Pro Tools Intro Free DAW

satya

8 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I'm still going to hold out for the they pay me to use it version.

I'm the same, but I'd want to charge them a annual subscription fee just so they know how it feels to get shafted each year like they try and push on their customers victims 🤣

In saying that, there's no way they could pay me enough to use Protools! Cakewalk wins over this crippled free edition hands down in my opinion as well.

It's always been funny that the so called "Industry Standard" DAW never supported the "Industry Standard" plugin format, aka VST Plugins!

There really are much better DAWs out there these days, with much better pricing and licensing options, along with being more open with plugin standards, so I'm surprised they've held on as long as they have.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

As far as Free goes nothing beats Cakewalk. But if you don't like the interface, or you're on Linux or Mac, there are other alternatives:

• Tracktion has a free version that is, for all intents and purposes, unlimited in every important feature.
  • Soundbridge is another fairly fully featured DAW that's somewhat oriented towards beginners.
  • LMMS, the darling of the Open-Source community. And on Linux there is Ardour.
  • And a bunch of other free DAWs that have been around for a while, like Podium Free, as well as "music apps" suited for beginners like MPC Beats, Steinberg Sequel, Zenbeats, or Music Maker.
  • If you don't specifically need VST support, then the list of free DAWs is even bigger.

Overall, it's not that I'm looking for reasons to complain.
After all, Avid's new free offering is not necessarily the worst free DAW.
And at least it lets you load up your own AAX plugins.

But it's also yet another alternative in a sea of alternatives, and a DAW that's mostly aimed at older musicians.

Ableton Live Lite comes bundled with so much studio equipment. In fact, IIRC, Ableton will actually send you a free Live Lite license if you can prove (picture of product box and/or equipment S/N) that you bought a pre-owned piece of equipment that originally came with a Live Lite license.

Meanwhile Bitwig 8-Track can often be found bundled with 10$ magazines.

Edited by Cristian
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kurre said:

We should also mention that Pro Tools Intro can be installed and used without the need for an iLok.

yea i saw the installation video and u r right, it just automatically fetched my ilok id when i registered

9 hours ago, MusicMan said:

It's always been funny that the so called "Industry Standard" DAW never supported the "Industry Standard" plugin format, aka VST Plugins!

And also a pain that some plugin installers install ProTools formats to clutter up my drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antler said:

And also a pain that some plugin installers install ProTools formats to clutter up my drive.

I really can't stress enough how much this annoys me! Even damn Softube who should know better have installers that don't give you that choice.. I will never use AAX plugins.. or Protools for that matter 🤣

Then sometimes I delete AAX plugins and then various developer's installers tell me that there's issues and I need to fix them before being able to install updates!

They're like a virus 🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

Then sometimes I delete AAX plugins and then various developer's installers tell me that there's issues and I need to fix them before being able to install updates!

They're like a virus 🤣

I think XLN audio is one of them! Ones I deleted all of the AAX, and XLN plugins kept bitching about it! I wasn't able to use even vst or au versions. Never bought anything from XLN after that!

17 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

I am running Intro with the ILok software manager that allows you to register it to your drive!! Never had a dongle EVER!!

I've learned the hard it's more convenient to have the dongle.  There's no fun in contacting developers to reset your license.

3 hours ago, Last Call said:

How?

Make sure to uninstall all the stuff first, just to make sure you do not accidentally launch it again and it reactivates.

Right click the entry in your iLok License Manager and click Deactivate.

image.thumb.png.d5b7cb4eee257bbc05dc67ef02c72135.png

Then you hit OK to confirm deactivation of the license.

image.png.5670e55a2e0156006c7b3dc956f1822f.png

Off topic but yeah, I know there's a lot of trash in my iLok account. 😂

Edited by Cristian
  • Haha 1