Can’t Send 2 Mixer Channels as Individual Tracks

Ken Newton

Question

Hi, I want to record 2 acoustic bass tracks, one miked, one direct, at the same time.  Attached the mic to the mic cable, then into the Channel 1 mic port of my (Alexis Multimix 4 USB FX) board.  Attached the bass direct to Channel 2 via a 3/4 inch mic cable.  The board is connected to my PC via USB cable.  I tried several different setting configurations to make this happen; no go.  Any ideas?  Thanks, -k

6 answers to this question

Have you downloaded and installed the "Professional Software Suite" from the Alesis site? If so, is there a software mixer in which you set the inputs and outputs?
Looking at it online, it doesn't seem to be a good choice for someone who wants trouble-free recording. The lack of an ASIO driver (which is almost a requirement for recording satisfaction with Cakewalk by Bandlab) is the biggest problem, I think. The "Optional ASIO4All" driver is not a 'real' ASIO driver and can cause problems with other audio drivers.
Sorry I can't tell you how to best use it, but if it is recently purchased, I would consider returning it and buying an ASIO-compatible interface. Devices from MOTU, Presonus, Focusrite have a pretty good record with CbB.

Record Via USB

MultiMix 4 USB FX contains a complete USB recording interface. Plug the MultiMix 4 USB FX’s class-compliant USB connection into your Mac or PC without the need for software drivers
Professional Software Suite

The MultiMix 4 USB FX includes all the software you need to begin your production. This special bundle includes the AIR Mini Grand virtual piano, DB-33 virtual organ and Eleven Lite, with over 20 high-quality guitar, amp and effect models.
https://www.alesis.com/products/view/multimix-4-usb-fx
Emphasisms by me.

• Like 1

In that case, ensure that all the device's inputs are seen by Cakewalk in Preferences and you should be able to select separate inputs for each track and record as you are trying to do.
I do it all the time, recording my acoustic guitar with a microphone and with a Seymour Duncan pick-up simultaneously on 2 different tracks. With an E-Mu 0404 interface and SONAR Home Studio on a Windows XP machine.  I have yet to get a modern interface for this computer, so CbB is installed for reference.

You just need to pan Channel 1 hard left, and Channel 2 hard right on the mixer.  Make sure you're not using any of the mixer's in-built FX.

In Cakewalk create two audio tracks, one with the input set to the Left channel only and the other to the Right channel only. 

Then arm them both and hit record.