day 17 of cold turkey nicotine withdrawal

pwal³

I am reluctant to say this, but for me this worked. 

All it took was to be shown the stark reality of my health and what had contributed to it.

I really hope it doesn't come to that for anyone. It was like, either change or else.

Maybe some people wouldn't respond the same way and instead they figure they might as well enjoy a few more years at their habit of choice. Maybe similar to the person who maxes out all of the credit cards because they don't have many more tomorrows, or as one well known poster commented " hookers and blow". 

Now that has never been my lifestyle and dying would not cause me to in any way change. Never hired a hooker and never will. As a guy I have been tempted on more than one occasion to look, but it's a rabbit trail just like almost everything else. Women require maintenance and they don't always agree, so in some cases true freedom is not having them around all the time. I am happily married, but my wife has a mind of her own.Don't they all? There's passive disagreement and active disagreement. I don't like either one. That's why we mostly agree on everything. 

Probably the only reason anyone ever gives up something like smoking is because they want to be healthy and live longer. I mean, it isn't because they suddenly lost the urge to like it. The longer you don't do it though, the less of a pull it has. Especially if you replaced it with better things you like to do. For me a coffee in the morning and a nice tea sometimes in the evening. I have learned to enjoy those simple things. If the nicotine monkey had every been on my back, I'm sure it would be a tough thing to kick no doubt. Life is full of choices and all of them lead to outcomes. Some later than others.

1 hour ago, Grem said:

But I keep telling her, ya gotta WANT to quit. When ya really want to quit you will say NO!!

During my hypnotherapy classes this was stressed often.  If someone were to come in and say "My wife says I need to stop smoking!" we were instructed to tell him "That's great, so please come back once YOU want to stop as well!"

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

apart from the dizziness, night sweats, day sweats, headaches, fizzy/numb hands, sleepless nights, etc, it's all good 👍

Trust me when I say, having  Cancer the medications and side-effects are much worse.  Praying that you never smoke another one again.

Peace.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, craigb said:

But those are easy to quit! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Not really. She was 65, 100% narcistic, but not unattractive. What's difficult is to admit to yourself that someone you love absolutely, positively could not care less about anything that matters to you. Someone who is actively trying to damage you psychologically and financially, and who spent the last 6 years of the relationship consciously refusing to show you a single kindness. I even remember vividly the last time she smiled at me, and then saw her realize what she'd done and her smile disappeared and her face darkened. She never smiled at me again. And it took me six freaking years to pull the divorce trigger. Cost me 7 figures and left me nearly broke, but I was finally happy again. I managed to keep one of the two paid-for houses, a couple hundred K and HER dog. He's 14 now, and still with me in France. He's my best friend, the only one who stuck with me during that awful six years. I love him to death. I brought him and my other two dogs with me when I moved here. My one health goal in life now is to outlive all three of them. The youngest, a Chihuahua, is 6. My only source of stress now is what will happen to them if I don't wake up some morning.

For me, quitting smoking was easier. Not easy, but easier.

Sorry for the downer rant. It's Friday morning in France. Time to walk the boys along the beach. Have a great weekend!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John Maar said:

she smiled at me, and then saw her realize what she'd done and her smile disappeared and her face darkened

I have been in a relationship like that. That brought back some memories. Not good ones either.

I did leaver her, eventually. You keep hoping for a change.

The only change you can control is your own. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1