How to make LPK25 make a sound

Bladtband

1 hour ago, Bladtband said:

I have no intension of using Cakewalk for anything but getting sound out of my Akai LPK25. I don't know how to get it to make a sound. Please help. Jens

Evidently the LPK25 is a MIDI controller.  MIDI controllers do not make sounds; they can connect to either hardware or software synths which make the sound. Cakewalk by Bandlab comes with TTS-1 plus a few others can be installed with Cakewalk.  There are also many makers of software synths (free and commercial).  Some of these come as plug-ins and require a "host" (such as software recording package like Cakewalk). Some work in standalone mode (that is to say, they do not need a host).

If you are planning to use VSTs (one type of plug-in) there are a number of videos that show you how to insert soft synths / instruments into Cakewalk, to set up your audio device to work with Cakewalk, and to route a midi controller through Cakewalk so the software synth plays sounds.

If you are not planning to produce, compose, or record sounds/audio/music with software synths (i.e., you just want to play), you might want to consider using standalone software instruments that don't need a host or using a plug-in host. Cakewalk (like many other Digital Audio Workstations [DAWS]) have significant learning curves.

There are several ways of inserting a software instrument into Cakewalk. Cakewalk accommodates different workflows once you have your controller set up properly so Cakewalk "sees" the midi data, you have an audio device (aka an audio interface or chip) setup properly, and you have opened a new project.

Hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
to add links to some resources and additional comments
  • Like 1