"She" isn't real, isn't singing, sells out concerts, has a fan club, and the fans know all the words.

Notes_Norton

5 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

new to me technology, which is why this video fascinated me.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing too!! And it actually had some good parts in it that I thought were interesting. 

Which leads me to....

4 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

product 🤷‍♂️

If I like the end product, I like it.

Yep. I agree that it's entertainment. 

Personally I don't like the sound of auto-tune, but others do, and that's OK.

Yeah, that's where I am. And seeing the audience grow in size over time was really an eye opener for me!!

52 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i think Frank Zappa would have approved of the hologram act.

Me too.

[edit] TOTP!!!

Edited by Grem

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Second, being in a room full of other fans of the music. That communal experience is HUGE, and it transcends "musicianship" or whatever.

This perfectly explains the virtual performer phenomenon, as well as other crowd-powered genres such as EDM and KPop. It's the shared experience that audiences enjoy.

I think it's a symptom of the isolation people are feeling nowadays. Though not unique to young people, they have been impacted most due to being conditioned to equate social media with actual social interaction. We've long heard about old people feeling isolated, but honestly this old person could not care less. I have no Facebook friends, I have real friends that I can count on two hands with enough fingers left over to hold and light a joint.

• Like 5

Hey Bitflipper !

I don't know if we will ever meetup and be friends in real life .

Regardless of whether that happens or not , you still happen to be the one guy on this forum I would love to hang out with and smoke a joint with  😎

Kenny  bong.gif

Edited by kennywtelejazz

23 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Second, being in a room full of other fans of the music. That communal experience is HUGE, and it transcends "musicianship" or whatever.

LOL

Reason number 2 why I prefer watching concerts from home - humans... But you are perfectly right!

(Number 1 would be the volume. I know this is heresy for a rock musicians but I do not like loud music. And concerts are typically more about experiencing (aka having your senses overwhelmed) than properly hearing - which allows some musicians to get away with a lot... 

I believe Nine Inch Nails is the only band I've seen live which was both incredibly loud and incredibly clean - which is even more amazing  considering the notoriously poor acoustics in that venue they were playing.

The hologram still makes a lot more sense to me than the DJ thing. No worse than watching a CGI movie...

2 hours ago, Rain said:

LOL

Reason number 2 why I prefer watching concerts from home - humans...

I'm with you there!  I've always loved seeing a real, live band in person IF it was in a small, intimate club setting (I was fortunate enough to be able to see Walter Trout several times that way at his home bar called Perks in Huntington Beach, California).  Ironically, I DON'T like being in large arenas.  Generally, the sound isn't awesome, you can't see and you're mostly surrounded by, well, masses that you don't really want to be around!  Plus the "experience" is usually over-priced as well as any beverage (etc.!) that you might want to get.

This is how I ended up with soooo many more albums than my friends when I was growing up.  They would go to every concert they could save up for, while I would take the same amount of money (or less!) and go out and buy a bunch of albums.  Now, I did go to a few big concerts, including Van Halen, the Scorpions, and more, so I understand the feeling.

Heh...  I feel the same about things like NASCAR races (for example)!  When I did go to the track with my friends, we would always record the race on TV to watch properly later, then sit in whatever was the best area of the track to get all of the "experience."  I personally thought it was almost completely useless to try and pay attention to the actual race, but we loved the sights, sounds and smells (and even had the crap scared out of us by some very violent crashes that occurred RIGHT in front of us, like when Dale Earnhardt, Jr. hit the turn 4 wall in Fontana at 134 mph back in 2002!  Yikes!).  Of course, similar to my own, extremely limited on-stage guitar playing experiences, I took the driving class at Fontana and got to (barely) survive that same turn 4 at over 160 mph!  A sphincter-puckering moment to be sure! 😁 

• Like 2

Depeche Mode announced that they were coming to Vegas a few days ago, and they're one of my favorite bands, so even if I usually avoid live shows, in this case, I did consider the idea. A friend was asking how expensive I thought the tickets would be. I started thinking of the last time I bought tickets...

At first, I thought it would have been... 1986, Metallica, Matser of Puppets tour in a small town, East of Quebec with merely a few thousand people. $11.50.

That was my point of reference. lol

I then remembered that I did buy tickets for Muse in 2010 for me and my ex - but I can't remember the cost.

Every other show I've attended, I did because I'd received tickets as a gift. All of them. But honestly, that wouldn't be that many.

