The Best vsti, under 250

kakku

Hi. I'm trying to buy the 'ultimate' under 250 euros synth thingy with sounds 'I can use'.  Meaning I am looking for a synth similar to Halion Sonic 3, where there is not  too many  'space inferno' sounds. I'm already thinking about getting Halion Sonic 3 but I would be very thankful if you nice people could offer me some advice about other software synthy things. I have the sonivox and air bundles, Halion Sonic one, sektor, ascension, carbon elektra, lush 101, SampleTank 4 Se, synthmaster one and 2 among some other paid and free synths. I have asked this same thing before about maybe 3 years ago but i don' remember how that went. My intention is to get something that would satisfy my craving for a versatile thingy with sounds that are not similar to klaportshiyesh. You get my intention I think . Sadly this is not some of the cheap times, with incredible prices. I know this is (perhaps) a silly question especially as I got many underused synths.  I don't want anything classical music oriented instrument collections

Edited by kakku

19 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Take a look at Synthmaster 2.9 (rather than synthmaster one, which is a different synth).

IMO it's one of the most versatile synths out there.

Thanks for the idea but I got that one already. It came to my mind that this thread could be useful also to other people than me so this thread could be worth answering

Klayportshiyesh??? 😳

Do you have kontakt yet? It probably covers a lot of the territory you already have, but it is the very definition of versatile. Plus it puts you in the realm of the various third party libraries, which is where the magic lies. The expensive magic.

Or, Dune 3 is worth a look. 

• Thanks 1

if you don't have Kontakt, well that would be my best bet. If you have any Kontakt library,  you can update for $249.00 US as a cross grade.  If you don't, you can always buy a cheap library and save a couple of bucks.  Or you can wait for another deal. I just upgraded from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6, during their last deal promotion for $49.00.

• Thanks 1

First you should decide if you want a synth or a rompler/sampler or some combination of the two.  The "space inferno" issue is related to the presets or samples that the "synth" ships with. You can generally create a wide range of sounds from a true synthesizer even just using basic oscillators or waveforms and filters, and if you are getting sounds you do not like from the synths you own, then I expect it is because you have not learned to program them to your taste. Of course if you are using a rompler, you will usually just get what someone else thought would make an impressive demo for the people the designer believes will buy the most copies, or easily recognizable (clichéd) patches sampled from "vintage" synths.  If you are trying to make music using sampled wood and wire instruments, that sound passably genuine, then Kontakt has the advantage that it ships with a fairly large library, and that the full version (as opposed to the player) will often play libraries offered for free by others. The new version includes the ability to use wavetable instruments as well, but rather than buy that (especially if you have to pay list) I would recommend an investment of time and study in how to program the stuff you already own. Something like Syntorial might be a better investment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kakku said:

Hi. I'm trying to buy the 'ultimate' under 250 euros synth thingy with sounds 'I can use'.  Meaning I am looking for a synth similar to Halion Sonic 3, where there is not  too many  'space inferno' sounds. I'm already thinking about getting Halion Sonic 3 but I would be very thankful if you nice people could offer me some advice about other software synthy things. I have the sonivox and air bundles, Halion Sonic one, sektor, ascension, carbon elektra, lush 101, SampleTank 4 Se, synthmaster one and 2 among some other paid and free synths. I have asked this same thing before about maybe 3 years ago but i don' remember how that went. My intention is to get something that would satisfy my craving for a versatile thingy with sounds that are not similar to klaportshiyesh. You get my intention I think . Sadly this is not some of the cheap times, with incredible prices. I know this is (perhaps) a silly question especially as I got many underused synths.  I don't want anything classical music oriented instrument collections

I don't think you have made it clear yet whether you prefer emulations or samples of "real" instruments, or want to use completely synthesized sounds. It appears from your list that you already own a bit of both types of virtual instruments. It would also help to know what style of music you are into.

I get that you don't want classical music oriented collections (which implies to me no orchestral sample libraries), but that does not exclude other real instruments like guitars, basses, pianos, organs, jazz brass and woodwinds, drums, etc.

I would suggest that some of the previous comments about Kontakt are right on as far as "real" instrument coverage. It's like SampleTank, but with extensive 3rd party instrument libraries.

For pure synthesizers, there are a range of popular options, but many of the most popular ones today are supplied with presets for trance and dance machines used by the EDM crowd. A synth really isn't genre specific, and can be programmed and used for any style of music. It is always recommended to first learn to program  a  virtual analog synth  (and there are several great free ones available), before plunging into  buying an expensive commercial mega-synth. I really like the SynthMasters and find them quite satisfying.

There truly isn't "one synth to replace them all".

Except maybe for Omnisphere, but I just can't bring myself to drop $500 on a synth. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The advice above regarding programming synth sounds is worth considering... There will be times when you will want to commit ideas quickly so you can move on, and tweaking something will end up being far faster than searching presets.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Klayportshiyesh??? 😳

Do you have kontakt yet? It probably covers a lot of the territory you already have, but it is the very definition of versatile. Plus it puts you in the realm of the various third party libraries, which is where the magic lies. The expensive magic.

Or, Dune 3 is worth a look. 

Klayportshiyesh is just something that I used to describe awful useless sounds that fir some reason most synths come with.

