"She" isn't real, isn't singing, sells out concerts, has a fan club, and the fans know all the words.

Notes_Norton

hmmm remember Mille-Vanillie? lol 🙂 interesting to see the evolution of the vocaloid product in live situations. now we just need the musicians to be replaced and we're all set...

EVOLUTION MMD 2008-2021 - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_9nNunnmdE 

EVOLUTION Vocaloid LIVE 2009-2018 - YouTube 

Edited by Glenn Stanton

"She" will never run out of breath, screw up her dance routine, grow old, or have to suffer from plastic surgery woes either! 100 years from now she can still look the same and sing whatever genre is en vogue then. If only Disney had thought of this, we might be attending Minnie Mouse concerts, and she would already have decades under her belt 😆

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2022 at 10:23 AM, Notes_Norton said:

"She" isn't real (it's a hologram), isn't singing (it's a computer), sells out concerts, has a fan club, and the fans know all the words.

At least the musicians are playing.

Talking about holograms doing concerts, I remember a few years ago reading how one of the Zappa kids was working on taking a holographic Frank Zappa on tour. I seem to recall this was around the time that the Zappa Family Trust was legally enjoining Dweezel from using the Zappa name and/or music (Zappa Plays Zappa). 

I read a while ago that they finally got over having legal wars, but I don't know if Holographic Frank ever "materialized."

LOL.  Just looked it up!!!!

Weird!

Edited by User 905133

10 hours ago, mettelus said:

"She" will never run out of breath, screw up her dance routine, grow old, or have to suffer from plastic surgery woes either! 100 years from now she can still look the same and sing whatever genre is en vogue then. If only Disney had thought of this, we might be attending Minnie Mouse concerts, and she would already have decades under her belt 😆

Until Windows breaks "her" with an update.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/4/2022 at 9:23 AM, Notes_Norton said:

"She" isn't real (it's a hologram), isn't singing (it's a computer), sells out concerts, has a fan club, and the fans know all the words.

Unbelievable!! Really. I would have never thought this would sell like it does.

21 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

interesting to see the evolution of the vocaloid product

I am still stunned!!

You can also see the evolution of the glow stick in this video... if that interests you... at all. I mean people pay to watch a hologram!!!

8 hours ago, Grem said:

people pay to watch a hologram!!!

Next thing you know we'll be paying to sit in rooms and watch filmed performances by actors. 😄

(When moving pictures appeared on the scene, people who produced and acted in plays were quick to adopt the term "legitimate theater" to distinguish what they did from moving pictures. Which implied that movies were an illegitimate ("*****") art form.)

Nothing new under the sun. Gorillaz had plenty of people pay to watch them as holograms the last time they toured. Computer-generated voice having huge hit? "Benny Benassi, "Satisfaction"

You go to a big enough "classic rock" arena show and you end up watching Jagger or Clapton or Springsteen or whomever on the Jumbotron.

As someone who's played and watched many live gigs over the decades, for me going to a "live" show is mainly about 2 things.

First, checking out how the act presents themselves in "live" format. If their sound is based on electronic elements, how do they make those "live?" If it's a straight up rock band, do they do the songs the same as on the recordings, or different arrangements or energy level? Light show? Stage presence/moves? Everyone who plays "out" wants to come across as cool and entertaining (even if they claim otherwise, even if they do nothing but stand there working a mixer, that's their schtick), so what's their idea of that?

Second, being in a room full of other fans of the music. That communal experience is HUGE, and it transcends "musicianship" or whatever. Everyone's there to share it, and to check out the above presentation. Maybe look over at the person next to them and smile when a favorite song comes up, and certainly dance in place. What do the other fans look like? Am I the only person over 50 in the room? Is my glowstick big enough?

Neither of those things requires human beings being up on a stage playing musical instruments. I'm in a communal space watching a presentation that humans have put together for my entertainment. The form that entertainment takes can be many things.

The process of doing one of these holographic shows requires a TON of human artistic endeavor. It's just not of a kind that we older farts can perceive and connect with right away. Someone had to program both the vocals and the stage moves of the character, and I bet there's a live puppeteer there so that she can do impromptu moves. I'd love to see the process behind how they project her. We easily recognize a "show" or "concert" as being a live, realtime performance by people playing instruments and singing. But that's not even necessarily what we grew up with.

I grew up watching American Bandstand, This is Tom Jones, other variety shows, etc. The guest bands on those shows usually mimed to a tape backup. It's obvious, you go back and watch these performances and there are no amps on stage, not even cords coming from their guitars. The Who and Pink Floyd toured in the 70's with taped tracks to back them up. They wanted to present their music as it was conceived, with all elements in place whether they could be completely reproduced live or not.

Also, where ELSE in the world are you going to see a 3-D hologram that represents a singing dancing anime girl? It's not like they're all over the place. "Oh, there's another singing anime girl hologram with a live rock band backing her up, can't go 5 feet without walking through one."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

easily recognize a "show" or "concert" as being a live, realtime performance

Agreed.

I like Gorillaz. Really like watching the videos of the songs. Cool stuff. 

But I would not pay to go to a "concert" style get together to watch them "live". Nope, not me. 

But I would pay to go watch them on a big screen in a "movie theater". 

The feeling of the "get together" is not lost on me. My son and I love a band that is not popular in our area. So we drove to Ohio to see them. We were in the first few rows from the stage. In the middle of a song I turned around and saw the crowd, I was in awe. I told my son to turn around and when he did I could see the awe in his face. He never seen 20k people singing the same song, word for word, with thier fists in the air!!

No, I understand the communal feeling generated. I just don't see it happening, (at that level!!) To a hologram? I just find it .... astounding that that many people would pay to see this. 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

We easily recognize a "show" or "concert" as being a live, realtime performance by people playing instruments and singing. But that's not even necessarily what we grew up with.

10 or so years ago, I went to see a big ticket band* for a not insignificant amount of money either, and it was clear that a significant part of the performance was being mimed - the drum sound, for example, didn't match what part of the kit was being hit...  It really spoilt it for me, and I was really disappointed by the whole experience.

I've nothing against backing tapes or running sequences (I've used them, and my favourite live bands use them), but don't try to trick me, OK? 🙂

* The female lead singer of said band may or may not have very Blonde hair if you see what I mean.

• Like 3

I have nothing against it, it's entertainment. Music and animation accompanied by live musicians. As noted, nothing new under the sun -- except the technology.

And I don't know why Milli Vanilli were singled out. Perhaps they didn't play the game by the rules.

People have been doing that before and after M.V. got busted.

Years ago, but after M.V., I bought a cassette tape of a band called "Confederate Railroad" to learn a song a faithful audience member requested. None of the band members played any instruments on the record (this is quite common), none of the band members got any credits as songwriters, and none of the band members sang a note on the recording. It wasn't obvious, but looking through the 'liner notes' and adding 1+1+1 together spelled it out.

Studio musicians have been recording the instrumental tracks for famous bands for years. Performing live and performing in the studio used to require quite different skills. That was before digital and all the other new inventions. "The Wrecking Crew", "The Swampers" (Muscle Shoals), "The Funk Brothers" and others did the studio work. But the lead singer and sometimes background singers were the 'real band' on the record. Unless the lead singer couldn't stay on pitch.

If I like the end product, I like it.

I am however amazed at a lot of the new technology, or new to me technology, which is why this video fascinated me.

Now with auto-tune, the lead singer doesn't even have to stay on pitch. Personally I don't like the sound of auto-tune, but others do, and that's OK.

Notes ♫

• Like 2