MIDI overdub touch replace?

Jrides

Some sequencers have a feature which allows you to record in over dub mode and only replace the note or controller that you touch.  For example, some people find this useful to correct midi cc on the fly.

MIDI over dub  erase let’s you use a modifier in overdub touch mode, which erases the note or controller that you touch on the fly. This is especially useful when in looping record mode. Logic calls this spot erase I believe.

Basically it’s a way to record /punch in and out, but the only data that is impacted is the key or controller you press.

Does Cakewalk have features which allow either of these functions?

Edited by Jrides

2 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Like this? pp 714 of the reference guide.

image.thumb.png.04004270e8327cf0d1f9b9677f91ecf2.png

yes that works for cc but I’m interested in the same behavior with notes. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that feature though. If I decide to go with Cakewalk, it may come in handy at some point in the future.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

I would really recommend spending some quality time with the documentation.

cool. Feel free to point to the place in the documentation that shows where this is possible with midi notes.

Edited by Jrides

Cakewalk only has Touch mode for writing automation envelopes. If you use automation envelopes for MIDI controllers, you'll be able to overwrite in touch mode, but there is no equivalent for actual controller (or note) 'events' in a MIDI track.

EDIT: Comp record mode could help achieve the desired result, but you would likely have to do some editing with the Comp tool in lanes and/or in the PRV after recording the overdub.

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 1

I just delete the data in question & re-record in sound on sound mode. Delete is easy if no "snap to" is on. You can highlight and easily delete just the notes you need to delete in track mode.

Personally I think comp mode is a pain in the butt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, David Baay said:

Cakewalk only has Touch mode for writing automation envelopes. If you use automation envelopes for MIDI controllers, you'll be able to overwrite in touch mode, but there is no equivalent for actual controller (or note) 'events' in a MIDI track.

EDIT: Comp record mode could help achieve the desired result, but you would likely have to do some editing with the Comp tool in lanes and/or in the PRV after recording the overdub.

On 10/3/2022 at 3:54 PM, rfssongs said:

I just delete the data in question & re-record in sound on sound mode. Delete is easy if no "snap to" is on. You can highlight and easily delete just the notes you need to delete in track mode.

Personally I think comp mode is a pain in the butt.

thanks for the suggestions! These solutions aren’t quite what I’m trying to accomplish. However, I appreciate your attempt to help.

Really trying just to re-create the workflow found on older hardware sequencers. Quite a few devices allowed you to hold down the erase button and press the offensive note in real time while the song was playing to erase it. Cakewalk audio language doesn’t look like it could achieve this, from what I see. However, reaper might be able to do this with some scripting. I’ll take a look into it. Being visually impaired, I’m trying to  eliminate as much mousing around as possible.

• Thanks 1

I think the closest functionality you will fiind in Cakewalk is selecting a note in the PRV or Event List, and then using Tab to step-play one note at time in the active track, and hit delete when you hear the offending note. Shift+Tab to step backwards.

The one shortcoming of this approach is that you will need to use the mouse to select the first note to play, and to select another after deleting a selected one.

If you maximize the PRV and zoom as much as possible, that will probably be the best place to do it.

Incidentally, because of a recent change to default keybindings, you will have to create the binding of Tab and Shift+Tab to Audiosnaps Go To Next/Previous Transient Marker in Global Bindings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I think the closest functionality you will fiind in Cakewalk is selecting a note in the PRV or Event List, and then using Tab to step-play one note at time in the active track, and hit delete when you hear the offending note. Shift+Tab to step backwards.

The one shortcoming of this approach is that you will need to use the mouse to select the first note to play, and to select another after deleting a selected one.

If you maximize the PRV and zoom as much as possible, that will probably be the best place to do it.

Incidentally, because of a recent change to default keybindings, you will have to create the binding of Tab and Shift+Tab to Audiosnaps Go To Next/Previous Transient Marker in Global Bindings.

This is very good information. Super helpful.  CBB, is nice and has been pretty fun to work with so far. I have some experience with Cakewalk pro audio 9, so the platform is not completely unfamiliar.  Your solution might prove to be a reasonable workaround. Much easier  than learning to script in reaper.

14 hours ago, Jrides said:

This is very good information. Super helpful.

Glad to help. This is basically how editing had to be done back in early versions of Cakewlk for DOS when the Event List was the only method of doing note-level editing.

I still find it useful. And even when not using it to audition notes, Tab-to-Notes/Transients is extremely handy in all views for precisely setting the Now time and then setting From=Now or Thru=Now. to mark one end of a selection or split clips, etc.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1