actually it includes many synths if I understood correctly. But I get also the impression that there are not many Halion Sonic users for some, perhaps quality, reason

Thank you gentlemen for all the good info and tips. Still I'm uncertain which way to go. Kontakt route would give me access to many freebies, but still HS feels kind of best choice. I have the first Halion Sonic and although it is old it sounds good

1 minute ago, kakku said:

Thank you gentlemen for all the good info and tips. Still I'm uncertain which way to go. Kontakt route would give me access to many freebies, but still HS feels kind of best choice. I have the first Halion Sonic and although it is old it sounds good

Did you try the free Halion Sonic 3 trial yet? Fully functional for 30 days. Included with the Halion 6 trial.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_trial_versions/halion.html

• Thanks 1

I tried to try the halion trial but the install soon found out that I had a nearly working Sonic one on my comp and decided to install an update version. When i tried to use it told it me about sonic problem with elicencer and did not want to work. Fine. I think it may be best that I don't buy such a expensive thingy. It might reduce my productivity if i started to get pressure to make great music as I would own perhaps the best tools.  I think I better buy something less pressure inducing tool. I like what the reviews say about go2 by Papen. And it is only 5 tenners. Thanks to all who participated in this 'soul search' of some kind. 

P.S. I also bought about 50 presets for the synthmaster and some of them i really liked. More than what I can say about Sektor or many other instruments I've bought

On 7/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, kakku said:

I'm wondering why Halion Sonic 3 is not mentioned here

If my understanding is correct, Halion in Steinberg's competitor to Kontakt.

My personal preference would be with Kontakt: last I read, Kontakt has a larger variety of libraries, and you don't have to bother with elicenser either. NI also occasionally offer some great deals on Kontakt library bundles.

• Thanks 1