N.G.D, Gibson ES 175 CC

kennywtelejazz

On Thursday I will be another year older  . Since I'm reeling in the years I'm giving up on  playing underage guitars that want to chew bubble gum and just look good   😜

I need a guitar that can handle it's biznezz when the chord changes hit the fan .Plus I want my guitar to inspire me and sound good for the kind of music I enjoy playing ...

I bought this late 70's Gibson ES 175 CC Today . The ES 175 CC model is pretty Rare . If I'm not mistaken there was only 479 of them made . 

I have always wanted one of these  ES 175 's since the days of when I worked at a very well known N.Y.C.  music store ...

Today was the day it finally happened .

lfSFYFq.jpg

AQ0GvGt.jpg

C8dsmoP.jpg

excuse the blurry pics ,

Kadok1b.jpg

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 7

That's super great, a real looker!

The bridge appears a bit elevated for the lower strings? Is that just the picture tricking me?

And is that a single lipstick-style pickup? And what are those three screw heads in a triangle underneath the strumming zone? Very curious, I haven't seen this configuration before.

The tobacco burst is outstanding. congrats!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Wow - a true beauty!

Congrats, my friend.

Thank you Rain !

48 minutes ago, PhonoBrainer said:

That's super great, a real looker!

The bridge appears a bit elevated for the lower strings? Is that just the picture tricking me?

And is that a single lipstick-style pickup? And what are those three screw heads in a triangle underneath the strumming zone? Very curious, I haven't seen this configuration before.

The tobacco burst is outstanding. congrats!!!

I agree with you she is a good looking guitar . The bridge is actually perfect the way it is set up . What you are seeing is the quality of my photo's ..they are marginal at best ...Currently the only means of photography I have over here is my android phone .  Also I have a need for better lighting and a true camera .

The CC in my ES stands for the Charlie Christian pick up  . Charlie Christian is generally acknowledged and credited as being one of the the first truly electric guitar player that played electrified  leads and melodic guitar parts .We are talking a long time ago when he was with Benny Goodman . Before Charlie everyone was just playing banjo's and arch-top guitars  non amplified on the band stand ...

Here's a article on some of his history

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/listen-to-jazz-innovator-charlie-christian-bringing-electric-guitar-to-the-forefront-of-music

For those that just want a quick pic here  is a picture of Charlie and one of his guitars  a Gibson ES 150 . Notice the 3 screws , that is how the Charlie Christian pick up is mounted to the guitars top .

The pick up itself is very beefy construction wise and the CC pickup has a tone that no other guitar pick up has ...the tone itself is unmistakable ...

My guitar is basically Gibson Guitars way of tipping it's hat to Charlie Christian  by talking an ES 175 and adding the single CC pick up.

charlie-christian3_medium.jpg

The most modern thing about my guitar compared to Charlies guitar is his was a non cutaway guitar , mine has a Florentine Cutaway.

Most authorities on Gibson Guitars say there were only 479 ES175 CC's  made as an accurate account of their numbers   ...they are very rare ..

The  production run lasted only a little over two years . Lets put that into perspective ...imagine only 500 1958 / 1960 Les Paul's made instead of the thousands of cherry sunbursts Gibson made ...What about only 500 Strats ? 😅

Any way I feel very Lucky to have gotten this guitar . I have wanted an ES 175 CC for over 37 years ...

all the best,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

40 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

I had an ES-225, bacca burst, back when. That rosewood bridge and I never got along. I’d “whack” it, and it run across the top; ouch. “Just didn’t seem to have no finesse “ Me, not her. 

Some people have their bridges pinned ..other  folks have just glued a small strip of emery sand paper on the bridges lower section  facing the top .to keep it from sliding .

Most of the time on Jazz Box's I use medium gauge strings  , that helps keep things in place ..another thing is I like to set my intonation and ones its as perfect as I can get it I will use a sharpie and trace a few sections of the bridge on the guitars top . This way I can always set it back to where it had good intonation ...

all the best ,

Kenny

• Like 2

Great sounding guitar you got there Kenny. It looks fine as f too!!

Great score.

You can hear the joy in your playing. Nice. Real nice.

Listened a few more times and I really like the sound of the pick attack. I am assuming that you went straight into a audio interface. Or did you mic an amp. Sounds great.

Edited by Grem
  • Thanks 1

Kenny said "Before Charlie everyone was just playing banjo's and arch-top guitars  non amplified on the band stand ..."

A little correction on the history.

Eddie Durham predated and inspired Christian.

In 1935, he was the first to record an electrically amplified guitar with Jimmie Lunceford in "Hittin' the Bottle" that was recorded in New York for Decca.  In 1938, Durham recorded single string electric guitar solos with the Kansas City Five (or Six), which were both smallish groups that included members of Count Basie's rhythm section along with the tenor saxophone playing of Lester Young.

Durham inspired Christian to start using an amplified instrument in 1937.

4 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

Kenny said "Before Charlie everyone was just playing banjo's and arch-top guitars  non amplified on the band stand ..."

A little correction on the history.

Eddie Durham predated and inspired Christian.

In 1935, he was the first to record an electrically amplified guitar with Jimmie Lunceford in "Hittin' the Bottle" that was recorded in New York for Decca.  In 1938, Durham recorded single string electric guitar solos with the Kansas City Five (or Six), which were both smallish groups that included members of Count Basie's rhythm section along with the tenor saxophone playing of Lester Young.

Durham inspired Christian to start using an amplified instrument in 1937.

Did you happen to notice the link I put in the  post you selectively quoted  me out of context ? That info is there and  it  mentions all of that ....

On 10/5/2022 at 6:38 AM, kennywtelejazz said:

The CC in my ES stands for the Charlie Christian pick up  . Charlie Christian is generally acknowledged and credited as being one of the the first truly electric guitar players that played electrified  leads and melodic guitar parts .We are talking a long time ago when he was with Benny Goodman . Before Charlie everyone was just playing banjo's and arch-top guitars  non amplified on the band stand ...

Here's a article on some of his history

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/listen-to-jazz-innovator-charlie-christian-bringing-electric-guitar-to-the-forefront-of-music

Kenny

Have a nice day 

Kenny

9 hours ago, Grem said:

Great sounding guitar you got there Kenny. It looks fine as f too!!

Great score.

You can hear the joy in your playing. Nice. Real nice.

Listened a few more times and I really like the sound of the pick attack. I am assuming that you went straight into a audio interface. Or did you mic an amp. Sounds great.

Hi Grem !

Thank you for your upbeat positive post . It put a warm genuine smile on my face .😄

I also love the pick attack this guitar has a nuance . Back when I was younger I used to own and play a 1960 Gibson E S 335 w PAF's that had that !

Most of my practice and recording has me dialing in my guitar tones via direct recording ...I love to play late at night and as an apartment dweller it is very rare I get to amp up and record using one of my amps and a mic.

I'm glad you like my tone

Kenny

• Like 1