Computer Mic Picking Up Fan Noise When Recording

sjoens

When recording "notes to self" using built-in laptop soundcard & mic array and any audio recorder, the results include  the cooling fan cycling on and off.

The fan is quiet by ear but on the recording you'd think it's the loudest thing in the room.

Fan cycles 4 min ON, 2 min OFF.

I had an old boom box cassette deck internal mic that would do the same thing recording motor noise.

This can't be normal?!

Sample: (silence - fan start/stop - silence)

lp fan (5).mp3

Edited by sjoens

Any outboard would be better. You can’t expect to get a great recording without a little outboard equipment. You might see producers using a laptop, but they are not using an inboard mic. There are plenty of outboard usb setups that are descent. Maybe some one here will chime in with some suggestions. 

I want to be sarcastic with this one 😂 but i wont.

With laptops theres no way to get around this unfortunetly. Even condenser mics picks up the A/C in your studio including other noises. 

Because its a built-in mic the motor of the fan vibrates through the casing/chasis of the laptop in to the mic creating the hum and air noice you hear, even when its quiet to the naked ear - considering where the mic sits and fan is located in that tiny case. 

If this was with outboad gear, I wouldve suggested you check all wall sockets for earth leak related issues and even in your cables, but - yeah: There's no way to avoid/isolate/remove these noises within a laptop.

Grab yourself the BM-800 condenser mic kit for as little as $8. Its crazy how decent this mic sounds for its price -  that's why it's so popular amongst the youth and podcasters on youtube today.  

Edited by Will.