Freeze track to export to audio

brandon

I understand freezing a track reduces processing power but I want to freeze a midi track (that is playing through a softsynth) so that i can include it in an 'export audio' of the whole project. Is this something it will allow me to do?

Or could I simply file-export-audio and the resultant audio file will include the audio generated by the softsynths?

Many thanks

Edited by brandon
further question

17 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Thank you - so if I export the entire mix will this include the midi sounds played through the softsynths as well?

And if so  -will the sounds reflect the volume and pan of the track and any FX  as it is shown in the Console view? Or will it be to a general volume?

TIA

Edited by brandon
new Q

Don't take this the wrong way but you keep asking the most basic questions about the most basic functionality - any of which could be answered by spending 5 minutes with the documentation.

You would be much better served by starting from the beginning and working through John's tutorials as well as spending some quality time with the  reference guide.

https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf

These are enormously helpful resources and utilizing them saves endless hours of frustration.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 1

Yes, exporting Entire Mix wil include rendering soft synth output with all relevant track and bus FX and mix settings applied just like audio tracks. There is no need to freeze in advance.

Incidentally, I recommend exporting with Source = Buses, and exporting just the Master bus. This avoids including any signals that might be routed to other ouputs on your interface (like a headphone mix or external insert output). Entire Mix merges all hardware outputs.

• Like 1

I will usually Bounce my tracks to a single stereo track within the project, to check that everything I want is there and the length of the song is right.
Then I export that mix, making sure it doesn't flow through any effects or other processing while exporting.

1 minute ago, 57Gregy said:

I will usually Bounce my tracks to a single stereo track within the project, to check that everything I want is there and the length of the song is right.
Then I export that mix, making sure it doesn't flow through any effects or other processing while exporting.

Same here. Bounce the Master bus to a track, output that track directly to Main Outs, and group the solo buttons on that track and the Master bus in opposition to A/B or invert the 'Master Bounce' track to check for 'nulling' with the live mix. Nulling may be imperfect if tracks are not frozen first because some plugins do not render the same way twice due to built-in randomness.

When satisfied that the bounce is right, export that track to the desired file format(s).

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 4:54 PM, 57Gregy said:

Thanks - Is there a simple 'bounce to' command that will bounce them all to a stereo track?

10 hours ago, brandon said:

Thanks - Is there a simple 'bounce to' command that will bounce them all to a stereo track?

CTRL + A to select all (or just select the tracks you want), then from the clips view menu, Tracks -> Bounce to Track(s):

image.png.e12ddcc9820dddb945d959bc6465c80c.png

You want the following options in the bounce dialog:

image.thumb.png.5243934136d1d01be0d40c9ba0667fac.png