Recording Standalone vst in Cakewalk

Phil Deacon

Question

Hi _ i have been trying to use the Proteus VX synth 32 bit plugin but the vst does not work in Cakewalk. A box that should hold the synth opens and Cakewalk  recognises it as an instrument but no visualisation appears. If this has been solved it would be good to hear what I need to do. 

I tried to find it as a Rewire Device  but no luck. 

Is it possible to use the Standalone version of Proteus VX vst and record the output in Cakewalk as an audio input only? 

18 answers to this question

Audacity has audio loopback capability built-in.  That capability gives you the ability to record what you hear coming from your computer headphones or speakers.  You might be able to use either the standalone or 32 bit version of the Proteus VX synth plugin to generate sound and Audacity to record the audio output.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to all -  I have just found a way to get this to load in Cakewalk. I was able to open it in Minihost Modular 32 bit previously but couldn't get Cakewalk to recognise Minihost other than the 64 bit plugin. Solution as follows

I downloaded JBridger.

Created JBridger files for both  Minihost Modular and Proteus VX.

1. Opened the Minihost Modular (J Bridger) vst in Cakewalk as a soft synth track - then opened Proteus VX dll in Minihost Modular - result - Proteus displays OK and I've loaded up a couple of patches which seem to work.

PS  - Lenovo P52 laptop - Win10 - Tascam usb interface - MAudio oxygen Pro controller.

2. Created a jBridger dll file for Proteus VX. It loads as a soft synth in Cakewalk and loaded up a couple of patches. There is sound but needed to tweak settings to get fully working.  Now seems OK.

But the end result is - you can get Proteus VX to work in Cakewalk 64 bit version and it is still usable. 

Hope this all makes sense

Edited by Phil Deacon
Note it works on Win 10
  • Like 2

The answer is yes, but it's REALLY complicated to set up.  It involves using MIDI loopback devices, and either aggregate ASIO drivers or audio loopback devices.

First of all though, have you tried running the ProteusVX via JBridge instead of BitBridge?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bdickens said:

It really doesn't work in W10 period. Time to move on.

It's a pity, because there really isn't anything out there that does the same thing - the filters are amazing, but totally proprietary.  The only other option is getting a 2nd hand hardware Morpheus, UltraProteus, or Emulator E6000 - all of which are rare & expensive.

Over the past several months it looks like DSF has partnered with some companies.  I recall seeing the Ensoniq/E-Mu Proteus line being offered on an AIR Music Tech webpage several months ago (under Expansions) and something more recently.  I just checked.  It looks like they are offered for AIR's Structure Free / Structure Pro. IIRC they were redone to work with AIR's products.  I recall seeing another partnership after that.  Maybe it was the Kontakt one.  EDIT: Just looked at the new DSF site. Kontakt is the new one I remember seeing.

Also disappointing is that Emulator X software can no longer be authorized.  Several years ago I did see a forum that mentioned the availability of a hacked version, but I didn't pay much attention because I had a paid version. 

Note: I don't have NI's Kontakt or AIR's Structure; no idea which implementation is better, but I would be very surprised if they offered the same synth engine features of the hardware or the E-Mu software.

https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/product/e-mu-proteus-rack/

https://www.airmusictech.com/expansions.html

Edited by User 905133
to add links to a discussion in the forum, to DSF, and to AIR; anto update info

Have been tempted to try the DSF Proteus library for Kontakt since my hardware UltraProteus went belly up, but am afraid I will be disappointed by the usual 'static' nature of sampled hardware even if it's been dressed up with Kontakt features. Watched for it to go on sale, but it never has.

Anybody have it?

Edited by David Baay

Thanks  to all -  (Jim Fogle) I have recorded through Audacity using other standalones so I suppose I can do a wav export import to Cakewalk.

As regards midi I may explore using one of the vst host freebies with built in midi record function and seeing whether I can create the odd phrase/loop and record the audio result in Audacity to then import into Cakewalk. I could use the audio editing features in Cakewalk to adjust timing if needed. 

Not an expert in software recording yet but always looking for ways around a problem. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 12:47 PM, David Baay said:

Have been tempted to try the DSF Proteus library for Kontakt since my hardware UltraProteus went belly up, but am afraid I will be disappointed by the usual 'static' nature of sampled hardware even if it's been dressed up with Kontakt features. Watched for it to go on sale, but it never has.

Anybody have it?

New sale just started.  https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/product/e-mu-kontakt-proteus-legacy/

dsf.jpg

I think I found the answer:

• 14 – “I am getting a “dispatcher opcode X failed” message.”
    • For dispatcher opcode 1 messages:
      • – Try enabling the “dirty close” option.
    • For dispatcher opcode 14/15 messages:
      • – Try enabling the “prevent main host control when the GUI window is closed” option.
    • For dispatcher opcode 19 messages:
      • – Try enabling the “I am getting a dispatcher opcode 19 error message” option.
  • If the problem remains:
    • – Try the separate GUI mode. Please see issue no. 12 for details on how to switch to the separate GUI mode.

Source: jBridge Troubleshooting Guide

ORIGINAL ISSUE:

Since Emulator X3 can no longer be authorized on additional PCs (hence I cannot authorize it on my current audio PC), I picked up the jBridge demo. So far Proteus VX seems to work, but I get an unhappy message.  (See below.) To tell Cakewalk to use jBridge, I used the plug-in manager and told Cakewalk to use the jBridge wrapper.

Should I have done something different to get Cakewalk to use jBridge? Any suggestions?

image.png.29745d3c8e92ad43445efeeaa6dd96c1.png

I suppose I could try installing an ancient E-Mu PCI card and see if Emulator X or X2 will work under Windows 10 but I seem to recall that only X3 worked with Windows 10. 

Thanks.

Edited by User 905133
added potential solution and source citation

59 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I think I found the answer:

ORIGINAL ISSUE:

Since Emulator X3 can no longer be authorized on additional PCs (hence I cannot authorize it on my current audio PC), I picked up the jBridge demo. So far Proteus VX seems to work, but I get an unhappy message.  (See below.) To tell Cakewalk to use jBridge, I used the plug-in manager and told Cakewalk to use the jBridge wrapper.

Should I have done something different to get Cakewalk to use jBridge? Any suggestions?

image.png.29745d3c8e92ad43445efeeaa6dd96c1.png

I suppose I could try installing an ancient E-Mu PCI card and see if Emulator X or X2 will work under Windows 10 but I seem to recall that only X3 worked with Windows 10. 

Thanks.

There's a setting in JBridge that specifically deals with this issue AFAIK... have you checked the JBridge config for that plugin?

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

There's a setting in JBridge that specifically deals with this issue AFAIK... have you checked the JBridge config for that plugin?

Yes.  I had edited the post with quote earlier but just put in the citation.  I found them by clicking on the "Settings" link at the bottom of the plug-in box.  In case someone else gets the same error code, this is what I did:

Try enabling the “prevent main host control when the GUI window is closed” option.

Thanks.

Edited by User 905133