A stingy misanthrope is what I am.

I can imagine attending a performance by a string quartet or something. The people there would probably look down on me for wearing combat boots with my suit, but, that's still better than the average rock show...

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

I'm actually a fan of shows like The Masked Singer , Alter Ego , and I Can See Your Voice .

Looking at the video in the opening post it is obvious  there is a vibrant dynamic market for enhanced hybrid musical performances that utilize computer generated cutting edge AI performance enhancements   ....

In 2021 there was a show that ran for one season called Alter Ego .This show took singers and gave them a platform to enhance every aspect  of their musical talent and abilities while  giving them the ability to create an unlimited Avatar / Hologram enhanced  performer of them self's performing on stage . All performances were done in real time in a live setting utilizing  a real band ...

I really enjoyed this show ...The performers were backstage singing and dancing wearing performance suit  that took all their biological  information /every aspect from facial nuances to outright physical like dancing and movements  in real time while their enhanced Avatar was up front on stage performing with the house band live with all those moves and nuances ...

If you watch the video you will see many of the performers were no longer held back with their physical limitations ...Short people became tall Avatars , Overweight performers were fit and trim Avatars , Homely looking people had cute and handsome Avatars ,   Nerdy people were hip, ect ect...

One thing I found interesting was every performer had something about themself s they were able to overcome by becoming the Avatar they had created ...

Here is the reveal Video from season one ....I'm sad they didn't have a season two ...

I also dig the masked singer ....I know a lot of people tend to snub these type of shows ....I'm not one of them ...

The singer under that costume is LeAnn Rimes . She won the title of the Masked Singer Champion Season 4 in 2020 

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

8 hours ago, Rain said:

I know this is heresy for a rock musicians but I do not like loud music.

Less heretical than you might think. Check out this reddit thread from r/livesound.

In a previous thread on that forum, I had complained specifically about excessive bass. Surprisingly, I got pushback from FoH guys. You'd think they'd be more protective of their own ears, given that loss of hearing would presumably be a career ender.

Their answer: earplugs. Well, I've got some fancy "musicians'" earplugs, and everything sounds like cotton through them. Most concertgoers are probably stuffing their ears with those crappy orange foam things you buy at Home Depot for carpentry work. That's not the experience I'm willing to pay $100 or more for.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rain said:

Depeche Mode announced that they were coming to Vegas a few days ago, and they're one of my favorite bands, so even if I usually avoid live shows, in this case, I did consider the idea. A friend was asking how expensive I thought the tickets would be. I started thinking of the last time I bought tickets...

At first, I thought it would have been... 1986, Metallica, Matser of Puppets tour in a small town, East of Quebec with merely a few thousand people. $11.50.

That was my point of reference. lol

I then remembered that I did buy tickets for Muse in 2010 for me and my ex - but I can't remember the cost.

Every other show I've attended, I did because I'd received tickets as a gift. All of them. But honestly, that wouldn't be that many.

A stingy misanthrope is what I am.

I can imagine attending a performance by a string quartet or something. The people there would probably look down on me for wearing combat boots with my suit, but, that's still better than the average rock show...

Ha ha.. I got tickets to DM  as  my wife is a huge fan and I only recently got back into them again because I got into synths and modular more recently. DM were one of the first pop bands I used to listen to as  kid in early 80s. I was heavily averse to them for a very long time. We got cheap seats.. but check out the insanity that has become Ticketmaster nowadays.

What I see is live music is in shambles. I can attest to this as a bunch of smaller but highly successful artists I got tickets to canceled their tours completely. See below. And then you have ppl like DM who can get away with not being affected while newer artists who do need to tour badly to survive are dying up. The music entertainment   landscape is becoming a small island of a few select Vegas like acts that have been around for ages and a great big ocean of "Now That's What I Call Music" one hit wonder compilations of artists who get their little shot at streaming fame and are never to be heard from again.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/10/the-live-music-industry-is-broken.html

In the case of the hologram pop artist. I think it's more theatrical entertainment for amine fans than it is a pop music show. It's just an extension and offshoot of other similar visually stimulating modern entertainment. They make the Immersive stuff which I went to. Its cool but also stupid at the same time. You don't get to see any paintings. Its just fancy multimedia exhibit of famous paintings. The success of these over priced immersive shows is more tell of what modern urban audiences in North America and Canada are like -- they like to be visually stimulated by colors and sound and don't care much for real history.

https://www.vangoghexhibit.ca/

Edited by telecode 101

12 hours ago, Rain said:

LOL

Reason number 2 why I prefer watching concerts from home - humans... But you are perfectly right!

