8Dio Anthology Strings $50

BTP

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

Once in a lifetime deal is now a naive thought.

I've only ever seen Komplete discounted 50% once for new users. Usually, it's only upgrades that are discounted.

Some United Plugins plugins have the deepest discount at their intro price, e.g. Voxessor

3 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

As are good drums, good guitars, good basses, good pianos,  good electric pianos, good organs, good percussion, good tuned percussion, good brass and woodwinds...I just picked up Xperimenta's harmonium, so good harmoniums.... Yeah,  and I started this year thinking,  I'm not even sure if I should spend another cent on music stuff, that my playing is so poor it was time to throw in the towel. Then I was asked to do a demo for a developer and I'm back to buying stuff. 

Weering off the topic again...

I have basically stopped* buying any more effects plugins, unless they do something different or there is some crazy discount. My plan is to find out what I can do with the ones I have (and I do have alot) and if I at some point find out I'm limited by my current options, I'll buy some more then. But at that point I hopefully have a clear picture of what I actually need.

With instruments it's more difficult. I know I need and want strings and other orchestral instruments, synths, "ethnic" instruments, percussion instruments of all kinds, things that make weird sounds. And there always seems to be something new that sounds just different enough to warrant the purchase. It's much harder to draw the line, to say that now I have enough.

I'm trying to create a more curated collection of instruments so I could have a better understanding of what I have and what I can do with it. I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to go about doing it, but I know I currently have way too much stuff and I strongly believe I need to limit myself, to have less options, in order to be more productive.

But there's always something that comes along...

* Tried to. It's a process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pseudopop said:

Weering off the topic again...

I have basically stopped* buying any more effects plugins, unless they do something different or there is some crazy discount. My plan is to find out what I can do with the ones I have (and I do have alot) and if I at some point find out I'm limited by my current options, I'll buy some more then. But at that point I hopefully have a clear picture of what I actually need.

With instruments it's more difficult. I know I need and want strings and other orchestral instruments, synths, "ethnic" instruments, percussion instruments of all kinds, things that make weird sounds. And there always seems to be something new that sounds just different enough to warrant the purchase. It's much harder to draw the line, to say that now I have enough.

I'm trying to create a more curated collection of instruments so I could have a better understanding of what I have and what I can do with it. I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to go about doing it, but I know I currently have way too much stuff and I strongly believe I need to limit myself, to have less options, in order to be more productive.

But there's always something that comes along...

* Tried to. It's a process.

Basically, I'm trying to do the same to stop my endless stream of acquisitions. I could be fine with everything I already own and I still don't know how to use a heck of a lot of the effect plugins I own. So, of course,  I'm no one to give advice in this area. But one thing I've done that helps is creating Cakewalk project files by instrument category and I drill down. For example,  I have a file with all of my upright character pianos so that if I'm tempted by a new upright character piano,  I'll go open that project file and spend time with those pianos to really understand if the library I'm looking at really would fill a need or not. That's mostly been effective this year. But the one thing where I've broken the rule? The inexpensive libraries along the way and figuring out how to create my own programs in SoundPaint. 

I think all of us regulars in this forum have the same buying habits. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Basically, I'm trying to do the same to stop my endless stream of acquisitions. I could be fine with everything I already own and I still don't know how to use a heck of a lot of the effect plugins I own. So, of course,  I'm no one to give advice in this area. But one thing I've done that helps is creating Cakewalk project files by instrument category and I drill down. For example,  I have a file with all of my upright character pianos so that if I'm tempted by a new upright character piano,  I'll go open that project file and spend time with those pianos to really understand if the library I'm looking at really would fill a need or not. That's mostly been effective this year. But the one thing where I've broken the rule? The inexpensive libraries along the way and figuring out how to create my own programs in SoundPaint. 

I think all of us regulars in this forum have the same buying habits. 

Yeah, I've heard people talk about doing these kinds of instrument audition projects before. It's definitely something I'm going to try at some point.

But my instrument list already has over 400 instruments (certain bundles and libraries like BBCSO count as one) and I know it's missing at least one third of what I actually have. I'm sure many of you have even more VIs, but as a simple hobbyist I am currently overwhelmed by my menagerie. I feel that before I can start auditioning instrument types, I need to go through some kind of process on a more fundamental level to get on top of things. Adding the missing instruments on my list would probably help, as would taking some time to think things through.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pseudopop said:

Yeah, I've heard people talk about doing these kinds of instrument audition projects before. It's definitely something I'm going to try at some point.

But my instrument list already has over 400 instruments (certain bundles and libraries like BBCSO count as one) and I know it's missing at least one third of what I actually have. I'm sure many of you have even more VIs, but as a simple hobbyist I am currently overwhelmed by my menagerie. I feel that before I can start auditioning instrument types, I need to go through some kind of process on a more fundamental level to get on top of things. Adding the missing instruments on my list would probably help, as would taking some time to think things through.

Okay, today I made a project file of glockenspiels. I played percussion in the school band from elementary through HS and got to fill in for the kid who played glockenspiel and fell in love with the instrument. So how many glockenspiel libraries did I find I have? More than 20. Even worse, I still have my eyes on another glockenspiel library. So yeah, theoretically,  having those project files keeps me aware of what I already own which would seem to lead to less purchases of libraries I already have sufficiently covered. Clearly though,  it hasn't stopped my GAS. 

Edited by PavlovsCat