softsynths and panning/volume

brandon

Something I hadn't realised before but when playing back a song (a mixture of audio and softsynths) in which I have three drum tracks all routed through the same soft synth - no matter what I do to the volume and panning of the individual drum tracks in the Console View they can only be controlled in the softsynth they are playing through. So even after I went to the trouble of splitting the midi drums into 3 separate track they are treated (by the synth) as one mono track.

Is this how it is or is there a way around this? 

Many thanks

One possible solution is to use 3 instances of the soft synth set up on different midi channels.  (I am assuming the soft synth is not multi-timbral--that is, it probably cannot play different kits on different midi channels).  Depending on the soft synth you are using, there may be other solutions. 

Edited by User 905133
(2) fixed typo (is, not its); (1) word changes for the sake of clarifications

AS 905133 indicated, it depends on the synth. Most dedicated drum synths offer multiple audio outputs that can be routed to separate tracks for mixing outside the synth. The included SI Drums is an exception. In that case, you can get rudimentary level mixing by adjusting MIDI Velocity, either directly or using the MIDI Gain (a.k.a Velocity Offset or Vel+) control in the track.  But to apply different panning or FX you would have to render the MIDI tracks to audio one at a time by solong them and bouncing (or freezing and dragging) to separate tracks.

• Like 1

Assuming the synth is multi-timbral (most, but not all, drum synths are), you'll want to use separate audio outputs for each of them. A screenshot of the track view header might help us see where the problem lies. Which synth is it?

If it helps, here's a picture of what my drums typically look like when only one synth is being used for all drums. Note that there is only one MIDI track and one MIDI channel, but I'm using five separate audio outputs from the synth. I am not using MIDI automation for volume or panning, letting that all be controlled within the synth. All drum audio is routed to a common bus so that I can automate them together if needed.

Granted, not all drum synths offer the same degree of routing flexibility as Superior Drummer, but most at least let you assign individual instruments to separate audio outputs.

drums.png

• Like 1