Slate Digital accuired by Audiotonix

Sander Verstraten

This acquisition, and similar recent acquisitions in the industry,  reflect that investors see growth in the market.

Steven did a great job building a very high quality plugin brand and I suspect that this will result in his legacy continuing,  with more resources being allocated to the growth of his former product lines.  Consequently,  I think this is good news for all of us who use DAWs. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

uh oh....

and from a business perspective their success in building a strong subscription model adds another bow in how we grow in the audio creation market.

Uh oh indeed. 
Still, Slate and SSL make for a fine combine. 

It's no surprise that any CEO or investor is impressed with Slate or any software company succeeding with the subscription model. It provides what every software company wants, a reliable, steady stream of income month after month. But I wouldn't be overly concerned about the impact of that related to this acquisition, as Slate was already using the subscription model and I doubt this means that Audiotonix is going to suddenly move everything to a subscription model. My instincts are that, for a lot of companies in this industry, we're more likely to see a mixed model. 

Personally, I don't like or use software subscriptions for music related software. However, when it comes to my business, we have a number of software subscriptions. If I was doing music for a living or owned a commercial studio, I would be fine with subscriptions. As a hobbyist, I avoid subscriptions. 

• Like 1

If they offered cloud and machine activations for iLok for their perpetual licenses, they would likely sell a heap more plugins, so maybe this could help give that a push in the right direction. I can't imagine any changes in the near future however, so at best it would still take a while.

But with Steven running things, there was little to no chance anyway!

11 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

uh oh....

and from a business perspective their success in building a strong subscription model adds another bow in how we grow in the audio creation market.

which is great for me since I wont be buying too much DAW stuff

19 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I think this is good news for all of us who use DAWs.

<humor>
almost as good as when Henry acquired Cakewalk?

</humor>
t

btw, did a year with Slate, realized I could live, was living without it. 
The FG-X can get a track loud, fast. Too bad it’s abandonware…

Edited by DeeringAmps

I hope the new owners will finally add iLok soft (computer) authorization support. I bought a bunch of Slate's VMR plugins over 5 years ago, but have never been able to use them. I never could get the physical dongle to work reliably. They're not even installed on my new DAW laptop. Also, I hope the new owners are more responsive. Back when I was trying to get the dongle to work, I contacted SD numerous times through every channel I could find. Never got a single response, not even an automated "we received your message."

• Like 1