day 17 of cold turkey nicotine withdrawal

pwal³

I have quit several times already. Everytime was cold turkey. 

It's a mental thing. Stay busy when you get the urge. Do whatever is in front of you. Clean, create, take a shower, just move and do something that will help take your mind off of the cravings.

That has worked for me. If you fall off and give in, don't worry, quit again. Just don't give up on yourself.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:33 AM, craigb said:

Tip 3 - "Aids" to help you quit are idiotic at best (like nicotine chewing gum).  In other words, if nicotine was truly addictive biologically, why wouldn't you just get hooked on the gum???  Yet, you don't.

^^^ I agree with everything stated, except for this.

I was a heavy smoker for 20 years. After several cold turkey attempts, some that lasted over a year followed by relapse, it was nicotine gum that finally helped me kick the smoking habit for good! I actually did get addicted to the gum, but then I used regular chewing gum to replace that at the final stages.

Cold turkey: First real attempt, I rode my bicycle for 3 days and drank a lot of water. That sucked, but worked. It gets better after 3 days... and that time it lasted a year.

Patch: I didn't like the constant nicotine dose provided by the patch. I found that I was able to go without nicotine at times, and only wanted nicotine when the sudden cravings hit me. So my preference was for the gum, which I could use only as needed. Kept it in my pocket, so basically with that method I was approaching it more like cold turkey, & just used the gum in case of emergency instead of bumming a smoke. Eventually I used the gum less and less, and the bonus with that is I had long ago broken the psychological connection with the social ritual of lighting up.

Funny: I once had a roommate that quit tobacco by smoking a doobie every time he had the urge to smoke a cigarette. He stayed buzzed all of the time but it worked for him! YMMV! :)

1 hour ago, abacab said:

^^^ I agree with everything stated, except for this.

I was a heavy smoker for 20 years. After several cold turkey attempts, some that lasted over a year followed by relapse, it was nicotine gum that finally helped me kick the smoking habit for good! I actually did get addicted to the gum, but then I used regular chewing gum to replace that at the final stages.

My observations are these:  First, you could be thinking it was addictive when it was merely replacing one social habit with another (recall that many people now think nicotine is addictive because they've been programmed, consciously or unconsciously, to believe that).  A truly biologically addictive substance will have you regularly shuddering in a cold sweat (including waking up several times in the middle of the night) and willing to do just about anything to get more of that substance (e.g., heroin).  Then there's also the placebo effect where your expectation that the gum would help you kick the habit (interesting that they call it that, ya?) helped you do exactly that!  However, the most important thing is this:  NONE OF THAT MATTERS IF IT WORKED FOR YOU!!! 🙂👍

FWIW, I have been hearing about some (definite non-mainstream!) research that seems to indicate that nicotine is basically being used as the scape goat and that it can actually have some benefits under certain circumstances because of how it binds to nicotinic receptors in the brain.  For example, if someone has been bitten by something like a rattle snake, the venom attaches to these receptors which can cause many of the negative symptoms that are experienced, like paralysis.  However, when nicotine is present, these receptors drop the venom like a hot potato in favor of the nicotine!  Additionally, similar to what I alluded to above, the researchers also proposed that the vast majority of health risks that come from smoking can actually be attributed to the chemicals that are added to the nicotine and what the paper is soaked in.  Even though I've never smoked anything, I'll probably continue researching as time allows now that my curiosity as been aroused!  If I find anything else worth mentioning, I'll report back. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, craigb said:

Even though I've never smoked anything

So you are just relying on hearsay and dubious research, rather than first hand experience for your observations that nicotine is not addictive? Ha!

What do you think those nicotine receptors do when you suddenly deprive them of nicotine? 🙄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

So you are just relying on hearsay and dubious research, rather than first hand experience for your observations that nicotine is not addictive? Ha!

What do you think those nicotine receptors do when you suddenly deprive them of nicotine? 🙄

You got me there!  All doctors are required to have had every ailment they treat and never rely on dozens of studies (preferably RCT) and other forms of academia. 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, craigb said:

You got me there!  All doctors are required to have had every ailment they treat and never rely on dozens of studies (preferably RCT) and other forms of academia. 

Well your opinion on nicotine addiction is clearly based on "fringe science", and not backed by mainstream science or the majority of doctors.

Edited by abacab

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

Well your opinion on nicotine addiction is clearly based on "fringe science", and not backed by mainstream science or the majority of doctors.

Most science backed by mainstream "science" and (Western) doctors is not actually what the real studies have found.  In fact, it's usually the opposite to push pharmaceuticals.  The fact that the FDA will only approve treatments and not preventive medicines or cures should tell you all you need to know.  Imagine taking care of things like your car that way!  It's WAAAAY beyond the scope of this forum, but medicine used to about healing people, now it's not ( Here's when it changed ).

