day 17 of cold turkey nicotine withdrawal

pwal³

40 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Try Monk fruit.

That's not bad! Stevia is also a good alternative. But I generally just use organic sugar, raw honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar in moderation. A little goes a long way once you learn to curb your sweet tooth.

I still drink my coffee black, but like the equivalent of 1 tsp sweetener in my tea, regular or herbal.

I like my whiskey straight, none of that fruity sweet crap for me, LOL!!!

Edited by abacab

17 hours ago, abacab said:

That's not bad! Stevia is also a good alternative. But I generally just use organic sugar, raw honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar in moderation. A little goes a long way once you learn to curb your sweet tooth.

I still drink my coffee black, but like the equivalent of 1 tsp sweetener in my tea, regular or herbal.

I like my whiskey straight, none of that fruity sweet crap for me, LOL!!!

Ya, alternative is always better than artificial. The one I mentioned will not spike your numbers if diabetic like the others you mentioned.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

Ya, alternative is always better than artificial. The one I mentioned will not spike your numbers if diabetic like the others you mentioned.

True, but like I said, a little bit in moderation.

If diabetic, be sure to follow your doctor's and nutritionist's advice rather than some random dude on the internet!

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, InstrEd said:

My wife had a dear friend that passed away that always did that.  My wife kept trying to have her go see a nutritionist but she was in denial.  She would drink a 2-liter of diet coke a day at least. 

A man went to his Dr. and asked...."if  I give up smoking, drinking and all the foods I love that are bad for me, will I live to be 100 ?"

The Dr. replied.... " No, it will just feel like it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, paulo said:

A man went to his Dr. and asked...."if  I give up smoking, drinking and all the foods I love that are bad for me, will I live to be 100 ?"

The Dr. replied.... " No, it will just feel like it."

some days my body feels like it is 100+ years old :(

On 10/10/2022 at 2:02 AM, paulo said:

Always amuses me when I see someone at Macca D's or some similar establishment ordering something like... triple cheeseburger with bacon, extra large fries, ice cream and a diet coke. 

Indeed.

Soda pop is pretty much the only unhealthy thing in my diet. So I'll have a super healthy meal and wash it down with that crap. But I figure I've given up on plenty of stuff already. 

17 hours ago, abacab said:

Yup! 😎

And if I am feeling really ambitious I will use a French Press, rather than Mr Coffee!

I broke down and bought one of these, a Nespresso Vertuo machine. It makes great coffee. Unlike other capsule machines, you can order different sizes. 40, 80, 150, 237 and 414 mL. The 237 size is perfect for a regular coffee cup. The 414 is for mugs. Each capsule has a barcode that the machine reads to determine size, water temp and spinning speed. The top may look like crema right after brewing is finished, but it's foam and will settle. Vertuo is not pressure-based like the regular capsule espresso machines. The capsules aren't cheap, about 64 cents for a 237, but at 2/day, I can live with it. And there are about a dozen choices of coffees in that size. The water container holds 1.7 L, so is perfect for a 1.5 L bottle of water.

61lj34nBGfL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 9:39 AM, abacab said:

True, but like I said, a little bit in moderation.

If diabetic, be sure to follow your doctor's and nutritionist's advice rather than some random dude on the internet!

Oh I did. I just got back from my doc with probably the best health checkup I have had in 5 years. He was amazed at my numbers. All I did was cut sugar and go on a keto type diet.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, Rain said:

Indeed.

Soda pop is pretty much the only unhealthy thing in my diet. So I'll have a super healthy meal and wash it down with that crap. But I figure I've given up on plenty of stuff already. 

Yup. No point in being alive if being alive means not having anything at all that you like.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Maar said:

I broke down and bought one of these, a Nespresso Vertuo machine. It makes great coffee. Unlike other capsule machines, you can order different sizes. 40, 80, 150, 237 and 414 mL. The 237 size is perfect for a regular coffee cup. The 414 is for mugs. Each capsule has a barcode that the machine reads to determine size, water temp and spinning speed. The top is may look like crema right after brewing is finished, but it's foam and will settle. Vertuo is not pressure-based like the regular capsule espresso machines. The capsules aren't cheap, about 64 cents for a 237, but at 2/day, I can live with it. And there are about a dozen choices of coffees in that size. The water container holds 1.7 L, so is perfect for a 1.5 L bottle of water.

61lj34nBGfL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Buy your beans and grind 'em the old fashioned way. Cartridges are for sissies!!! 😉

• Like 1

First two, three weeks are the worst. When I finally kicked the habit I was ready to receive whatever blows to get rid of it. No nicotine patches or gum, no more coffee drinking, no excessive eating. Just try to manage and do whatever needed to do to get through the days. Whatever else, but no smoking. And, trying to do stuff that gets your mind off of the thing.

Next January it will be 22 years for me without the cancer sticks. It has definitely gotten easier now. 😂 Have smoked a few ciggies at parties since, but it seems I sometimes long for the event of smoking more than the substance.

You can do it, but don't expect it to be nice in any way. A little amount of masochistic tendency might help here.

• Like 1

can skip the whole withdrawal thingy.

smoked 30+ a day for 35 years, and tried quitting few times, tried all the crab help stuff but all that just confirmed how difficult it was and reminded me I was a smoker.

so that didn't work and just made the quitting an even more huge thing/obstacle/upwards battle to me.

so 1 day I just DECIDED I wasn't gonna smoke anymore, and not even think about whenever I felt like smoking for longer than a few seconds.

peace of cake, if you feel like you want to smoke just think 1 word. NO and quickly grab a noody mag  get your mind on something else 

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 4

I quit long ago. But my wife recently tried to quit. She went back to smoking couple.of days ago after more then two weeks of not smoking. 

I told her hang in there, just give it up again.

But I keep telling her, ya gotta WANT to quit. When ya really want to quit you will say NO!!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1