Bitwig Paid Add-on: Spectral Suite

Sander Verstraten

This is a massive kick in the nuts to Bitwig update subscribers.  And I am very sore.  Plenty of comments on the Bitwig KVR forum already, and none of them supportive.  Sure wish I had not bought my next subscription code already.  It apparently will not get me very much value now that they are charging extra for features.

• Sad 1

I think one of the big issues here is how does Bitwig delineate between what modules are part of an upgrade, and what are separate.

I'm concerned that modules (that in the past that were free as a part of the upgrade plan) may be paid in the future, thus lessening the value of the update plan. 

But we don't know what that may be.

17 hours ago, Fleer said:

It’s just that their unique take on updating is somewhat challenged by this add-on approach. 

Germans!

It's OK for me to say that since my ancestors on all sides were 100% Prussian, emigrating from what is now MeckVor (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) to the U.S. from 1845-1864, before Germany was unified.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fleer said:

I agree. Their statement is far too vague on just what exactly would qualify the development of something as a now paid for extra. It seems like they might be setting themselves up a nice little slippery slope, where slowly but surely everything but the most basic device finds its way into the add-on category. Or perhaps they will start hobbling features of new free devices and if you want that extra knob/switch/feature (or two) that actually makes the device broadly useful? Break out that wallet! Again! And again... And again... Annnnnnnd again...🥶

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, John Maar said:

Germans!

It's OK for me to say that since my ancestors on all sides were 100% Prussian, emigrating from what is now MeckVor (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) to the U.S. from 1845-1864, before Germany was unified.

I am very! hestitant to salute a fellow pureblood 😝. Though not Prussian, I'm 85% north/west European and within that group mostly (+90%) Dutch and the other 15% Scandinavian. So nothing south of the river Rhine. As my dad used to say 'free from alien blemish' (or something like that, it's hard to translate). Which was his way of saying we don't do heat very well.

Ontopic: I read a lot of Bitwig users are not a fan of this direction. And I can understand that if this is indeed from the Bitwig core-team. As an Ableton user I have no problem paying for 3rd party developer stuff directly from the Ableton site because it is very well curated  and always offers something Ableton itself does not. But I would be cross if Ableton suddenly released something which in any case would be part of the Suite, but now I had to pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Ticked off is an understatement. https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587607

540 posts and counting in the past 31 hours.

It's the same everywhere

Facebook

Twitter

Youtube

Reddit

They're copping major backlash over this. I have mostly bit my tongue so far, although having just bought it less than two weeks ago it feels a lot like a bait and switch on the back of the previous U-He promotion. Really hoping they listen to the community and find a way to course correct. I understand the commercial imperative but there's a right way and a wrong way to do things. 

• Like 2