Cannot Import Files (midi & wav) from Garage Band

Steve Patrick

My Dear Forumites,

I have a friend who has asked me to mix a tune he and his musical partner have done in Garage Band.  He was able to export both wav and midi files from GB (although the process is very un-intuitive) and provide them to me.  However, the wav files are not recognized by ANY of my audio programs and will not import into SPLAT and the midi files are seen as "damaged".  Is it possible to import files from GB and if so...HOW????

may be review the steps to export from GB? WAV files are a very well defined standard uncompressed format. so if your other audio apps cannot read them, chances are they're not right... make sure (for example) that the TYPE is WAV and not something like AIFF with a .WAV extension. or export them as AIFF and convert (which is what i do when people send me audio files from an Apple product - like Logic) to WAV.

The MIDI file - may be the same issue.  There are different types of MIDI files; the most common are type 0, where all information is contained in a single multi-channel track; and type 1, which puts each channel of MIDI data on its own track. Type 2 contains multiple patterns which are arranged as a song.  you want (most times, Type 1).