(Number 1 would be the volume. I know this is heresy for a rock musicians but I do not like loud music. And concerts are typically more about experiencing (aka having your senses overwhelmed) than properly hearing - which allows some musicians to get away with a lot... 

<...snip...>

The only concerts I've attended for the past 20 years or so are symphony orchestras. This is for a few reasons  (1) the don't hold them on the weekends here, when I'm gigging so I can actually go. (2) I really like the music (3) It's music I can't play without hiring an entire orchestra (4) the audience is reasonably well-behaved (5) it's not loud enough to be ear damaging if I sit far enough back.

Notes ♫

• Like 3

Loud is particularly bad if the venue has more going on than just the show. When you have to scream for the person next to you to hear you, it just does the venue a disservice. "Show" implies some visual content, or else you could just stare at a wall at home and listen to the same thing.

It didn't occur to me until Notes mentioned it, but the only performances I have gone to in the last 20 years have been musicals, and for the same reasons. I did appreciate being drug off to see "Wicked," since I had never heard of it and was impressed with the thought that went into making a prequel to a movie that everyone knows.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

Usually the drummer gets blamed for the band being so damn loud but I think it is the guitarist. Guitarists easily equal - if not outdo- lead singers for being self-centered, egotistical jackasses. I say this and I are a guitar player. So many of them buy their amps with their inflated egos instead of their ears.

I have been to shows in clubs where the guitarist just has to have a 100 watt Mesa Dual Rectifier and just has to dime it out because he just has to have "his sound" and his ego can't play without "his sound."  The poor drummer has no choice to bash the shit out of everything. Even if he is miked.

Get over yourself, ***** hole. No one except you gives a sheisse about "your sound." Not even the other guitarists.  I wouldn't care if you played through a Fender Champ and a Boss Meatalzone. I'd probably actually prefer it.

9 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Usually the drummer gets blamed for the band being so damn loud but I think it is the guitarist. Guitarists easily equal - if not outdo- lead singers for being self-centered, egotistical jackasses. I say this and I are a guitar player. So many of them buy their amps with their inflated egos instead of their ears.

I have been to shows in clubs where the guitarist just has to have a 100 watt Mesa Dual Rectifier and just has to dime it out because he just has to have "his sound" and his ego can't play without "his sound."  The poor drummer has no choice to bash the shit out of everything. Even if he is miked.

Get over yourself, ***** hole. No one except you gives a sheisse about "your sound." Not even the other guitarists.  I wouldn't care if you played through a Fender Champ and a Boss Meatalzone. I'd probably actually prefer it.

Music-MoreOfMeInTheMix.jpg

😆

11 hours ago, Rain said:

Depeche Mode announced that they were coming to Vegas a few days ago, and they're one of my favorite bands, so even if I usually avoid live shows, in this case, I did consider the idea. A friend was asking how expensive I thought the tickets would be.

I would have thought they'd be 1/3rd cheaper now......

Too soon ?

• Haha 1

Since I turned 40, I targeted the retirement audience in Florida. It's a big, reliable market, it pays well, and I can make as much in 2 or 3 days as I can with 6 in a club. The drawback is they are one-nighters, so it's gear schlepping every gig.

From that day until COVID, I never went without work. In fact, I have to block out weeks for vacation, or I won't get one. Now that COVID is in the rearview mirror, we're gigging like crazy again. 15-18 gigs per month.

I feel it is my responsibility not to damage the hearing of my audience. So we bring sound pressure meters to the gig, set them at "A" weighted and "Slow" response, as recommended, and make sure the volume at the first table in front of the band is no louder than 85db on the meter. That's the accepted safe listening level according to the experts.

If they want me to crank it up, I will, but then it's their choice.

If we have a dinner set before the dancing begins, I usually keep the volume to 65db or 75db, depending on the audience.

The audience members are like extended family to us, and we don't want to hurt them. We are the pros, we should know, and so we act accordingly.

Insights and insights by Notes ♫

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

On 10/7/2022 at 7:58 AM, telecode 101 said:

theatrical entertainment for amine fans than it is a pop music show.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:58 AM, telecode 101 said:

they like to be visually stimulated by colors and sound

Best description of OP.