Where's Cakewalk by Bandlab headed?

Lee D

There was a lot of excitement when it was purchased by Bandlab and made free.  But it's gotten very quiet now in terms of commentary by Meng.  Just curious if there's any details of how Cakewalk is going to fit into Bandlab's business or generate revenue going forward, or a planned timeline?  

15 minutes ago, gmp said:

I live in Nashville. I may show up. Any ideas on who will be there from Cakewalk? 

I don't know, Summer NAMM isn't really a technology show. I assume Noel will be there to see what various companies are up to...or maybe just to buy another guitar :) 

I suspect BandLab's big focus will be their Harmony guitars, Mono cases, and the like, but I'm just speculating based on what seems logical. 

• Like 1

I can understand ones curiosity, but does it really matter ? What are we planning for ?

I hope this doesn't sound a slight or me being ignorant, I just don't see how it matters ? Bandlab has delivered on its promise (for over a year now) to make Cakewalk free. That's good enough for me.

• Like 4
  • Meh 1

11 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I can understand ones curiosity, but does it really matter ? What are we planning for ?

I hope this doesn't sound a slight or me being ignorant, I just don't see how it matters ? Bandlab has delivered on its promise (for over a year now) to make Cakewalk free. That's good enough for me.

Sorry, I should have checked with you.  What criteria should I be using to determine if something "really matters"?

I kinda wonder sometimes, maybe in the way some like to follow baseball team stats. We all have opinions in everything. I see nothing wrong in either case. Truth be told there are probably a few more who might like to know more than they do about CbB. I guess mine is a passing interest.  I don't have a lot invested in the program as a mainstay. I really want to see these guys continue to do well as they have been. Many people have worked hard over the years to make this program what it is. Many more continue to share their knowledge with us, people like scook and Noel try to help and clarify when they have the opportunity.

In the beginning I believe we were sort of kept in the loop more because things were changing and Meng wanted to keep everyone up to date.  While it would be nice to know what's going on behind closed doors I don't expect this is something  that will be a regular occurrence.

It would probably matter more if my income hinged on decisions made at those levels. I'm always interested to hear what they care to share with us.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, Lee D said:

There was a lot of excitement when it was purchased by Bandlab and made free.  But it's gotten very quiet now in terms of commentary by Meng.  Just curious if there's any details of how Cakewalk is going to fit into Bandlab's business or generate revenue going forward, or a planned timeline?  

As a user of Cakewalk's products for over 20+ years,  my  humble opinion is that BandLab's business is not any of our business. They are developing and supporting a free DAW that is being given to us, for free. I am just grateful for the gift, with no questions or attitude!

But if your business depends on knowing where the product plans stand in the long term, I would suggest that PAYING for one of the commercial DAWs that cater to music professionals would probably give you more peace of mind, rather than worrying about what might happen. ;)

16 minutes ago, abacab said:

As a user of Cakewalk's products for over 20+ years,  my  humble opinion is that BandLab's business is not any of our business. They are developing and supporting a free DAW that is being given to us, for free. I am just grateful for the gift, with no questions or attitude!

But if your business depends on knowing where the product plans stand in the long term, I would suggest that PAYING for one of the commercial DAWs that cater to music professionals would probably give you more peace of mind, rather than worrying about what might happen. ;)

Humble?  That's what they call unsolicited off-topic opinions nowadays?

Can the folks who don't have anything constructive to add please just ignore this thread and move on?  I didn't create this topic to get your opinions on whether it's a valid topic.  

2 hours ago, Starise said:

I kinda wonder sometimes, maybe in the way some like to follow baseball team stats. We all have opinions in everything. I see nothing wrong in either case. Truth be told there are probably a few more who might like to know more than they do about CbB. I guess mine is a passing interest.  I don't have a lot invested in the program as a mainstay. I really want to see these guys continue to do well as they have been. Many people have worked hard over the years to make this program what it is. Many more continue to share their knowledge with us, people like scook and Noel try to help and clarify when they have the opportunity.

In the beginning I believe we were sort of kept in the loop more because things were changing and Meng wanted to keep everyone up to date.  While it would be nice to know what's going on behind closed doors I don't expect this is something  that will be a regular occurrence.

It would probably matter more if my income hinged on decisions made at those levels. I'm always interested to hear what they care to share with us.

That's fair if they want to run it that way.  I was just curious, you figure they have some plans for the future.  Many businesses are happy when people want to know more about them and their plans... I figure Bandlab is probably one of them because they are based online.

11 minutes ago, Lee D said:

Humble?  That's what they call unsolicited off-topic opinions nowadays?

Can the folks who don't have anything constructive to add please just ignore this thread and move on?  I didn't create this topic to get your opinions on whether it's a valid topic.  

LOL! This is a public forum, and you will get opinions that you don't agree with.  No forum etiquette was broken here, except for you deciding to be rude!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, abacab said:

LOL! This is a public forum, and you will get opinions that you don't agree with.  No forum etiquette was broken here, except for you deciding to be rude!

K you win. 

• Like 1

I think they're (Bandlab) headed for more and smoother integration between CbB and their online "social music" project. It would be great if they could make it so we could collaborate with others more or less in real time using a set of online tools designed to work seamlessly with CbB. But that's just my guess, and given the current state of technology, who knows how long it would take?

FYI, forum users have been grousing at each other and The Man since forever, regarding the direction we are all headed. Toes are sometimes stepped on.  Feathers are ruffled. But it's not real  -- it's just an online forum. No real harm, right? Don't be so touchy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lee D said:

Sorry, I should have checked with you.  What criteria should I be using to determine if something "really matters"?

I simply gave my opinion just like you did.

Shouldn't we all be entitled to our own opinions ? Or is it only you who should only be entitled to an opinion ?

I didn't create this topic to get your opinions on whether it's a valid topic.  

Oh now I see, we aren't entitled to our opinions.

8 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

I think they're (Bandlab) headed for more and smoother integration between CbB and their online "social music" project. It would be great if they could make it so we could collaborate with others more or less in real time using a set of online tools designed to work seamlessly with CbB. But that's just my guess, and given the current state of technology, who knows how long it would take?

FYI, forum users have been grousing at each other and The Man since forever, regarding the direction we are all headed. Toes are sometimes stepped on.  Feathers are ruffled. But it's not real  -- it's just an online forum. No real harm, right? Don't be so touchy.

Yeah I can definitely see them differentiating themselves by having projects on the cloud where you can collaborate with other users. I think they will need to release a few "unified" instruments and effects for this to happen.  A subscription fee could then be charged to be able to create music in this way.  That would be very interesting.