I've been deep into many REAL healing modalities that so-called mainstream doctors call pseudoscience.  This includes doing something that a doctor (upon seeing the proof) said "That's impossible!!!"  I'm currently involved with a few groups of doctors and other types of healers that are trying to revive things that actually help cure people.  

Politics-MedicalPriorities.png 

When I was in the military in '84 I got a sore throat and went to the Doc. He told me I had tonsillitis. My first thought was Oh Crap!, they are going to have to yank 'em. Every person up to that point in my life  I had seen with tonsillitis had them removed. He threw some antibiotics at me and said see you. I asked  about it and he said they would remove them if it kept on occurring.  I still have my tonsils to this day.

I wonder if money had anything to do with why non-military doctors always removed them? 🤔

The UAW sponsored a quit smoking class where I worked. One thing they did was give us a prescription for Zyban. Probably still available. It may now  bein a generic version as well. Amazing results for me .. One thing that I noticed on my own is that  "the very act of smoking" is like a deep breathing exercise you do to relax yourself . This may be one reason why you feel a little more relaxed while smoking.  Deep breath in , hold it , exhale slowly. That's actually something that helped me a Lot when a strong craving hit me . I'd do it 3 or 4 times and the craving subsided long enough for me to get thru it .

Best of luck and success ..      mark

On 10/6/2022 at 5:49 AM, Kurre said:

Think harder about how drinking water could rinse out toxins in your body.

Google and you will find that it is a myth.

From past research I knew that drinking water is a good thing, in part by reducing the levels of certain things in a person's body.  But I followed your advice and Googled "Does drinking water help reduce . . . ."  Well, guess what?  Google says that drinking water is (a) good for reducing the harmful effects of some toxic elements in the body, (b) for fostering good health, (c) for minimizing certain health risks and conditions, etc.

Yes, drinking excessive amounts of water can have harmful consequences, but your claim about water is incorrect. And Google proves it!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, craigb said:

Most science backed by mainstream "science" and (Western) doctors is not actually what the real studies have found. 

Well, you either accept Western science, or you do not. I guess it's an individual choice... so will leave it there... 😉

And by the way, the predatory practices of the corporate pharma industry has nothing to do with science. That's a matter of "follow the dollar"...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, User 905133 said:

From past research I knew that drinking water is a good thing, in part by reducing the levels of certain things in a person's body.  But I followed your advice and Googled "Does drinking water help reduce . . . ."  Well, guess what?  Google says that drinking water is (a) good for reducing the harmful effects of some toxic elements in the body, (b) for fostering good health, (c) for minimizing certain health risks and conditions, etc.

Yes, drinking excessive amounts of water can have harmful consequences, but your claim about water is incorrect. And Google proves it!   

I hope you're joking.

I have told the truth.

But of course. If you can't handle the truth you are free to believe whatever you like.

After 51 years and a severe allergy to cig smoke I just started my nicotine fix. My new neighbor said one night ... Here try this vape. I was instantly hooked. I've been doing 2 at once  (double chiefing) the kids call it for a couple months now. I go through 2 of the 3600 puff ones a week now. It actually opens up my nasal passages even though I was tested and am extremely allergic to nicotine. It calms my anxiety and gets me incredibly high for about 3 minutes then Im back to normal ... About 40 times a day.

As for the detox .... I won 2 weight loss/body building competitions back to back a couple years ago. The guy who set it all up had us do a simple detox cocktail and believe me it f'ing works. A lot of people especially coffee drinkers got very sick. He said It flushes your adrenal system iirc. I got a bad headache the first few days then felt great. You put half of a fresh squeezed lemon in 8 oz room temp water and some fresh ground ginger. I used organic ginger paste. Chug it in the morning. It works. We also drank a lot of water throughout the day. The goal 1 gallon a day.

It works.  But be warned if you drink a lot of coffee you will at the very least get a bad headache for a few days. At the least. It didn't just get rid of caffeine. It flushed any toxins. I'm assuming it would have the same effect if you have nicotine in your system but I don't know I stopped doing it a while ago and am afraid to try it again seeing how much I've been vaping.

Good luck with quitting. Smoking has killed several of my family members. Please do everything you can to kick it. Its a wicked terrible way to go when it catches up to you.

11 hours ago, Kurre said:
16 hours ago, User 905133 said:
On 10/6/2022 at 5:49 AM, Kurre said:

Please everybody!

Think harder about how drinking water could rinse out toxins in your body.

Google and you will find that it is a myth.

I hope you're joking.

I have told the truth.

But of course. If you can't handle the truth you are free to believe whatever you like.

I am not joking. 

Plus you have insulted me by saying "If you can't handle the truth . . . ."

Perhaps there is a language issue.

Edited by User 905133
(4) to give Kurre the benefit of the doubt; (3) to call out the insult; (2) to add the statement I responded to in; (1) to add my original statement in