I don't have kontakt but i will take a look at the free stuff it would get me into. Clumsy talk, sorry. Dune 3 would be great but seems expensive when comparing to other synths. I took a look at papen's go2 and it actually looked pretty good especially for the low price. It was also in some best buy lists. But what feels funny is that halion sonic 3 was not in any best buy lists that I found.. it sounds pretty good and comes with a lot of stuff. Actually perhaps even too much as i have no idea how fast the download would be and it sucks to download lots of stuff with low speed.

Edited by kakku

16 hours ago, Eric Yeoman said:

Reaktor might be a good buy, lots of interesting stuff in the user library.

Or have a look at the U-he stuff,  Diva is very nice.

I have the free Reaktor which is very nice but the free libraries that are available are usually not something I would like to use. I also never remember to try it when makin music . Diva would be nice if a bit cpu heavy but looks expensive when i compare it with some other vsti:s.

I can always find something useful in U-He Zebra so it's become one of my go-to synths.  Diva is very good too.
You can download the demo and check it out.  I agree U-He is maybe more expensive than some others but worth it IMO.

• Thanks 1

Have you considered Analogue Lab from Arturia (199 Euro's).  You get access to about 30 classic Keyboards and it comes with 6500 presets.  Whilst you are limited in the editing of completely new patches on the synths you can make adjustments to the existing patches within Analogue Lab via its interface.

Then if any excite you can buy either the individual synths or buy the entire V Collection at a sensible upgrade price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:55 PM, S.L.I.P. said:

if you don't have Kontakt, well that would be my best bet. If you have any Kontakt library,  you can update for $249.00 US as a cross grade.  If you don't, you can always buy a cheap library and save a couple of bucks.  Or you can wait for another deal. I just upgraded from Kontakt 5 to Kontakt 6, during their last deal promotion for $49.00.

Thank you for the tip. I need to think about this too

On 7/6/2019 at 11:05 PM, slartabartfast said:

First you should decide if you want a synth or a rompler/sampler or some combination of the two.  The "space inferno" issue is related to the presets or samples that the "synth" ships with. You can generally create a wide range of sounds from a true synthesizer even just using basic oscillators or waveforms and filters, and if you are getting sounds you do not like from the synths you own, then I expect it is because you have not learned to program them to your taste. Of course if you are using a rompler, you will usually just get what someone else thought would make an impressive demo for the people the designer believes will buy the most copies, or easily recognizable (clichéd) patches sampled from "vintage" synths.  If you are trying to make music using sampled wood and wire instruments, that sound passably genuine, then Kontakt has the advantage that it ships with a fairly large library, and that the full version (as opposed to the player) will often play libraries offered for free by others. The new version includes the ability to use wavetable instruments as well, but rather than buy that (especially if you have to pay list) I would recommend an investment of time and study in how to program the stuff you already own. Something like Syntorial might be a better investment.

Thank you for the tips. I am considering these 

On 7/7/2019 at 4:46 AM, abacab said:

I don't think you have made it clear yet whether you prefer emulations or samples of "real" instruments, or want to use completely synthesized sounds. It appears from your list that you already own a bit of both types of virtual instruments. It would also help to know what style of music you are into.

I get that you don't want classical music oriented collections (which implies to me no orchestral sample libraries), but that does not exclude other real instruments like guitars, basses, pianos, organs, jazz brass and woodwinds, drums, etc.

I would suggest that some of the previous comments about Kontakt are right on as far as "real" instrument coverage. It's like SampleTank, but with extensive 3rd party instrument libraries.

For pure synthesizers, there are a range of popular options, but many of the most popular ones today are supplied with presets for trance and dance machines used by the EDM crowd. A synth really isn't genre specific, and can be programmed and used for any style of music. It is always recommended to first learn to program  a  virtual analog synth  (and there are several great free ones available), before plunging into  buying an expensive commercial mega-synth. I really like the SynthMasters and find them quite satisfying.

There truly isn't "one synth to replace them all".

Except maybe for Omnisphere, but I just can't bring myself to drop $500 on a synth. ;)

I have sampled libraries especially guitar(Aas and Heavyocity's Serpent) and I prefer them. I have a need for especially  dance music style synth sound even though I already have that genre oriented synths. I just don't find sounds that I really like. SampleTank has some nice ones and Synthmasters too. I get the feeling that synth programmers make complex sounds to show how incredible sounds their synth can do and then let users to make sounds they can use. Bit weird imo. 

On 7/7/2019 at 5:35 AM, mettelus said:

The advice above regarding programming synth sounds is worth considering... There will be times when you will want to commit ideas quickly so you can move on, and tweaking something will end up being far faster than searching presets.

This is again one thing I really suck at and also 'hate'

On 7/8/2019 at 4:42 AM, bjornpdx said:

I can always find something useful in U-He Zebra so it's become one of my go-to synths.  Diva is very good too.
You can download the demo and check it out.  I agree U-He is maybe more expensive than some others but worth it IMO.

Thanks for the tips

On 7/8/2019 at 4:40 PM, Wookiee said:

Have you considered Analogue Lab from Arturia (199 Euro's).  You get access to about 30 classic Keyboards and it comes with 6500 presets.  Whilst you are limited in the editing of completely new patches on the synths you can make adjustments to the existing patches within Analogue Lab via its interface.

Then if any excite you can buy either the individual synths or buy the entire V Collection at a sensible upgrade price. 

I already have it but cannot use it because Arturia has changed the licencing thingy but iirc i had problems finding good sounds