Cakewalk not opening - Solved!

IainT

When I launch Cakewalk the program tries to start and then just disappears again. Specifically, I get the Cakewalk by Bandlab banner and the program tries to open on the screen then it just disappears before it gets the screen where you can open existing projects etc. No error message appears or anything ... it just completely disappears. I have the latest version installed and it was working fine last week. I have re-installed the latest Cakewalk version but have the same problem. On a separate machine it is still working fine. Any ideas out there? I'm running Windows 10, 21H2 version on an i7 machine with 16 GB of RAM, so I don't think there should be any problems with the PC spec.

2 hours ago, IainThompson said:

When I launch Cakewalk the program tries to start and then just disappears again. Specifically, I get the Cakewalk by Bandlab banner and the program tries to open on the screen then it just disappears before it gets the screen where you can open existing projects etc. No error message appears or anything ... it just completely disappears. I have the latest version installed and it was working fine last week. I have re-installed the latest Cakewalk version but have the same problem. On a separate machine it is still working fine. Any ideas out there? I'm running Windows 10, 21H2 version on an i7 machine with 16 GB of RAM, so I don't think there should be any problems with the PC spec.

1: Check that your Antivirus is not blocking it as a "potential virus." 

2: Hold down the SHIFT KEY and confirm if it opens in Safe Mode.

3: This could be a corrupted registry file causing the issue - so a windows backup restore point might fix the issue. 

Thanks Will. Unfortunately it still doesn't open,  having taken the steps you mentioned. I also thought it might be something to do with an antivirus, so had disabled this already. It didn't open in safe mode. I had a restore point from a few days ago, which I went back to, but still the same issue with Cakewalk. Any other suggestions?

10 minutes ago, parboo12 said:

Any chance you have another monitor hooked up and it's starting in that one?

I do have a second monitor, and had already checked for it being in that one (but it isn't). When I have task manager open I can see cakewalk appear in the Apps list and then instantly disappear as the program appears to shutdown.

Some further investigation shows that the crashes are creating so call mini dump files (cakewalk.exe.XXXX.dmp where X = numbers ). Can these be interrogated to investigate this problem further? They are 10Mb files though, so I can't attach them here.

3 hours ago, IainThompson said:

Some further investigation shows that the crashes are creating so call mini dump files (cakewalk.exe.XXXX.dmp where X = numbers ). Can these be interrogated to investigate this problem further? They are 10Mb files though, so I can't attach them here.

Yes create a mini dump and send it to the support team. 

Thanks Will and scook. I saw the article from Noel, hence I found the dmp files. I have sent them off, following the link in Noel's article. I've been searching my mind trying to think what might have changed. I did try to install the drivers for a Korg NanoKontrol 2, so may be this caused a problem. The only reason I discounted this was because my Windows restore point was set before I downloaded the Korg drivers, and on return to this set point the problem didn't resolve. Hopefully the Cakewalk tech team will be able to help.

• IainT changed the title to Cakewalk not opening - Solved!
14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@IainThompson - I didn't realise you were using the nanoKONTROL 2... it could be that your control surface settings file has been corrupted.

Try renaming ctrlsurface.dat  to  ctrlsurface.old  within %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\

And that, my friend, wins the prize! Your suggestion worked, so I have updated the thread title accordingly. Many thanks.