Acoustic guitar song (no title)

53mph

This is an as yet un-titled guitar piece I've been working on. I love using alt tunings, and this 'flowery' tuning produced this track.

In terms of the mix - the main acoustic guitar is played directly into the soundcard via a pickup jack (not the best of sounds, but I've tried to keep the worst of the squeaks and rubs out),- I'm aiming for the kind of sound Thurston Moore has on his acoustic albums. I'd be interested to know if I'm getting there or not.

Any feedback welcomed

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Like 1

Squeaks make thing a little more real ;) .  Like the tune but there is something amiss with the drums, I like brushes but something is little off, they sound liek they have been recorded in a different space to the guitar and the bass.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Squeaks make thing a little more real ;) .  Like the tune but there is something amiss with the drums, I like brushes but something is little off, they sound liek they have been recorded in a different space to the guitar and the bass.

Good to know. I'll see what I can do. Thanks 

Hmm DI isn't the best option for recording acoustic guitar - I've been getting better results lately using a pair of SD condenser mics in a X-Y config. Worth a try if you have the option - even a single condenser mic beats a DI hands down imho.

Mike Enjo over @Creative Sauce did a great YouTube tutorial on recording acoustic guitar recently.

I'm with Wookiee on the drums - and they're too busy for my taste. The guitar picking is busy as it is, so maybe you could let the percussion take more of a back seat?

Did you HP the guitar - always worth doing to take out that low-end boom - especially if adding reverb.

I like the guitar track - good chops btw - what was the tuning you used for this out of interest?

Overall well done, but I think a different recording choice may yield better results.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Nifty looking gadget that Nigel, I hadn't seen that before.

I can't afford those rather nice (but expensive) Austrian Audio mics that Mike featured on the video I mentioned above. However I bagged a pair of Behringer C2 mics (including XY mount) for around £40 off Amazon.

Unbeatable value, remarkably good quality and impressive results, provided you don't push the gain too hard. At least I thought so anyway, audiophiles with younger ears may disagree. 🙂

Andy

Hi Philip....good tune for sure, nice melodies, tempo and playing....the guitar recording,  to my ears, is too muddy....i had the same problem on a song i did a few months ago and i had to redo it....as was said before Direct Injection of an acoustic guitar doesn't produce a generally accepted level of clarity or quality....i would remove or lessen the reverb and record the guitar on a mic and do an A/B comparison to see which one you prefer....heck, maybe a mix of the two of them might be the best!! regarding the drums i would mix them a bit lower and reduce the reverb on them as well....again, nice tune 🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.

In response to the comments about Di recording. I usually mic the guitar using shotgun micd, but thought I'd try using the built in guitar mic on my acoustic as an experiment. I tried sweetening it using a 3Sigma Impulsive, but as you can hear, there is only so much you can do to get that acoustic sound. 

When I get another free morning, I'll try redoing the guitar parts.

And @AndyB01 I like to keep my tunings secret 😉 I could tell you....but then I'd have to make you sign a NDA. 🤣