2022.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

13 minutes ago, Asato Maa said:

Have a nice day everyone!

Faced one very inconvenient thing. These are hidden automation points that appear when editing envelopes.
You have to spend 10-15 minutes to find these points and remove them. And then they reappear!
It is very uncomfortable!

This screenshot is the second iteration after removing these points. In the tempo track, I also removed them.

How can fix this bug?

CbB, ver. 2022.09

1865427783_.thumb.png.bbbbfeca3194b9742961180074f6d069.png

When adding an automation lane, a node is always inserted at the beginning of the project and at the end of the project.  This is to ensure you have a correct "line" of automation to work with.  AFAIK, this has been the behaviour of automation lanes since they were introduced back in pre-SONAR days.

It looks like at some point, you've shortened your project length, either that, or you've lengthened it in such a way that everything has been pushed later in the timeline.

You don't need to spend 10-15 minutes to remove these... just engage Ripple Edit All, select everything from the end of your project (as you see it), to the actual end of the project, and hit the Del key.

• Great Idea 2

On 10/17/2022 at 5:09 AM, István Máté said:

Yes. In my use case, I create MIDI multitracks for live use, main (Master) mix is for myself during creation, but each track is sent to a dedicated hardware output (Dante Virtual Soundcard) via Send. I usually send stereo channels, only the Metronome aux (stereo channel) and the Bass (stereo channel) is sent mono to a hardware out L and R. In this version both the Metronome and Bass were present in the hardware out's L and R, while in previous versions I had the Metronome in L and Bass in R. Did notice, that changing the Metronome aux to mono did solve the issue for the metronome, I presume, that changing the Bass channel to mono would have solved it for Bass too, but I did not test it, I rolled back.

I presume, that this is not intended, sends to a mono hardware out (more specifically, to only one channel of a stereo hardware out) from a stereo channel should not creep into the hardware out's other channel.

@István Máté this is fixed in the early access release we just posted above

The EA installer just asked me to sign in as the administrator, but I only have one account on the system as the administrator - weird. Clicked, OK and the install started. Probably a Microsoft update again. Just thought I should post here in case others run the same issue.

Did some digging and the system seems to be OK. Oh-well.  

EDIT: It's with the new EA Update 1 - Build 031.

Edited by Will.

Question on Tracks sourced from aux track L/R/S

EXAMPLE:

Track 1: Stereo Synth.

Track 2: Aux/Track with patch point set to L - input (mono) 

When track 2 is armed - obviously both tracks are heard when you play Stereo Track 1 | and the armed L-input AUX Track 2.

This always believes me thinking the Input L/R are still bleeding into the stereo field, until I solo the Aux Track.

Now the question is: and I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong topic - isn't there a way for track 1 to mute behind the scenes and only let the armed track be heard to give the user the actual picture of what is being projected to him through these inputs? 

It already sounds difficult - I know. Lol. 

Video with Audio

EDIT: When set to R on the input - the track sounds different. 

Edited by Will.

17 hours ago, msmcleod said:

When adding an automation lane, a node is always inserted at the beginning of the project and at the end of the project.  This is to ensure you have a correct "line" of automation to work with.  AFAIK, this has been the behaviour of automation lanes since they were introduced back in pre-SONAR days.

It looks like at some point, you've shortened your project length, either that, or you've lengthened it in such a way that everything has been pushed later in the timeline.

You don't need to spend 10-15 minutes to remove these... just engage Ripple Edit All, select everything from the end of your project (as you see it), to the actual end of the project, and hit the Del key.

I did everything as you described. Nothing happens and nothing is deleted (((

@msmcleod

41866298_.thumb.png.5bd4e5d75b143cb97b654633c80469ac.png

Bounce to track bug:

I setup a test project (44.1-16 WASAPI Exclusive) with 2 identical length stereo audio tracks taken from a similar projects rendered audio files, ergo the audio files are 32 bit. The sends of both audio tracks were set to the same aux track which had a couple FX plugs, and the aux track's send was to a hardware out.

All tracks were selected for the range of the audio files. On executing a bounce to tracks for source category tracks the following occurred:

1. Selecting just the aux track not in real-time with the buffer set to "playback" the rendered track was all silence.

2. Selecting just the aux track  in real-time  rendered the track normally.

3. If the track was rendered as per 1. and the immediately followed by a second bounce as per 1. the track  rendered normally.

This is odd behavior,  it feels like some kind of a timing issue, but wadda I know 🙄

Edited by Tez

6 hours ago, Tez said:

Bounce to track bug:

I setup a test project (44.1-16 WASAPI Exclusive) with 2 identical length stereo audio tracks taken from a similar projects rendered audio files, ergo the audio files are 32 bit. The sends of both audio tracks were set to the same aux track which had a couple FX plugs, and the aux track's send was to a hardware out.

All tracks were selected for the range of the audio files. On executing a bounce to tracks for source category tracks the following occurred:

1. Selecting just the aux track not in real-time with the buffer set to "playback" the rendered track was all silence.

3. If the track was rendered as per 1. and the immediately followed by a second bounce as per 1. the track  rendered normally.

This is odd behavior,  it feels like some kind of a timing issue, but wadda I know 🙄

Will investigate thanks.

12 hours ago, Will. said:

Now the question is: and I'm sorry if this is in the posted in wrong topic - isn't there a way for track 1 to mute behind the scenes and only let the armed track be heard to give the user the actual picture of what is being projected to him through these inputs? 

