Master Bus and BUS output

brandon

Please see the two screenprints below.

The 1st shows the Master being output to the AI speakers and the Vocals and Drum Buses being output to the Master.   I thought this would have automatically updated the actual Buses themselves. 

The 2nd image shows the Drums and Vocals being output to the Master and the Master to the speakers. But if I changed these outputs i would have to go to the tracks in image 1 and change them there as well. Is this correct or have I missed something ?

image.png.1f9737d1e24ee7e409f68be65fd466f0.png

image.thumb.png.01ad42d70df995e07f714af4eb488b1f.png

Your Console view shows the I/O Module is hidden. Normally the ouput of each bus would be shown immediately above the bus name; enable 'In/Out' in the Modules tab of the Console view to see that.

But the top of each strip shows you're 'Sending' the Vocal and Drums buses to Master, and 'Sending' the Master to Speakers in addition to having the Ouputs assigned, That's creating duplicate signal paths; you just need to delete the Sends and you'll be good to go.

Edited by David Baay

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Your Console view shows the I/O Module is hidden. Normally the ouput of each bus would be shown immediately above the bus name; enable 'In/Out' in the Modules tab of the Console view to see that.

But the top of each strip shows you're 'Sending' the Vocal and Drums buses to Master, and 'Sending' the Master to Speakers in addition to having the Ouputs assigned, That's creating duplicate signal paths; you just need to delete the Sends and you'll be good to go.

Thanks. Am a little confused as to why i shouldnt be sending them - is there another function of the 'send' facility? And which sends do i delete? Thanks

Edited by brandon
addition

20 minutes ago, brandon said:

Thanks. Am a little confused as to why i shouldnt be sending them - is there another function of the 'send' facility? And which sends do i delete? Thanks

No need to send to what a track outputs to, the signal is already going to that bus. In the example you have if you wanted reverb on the vocals and drums you could set up a bus and have reverb on it and you would then send to that bus from the vocals and drums.

Edited by rsinger

Every track and bus can 'Output' and/or 'Send' to another Bus (or Aux track). Using Output is normal routing, and Sends provide an alternate routing when you want to route a track or bus to a second (or third or more) destination - usually a bus with FX on it.

Probably the most common use case is Sending  to a 'Reverb' bus with a Reverb FX on it. So all your tracks Output to Master and Send to the Reverb bus which also ouputs to Master. Or, in your case, Vocal and Drum tracks Output to the Vocal and Drums buses, and you would put Sends on the those buses to one or more FX buses with all the buses Outputting to Master.