Bugs in Automation.

Will.

Ouch! 

• When automating one channel in the Sonitus Delay manually - automation introduce clicks and pops.

• When automating one channel in the Valhalla delay it starts in stereo on replay. 

• Same clicks and pops with the Manny delay when automating one channel. 

So basically when you're creating a mono out to stereo | or | a longer time delay in on channel - theres bugs. 

Yikes! It even exports with these sounds too. 

Edited by Will.

To be honest, I think this is pretty common behaviour among many delay plugins.  If you've got a tempo-sync'd delay, and you change the tempo mid-way through, it's gonna sound weird.  I've heard everything from clicks & pops, to stuttering and strange pitch sweeps.

Even adjusting the delay time in real time through a delay plugin's UI will give similar results - and I've seen similar behaviour with hardware digital delays as well.

To stop this behaviour, use two delays and use automation on the delay's bypass or input level to switch one off and the other on at the point of the tempo change.

If you've got a smooth tempo change, it's more complex to solve, but you can normally get away with calculating the equivalent ms time for the tempo and setting it to that rather than sync'ing to tempo and leaving it on that setting until you switch over to the other delay.

Alternatively, you may find a delay which behaves better with dynamically changing the delay time while in use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

To be honest, I think this is pretty common behaviour . . .

This cant be true. It even exports the clicks and pops too. 

FWIW: I'm doing this effect everytime and never ever heard this behaviour before. I took that same vocal and created this outside of CbB (Different DAW) and tge same Valhalla and Manny Delay does not do this. It does it with the Channel Tools (width/pan sliders) as well. 

EXAMPLE: The Valhalla starts in mono out to stereo at startup, but then stays in stereo on the effect and export as such too when you duplicate the clip. Meaning it doesnt start back at mono going out to stereo to repeat the effect. 

I'm gona to have to do a rollback to verify this, because I have some rides starting in mono going out to stereo in build ups on old cakewalk projects and this is a first. 

Edited by Will.

On 10/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, msmcleod said:

To stop this behaviour, use two delays and use automation on the delay's bypass or input level to switch one off and the other on at the point of the tempo change.

Trying this out and it has some major flaws. 

It produces  information down the middle. 

Alternatively: Use two sends in pre-fader mode with the slider to -INF. Issue with this is . . . the two Aux Tracks needs to be in mono on the interleave and with its "Inputs set to stereo. 😕 otherwise it cancel out. 

Second issue here are the send pan knobs. You cant set it to "Follow Track Pan." This introduces two extra steps. Luckily if doing this effect on a rise, so its a quick workaround for

I need to revist your original TIP above. Perhaps my delay settings was wrong. I tried this with the Valhalla and it has a strict follow interleave protocol to the bone. 

NOTE: the effect needs to be in pre-fader mode, so that it can be placed in a space far back. 

Edited by Will.