The Banjo by Indiginus $39 intro

Brian Lawler

Tracy Collins from Indiginus is one of the best stringed instrument samplists that I know of, and an all around nice guy. I would put him up there with Greg Schlaepfer of Orange Tree Samples.

Indiginus libraries are much more affordable however, because Tracy doesn't have to pay Native Instruments for Kontakt Player compatibility. Full Kontakt required.

Here is a livestream interview that Simeon Amburgey did with Tracy Collins last year. They covered his latest plus a lot of details about his background and company:

• Like 2

Yep-  Agree with @abacab   Also- He does a small discount on intro and that is it.  His pricing is more than fair.  Any releases I passed up at release I wound up buying later, so I am sure to pull the trigger shortly.  Maybe Tracy will release a free The Jug VST for Christmas and get a little front porch quartet going along with The Banjo, The Fiddle, and The Resonator.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Yep-  Agree with @abacab   Also- He does a small discount on intro and that is it.  His pricing is more than fair.  Any releases I passed up at release I wound up buying later, so I am sure to pull the trigger shortly.  Maybe Tracy will release a free The Jug VST for Christmas and get a little front porch quartet going along with The Banjo, The Fiddle, and The Resonator.

Already have the Resonator, Fiddle, and Steel. Might as well add the Banjo! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

I really had a ball when I first loaded up The Fiddle.  It is just so playable "live" without recording and futzing with articulations in the piano roll.  Maybe special to me since I have guitars and a banjo that I play (poorly) but when I pick up a fiddle, it's only good for clearing the room.

• Haha 1

The cool thing about Indiginus, the "full" prices usually run about $59, so still quite affordable. I just checked and already had the Renaxxance Nylon String Guitar in my shopping list. https://www.indiginus.com/renaxxance-nylon-string-guitar

That banjo sounds excellent though, and since there's no way I could ever play one correctly it looks like Tracy has made the banjo as effortless as the fiddle!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Also- He does a small discount on intro and that is it.

I just want to reiterate this: $39 is the best deal you will ever get*. If you're interested, buy it now or pay the full price later.

* unless they decide to do something they have never done before.

• Like 3

Yes, I'll get this. AmpleSound's banjo sounds great, maybe a little TOO bright, but I have to muck with the string/fretting position to get the legato played correctly or to force open strings to ring out correctly. I have, but have not yet tried OT's banjo. But I use Indiginus' The Fiddle and The Resonator and they don't require much futzing. Plus, this banjo appears to have more bottom end, so it could be more folksy sounding, not as clinical. A buy for me.

• Like 2

I don’t need banjo in the music style I write in. But I want this anyway.  I may never incorporate it in a song but seems like it would be fun to goof around with. I know I’ll never bother to learn the banjo.

Edited by lawajava
  • Great Idea 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:37 AM, pseudopop said:

I just want to reiterate this: $39 is the best deal you will ever get*. If you're interested, buy it now or pay the full price later.

* unless they decide to do something they have never done before.

The only thing I remember is when Tracy released The Jangle.  It was available free if you purchased any one of a selected Indiginus Libraries (pretty much all of them).  So that kind of was a way of getting a "discount" on a previously released library--you bought one and got a library that now sells for $45 along with it.  

I don't think Tracy has ever reduced a price on one of his libraries, but it wouldn't surprise me if another deal came up someday.

• Like 1

Installed the banjo last night. I already have OTS evolution banjo, but haven't spent enough time with it to get used to workflow - though it has really cool features (e.g., the strum pattern creator).

The Indiginus offering is fantastic. Immediately playable, with a GUI that is cleverly thought out and well-designed. Had a blast playing with the bluegrass harmony (which sounds incredible), and the system of having different articulations set to soft, medium, and hard velocity is really smart and means you can hit the ground running! Thoroughly recommended!

This was my first Indiginus library, but after a few minutes with it I immediately put their Fiddle, lap steel, and mandolin libraries on my wishlist!

• Like 1