Automation lines go crazy on tracks with take lanes.

Wojtek Stecyszyn

Question

Hello everyone.

I have another one. This is a good one! Who will be so kind and helpful to explain me what the heck is going on. Please watch the video attached. So Im working with automation lines as I always did: smart tool and with my custom combination of keyboard keys I draw a straight lines ( I find this method super fast and useful). But I never had issue like this before!

Please help.

New discover: it happens only in places (same track) where I have more than one take lines

5 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Hello everyone.

I have another one. This is a good one! Who will be so kind and helpful to explain me what the heck is going on. Please watch the video attached. So Im working with automation lines as I always did: smart tool and with my custom combination of keyboard keys I draw a straight lines ( I find this method super fast and useful). But I never had issue like this before!

Please help.

New discover: it happens only in places (same track) where I have more than one take lines

HAHAHA! What the heck?  Have to say:  it is working fine here.  

That's crazy though. 

Have seen something like this reported before, but don't recall the outcome. Can't reproduce it offhand on a track with multipe lanes. I would SWAG that something has gone haywire with pointers in memory. Is it reproducible after closing/re-opening the project and/or re-starting Cakewalk?

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

Have seen something like this reported before, but don't recall the outcome. Can't reproduce it offhand on a track with multipe lanes. I would SWAG that something has gone haywire with pointers in memory. Is it reproducible after closing/re-opening the project and/or re-starting Cakewalk?

Thank you for your answer.

Could you be so kind and help me to find this post/thread/report about similar issue?

Could you please explain me what "SWAG" means. 

By "pointers" you mean automation line dots? How can I check it, where is this memory?

Yes, it is happening every time when I open this project . I tried also to save project as a copy but it is happening also on the copy.

About reinstalling Cakewalk I wouldn't like to do it as Im in a middle of a project and I have deadline for album release and I really wouldn't want to risk that something may go wrong during the process of reinstallation.

I also wait with the latest update.

I searched but could not find the thread due to not knowing exact keywords to distinguish it from other automation-related issues.

SWAG = Scientific Wild-***** Guess

Pointers are an element of many programming languages often used to keep track of arrays (e.g. a series of automation nodes). If they are mishandled, you can get invalid results such as you're seeing.

I would not bother to reinstall. The project is likely corrupted and you would have to delete the midbehaving envelopes to fix it.

That said, I played around a bit more, and did manage to get something like what you showed when I had multiple clip envelopes of the same type on overlapping clips in lanes, but was editing them in the parent track with lanes collapsed.  CW seemed to get confused about which clip's envelope was being edited. I didn't try to sort it out, but just deleted the envelope and could not immediately reproduce the problem.

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 1

I have no clip envelopes whatsoever. Only track envelopes. 

I wrote to the support team.

In the meantime I discovered that if  before working with automation lines I will change the line from linear to jump then I don't have this crazy mess and it works ok.

Or if i simply put two nodes on the line then wherever in between that two nodes I can work normally with my automation line.