No because as far as routing goes an input on a track from a patch point behaves the same as a hardware input. Arming a track shouldn’t impact what you hear from other tracks. If you are feeding one tracks input from other tracks you will need to manually solo to hear just that track.

27 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

No because as far as routing goes an input on a track from a patch point behaves the same as a hardware input. Arming a track shouldn’t impact what you hear from other tracks. If you are feeding one tracks input from other tracks you will need to manually solo to hear just that track.

I hear you. 

I did 3 songs for another studio and they are strictly analog with Patch Bays I had to get used to everytime I would record something. We would sometimes take a bus comp that sounded better than a mono hardware and turn this stereo comp to mono, with these patch bays (totally different experience,) but the original track always goes silent and we would only hear the track its gona be printed on. 

I'm not sure if its a hardware setup in the studio, I will have to contact that studio's technician to ask the guy. 

Anyway . . . Just a curious thought in the digital world now that cakewalks patched inputs are finally fixed. 

Thanks again. 

On 10/21/2022 at 12:10 PM, Asato Maa said:

Have a nice day everyone!

Faced one very inconvenient thing. These are hidden automation points that appear when editing envelopes.
You have to spend 10-15 minutes to find these points and remove them. And then they reappear!
It is very uncomfortable!

This screenshot is the second iteration after removing these points. In the tempo track, I also removed them.

How can fix this bug?

CbB, ver. 2022.09

1865427783_.thumb.png.bbbbfeca3194b9742961180074f6d069.png

This is an older issue I've reported several times. It's very often when you move automation segments that random nodes are generated automatically along the envelope - or a node will move from a lower inflection point, in jump mode, that was set up in linear mode. And, seemingly without connection, on a couple of projects the play head will keep playing well after the end of the project, with no event listed in the Event list, or present on any audio or automation lane. There are a few other things, too, with automations, that behave weirdly. I hope these behaviors get fixed in a future release.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Olaf said:

with no event listed in the Event list, or present on any audio or automation lane

Yes. And even Ripple Edit All cannot fix it when it's happened. Only you can do to fix this issue is creating an arrangement from begining to end of the project then commiting it.

But after this action you lose all the other arrangement tracks. And this is an another old request: Keeping other arrangement tracks in the committed area.

>The MIDI All Notes Off message is no longer sent to VST plugins on transport stop. Since Cakewalk manages all MIDI note on's explicitly, >sending note off messages for just those notes, the All Notes Off message is no longer required.

I updated to 2021.09 yesterday, and first of all - thanks for the bugfixes! 😀

After the update, in just a few hours I've been getting more hanging notes than usual with several of my VSTi:s... it feels like it ought to be directly related to the removed MIDI All Notes Off message?

An idea – if permitted in this thread – would be to make an option under Preferences / Project / MIDI / like "Send MIDI All Notes Off message on transport stop". So that it could be user-enabled in circumstances that require it?

EDIT: Even sustain pedal messages seem to be hanging... (Happened once so far.) Am I the only one experiencing this?

Edited by GreenLight
Added "Edit"
  • Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, GreenLight said:

>The MIDI All Notes Off message is no longer sent to VST plugins on transport stop. Since Cakewalk manages all MIDI note on's explicitly, >sending note off messages for just those notes, the All Notes Off message is no longer required.

After the update, in just a few hours I've been getting more hanging notes than usual with several of my VSTi:s... it feels like it ought to be directly related to the removed MIDI All Notes Off message?

An idea – if permitted in this thread – would be to make an option under Preferences / Project / MIDI / like "Send MIDI All Notes Off message on transport stop". So that it could be user-enabled in circumstances that require it?

EDIT: Even sustain pedal messages seem to be hanging... (Happened once so far.) Am I the only one experiencing this?

Which VSTs?

On 10/14/2022 at 11:21 AM, David Baay said:

My experince is that Plugin Load Balancing is more often detrimental than helpful so I leave it off unless I see some condition that looks like it might benefit.

Also in my experience, other common causes of weird audio glitching are:

- Having streched audio in the project.

- Having the 64-bit double Precision Enginer enabled.

- Running a 'Goldilocks' plugin (buffer size has to be 'just right', not too high or too low).

- Some combination of the above.

Any chance you set ThreadSchedulingModel=3 ("Aggressive") in your config file (AUD.INi) at some point? (I see jackson white had the same thought.)

My ThreadSchedulingModel is set to =2.

I have not stretched any audio in the project.

I do, however, have 64-bit Double Precision Engine enabled.

My cpu runs at around 3.9Ghz. I assumed that 64-bit double precision shouldn't be an issue (and before 2022.09 it hasn't ever been).

I'll attach my AUD.ini for anyone to browse. Please overlook the E-MU lines, those are old.

AUD.ini

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Which VSTs?

I think it was with u-He Diva, a Kontakt 6 piano library and... a third one I can't remember. It happened a handful of times during maybe 2-3 hours, and I reacted as it usually doesn't happen that often.

If it happens again, I will pay closer attention and report back.

On 10/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, GreenLight said:

Are you sure your hung notes aren't completely down to sustain pedal messages?

If "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" is unchecked, then any sustain pedal messages that are "down" when you stop playback will remain down, which will cause notes to continue sustaining.

With this enabled, if you're using one of those Kontakt instruments that uses Modulation (CC #1) for volume, you might want to add a CC #1, 127 event at the beginning of the clips that are using those instruments.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:49 AM, Tez said:

Bounce to track bug:

Hi Tez,

Can you send us a copy of your project? I can't readily reproduce your issue on our end.