8Dio Anthology Strings $50

BTP

20 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

Peter, I think must have used your referral link before because it doesn't work here.  Is it possible to use someone else's or is it a one-time thing?  I suppose that leaves me with offering my own referral link which in turn would give me a $15 credit.  Or, if someone else wants to share their referral link, I'll try again.  I've got lots of 8Dio (long-time fan) but probably won't drop $50 for this.  $35 would be tempting for sure. 

http://8diocom.refr.cc/wrenrobinson

Referral discount works only for people who have never purchased anything from 8dio before.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

Peter, I think must have used your referral link before because it doesn't work here.  Is it possible to use someone else's or is it a one-time thing?  I suppose that leaves me with offering my own referral link which in turn would give me a $15 credit.  Or, if someone else wants to share their referral link, I'll try again.  I've got lots of 8Dio (long-time fan) but probably won't drop $50 for this.  $35 would be tempting for sure. 

8Dio 's referral discounts only apply to new customers for their first purchase. 

Edit: I wrote that before seeing pseudopop's post. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

4 hours ago, Fwrend said:

If anyone was planning to use my referral credits to get $15USD off on this library, please use @Fwrend's link instead. I don't need the credits, I was just looking to save people money. As Fwrend is looking to save some money on the library, if you use his link and you've never bought anything from 8Dio, you'll get $15 USD off on this or any other 8Dio library over $20 USD and he'll get $15 USD off. So it's a win/win with no downside. 

Also, pick up the 
 Adagio libraries for an additional $8 USD  ( I just did that earlier today; but frankly, I am out of space and will need a new hard drive to download it!). All you have to do is use 8Dio's chat and tell them (it always seems to be Thomas) about the deal and he'll email you a link. It's super easy and an incredible deal, IMO.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Fwrend said:

Hi @Fwrend, PM'ed you my referral.

I've just used @PavlovsCat link, so it's just nice to keep sharing 😀

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, swijaya said:

Hi @Fwrend, PM'ed you my referral.

I've just used @PavlovsCat link, so it's just nice to keep sharing 😀

@swijayaThe referral only works for people who've never purchased anything from 8Dio before.  So, Fwrend is already an 8Dio customer; he can only get a $15 USD credit if someone uses his referral link. That's the reason I asked people to use his link instead of mine if they want to save $15USD. 

4 hours ago, BTP said:

Not surprisingly, this deal continues. And the other 3 deals are back.

onelast_1944x.jpg?v=1664603123

Okay, BTP, you sure called that one. If anyone searches the forum,  when SoundPaint first opened I predicted Troels would never be able to stick to their no sales policy. Last month he sent out 15% off codes via email stating that it still wasn't  a sale and they also do the referral discounts.  Just like Waves has trained everyone never to buy their plugins at regular price, 8Dio has taught sample buyers the same lesson. 

I was about to write how I rather invest in libraries I believe I'm going to use rather than libraries I might use but I'm not sure about, and not wanting to buy things on sale just because FOMO, and because of that after much deliberation I wouldn't buy the Anthology Strings.

Then I read a few more threads over at VI-Control and listened to a some YouTube demos, and now I have 47 GB of more strings than I probably need. Dang it!

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

I will probably regret passing on this but I am trying to reign in the gas

Funny, I have been trying to the same. But this is a terrible place to be if you're trying to reign in your gas. It's as effective as trying to reign in the gas at Taco Bell. I suppose it's possible,  but it's just not likely. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

Good strings are hard to pass

As are good drums, good guitars, good basses, good pianos,  good electric pianos, good organs, good percussion, good tuned percussion, good brass and woodwinds...I just picked up Xperimenta's harmonium, so good harmoniums.... Yeah,  and I started this year thinking,  I'm not even sure if I should spend another cent on music stuff, that my playing is so poor it was time to throw in the towel. Then I was asked to do a demo for a developer and I'm back to buying stuff. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 minute ago, PavlovsCat said:

As are good drums, good guitars, good basses, good pianos,  good electric pianos, good organs, good percussion...I just picked up Xperimenta's harmonium, so good harmoniums.... Yeah,  and I started this year thinking,  I'm not even sure if I should spend another cent on music stuff, that my playing is so poor it was time to throw in the towel. Then I was asked to do a demo for a developer and I'm back to buying stuff. 

Eventually it sinks in that the listener who isn't into high fidelity and their only experience in music is listening that these don't matter.  It does only with paying clients. They probably aren't really any different than that listener but believe 2nd hand information.   People will debate all day about having the best is necessary to justify having a 40GB boomwhacker library. 

21 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Eventually it sinks in that the listener who isn't into high fidelity and their only experience in music is listening that these don't matter.  It does only with paying clients. They probably aren't really any different than that listener but believe 2nd hand information.   People will debate all day about having the best is necessary to justify having a 40GB boomwhacker library. 

It's all relative. I'm only making music for me. I'm a middle aged guy who is trying to play for a few minutes at a time due to tendonitis that stopped me from playing professionally, so I'm looking for what I believe sounds good. But for pros,  I think it's all dependent on what you're doing musically. If you're doing film and game composing, you absolutely better get top notch string libraries. Your clients expect that and audiences expect that. But for a hobbyist -- which is what I am -- it's only about my personal standards. And I have two school age kids and need to budget, so if I can spend 50 bucks and get a really beautiful sounding string library, I'm all over it. Does it matter to the maybe 50-100 people who will hear my music? Probably not a whole lot. But it matters to me. It helps me feel more inspired when I play. Back when I played professionally, I was meticulous about my playing and tuning of my drums (I was trained on piano, organ, drums nd guitar, but played drums professionally for 12 years , but played publicly since I was 4 1/2 starting with a family band playing around Chicago). When my drums were tuned to what I thought was perfection, I was inspired to play better. It greatly impacted my playing, which was always very spirted and emotional. Now, due to physical issues (tendonitis) and the fact that I haven't played or practiced in 22 years and can't realistically practice, I have zero technique. And it's really frustrating as someone who was once a perfectionist about my playing. I didn't play simple stuff like Beatles music back when much, but today, I do because I can't play anything too difficult. But if I have some low end piano or string library, I just don[t feel inspired and my playing would never share anything. If I have a sample library that inspires me -- like Noire (NI piano library), Orange Tree Samples guitars, Toontrack and AD2 drum libraries -- I feel inspired and can crank out an inspired performance that I could otherwise never do (although technically, it's still mediocre playing, but I would otherwise not even be at that level). 

So, it's completely subjective, but for me, it's all about what inspires me. For strings, a lot of times I'm inspired playing the free Pocket Blakus cello. In fact, I did the first demo I've ever done  recently, for a developer, and I used Mellotron strings with the free Pocket Blakus Cello. The version I use is for KONTAKT. I'm not sure if there is an SFZ version, but I think there might be. But I've passed over my 8Dio Deep Solo Cello and 8Dio Intimate Solo Strings cello for the freebie Blakus cello because it inspires me and it's audio quality is up there.  I suppose what I'm saying is, if you're doing music professionally, yeah, absolutely fidelity makes a huge difference and out of all of the sample libraries you could pick, string -- and guitar -- libraries are the ones where there rarely are no cheap substitutes if you're a pro. But if you're doing music just for your love of music, like most of us are, I think the only criteria that matters is what inspires you. If you're inspired by a free or cheap sample library, I think that's the best one for you. But I wouldn't conflate that with pro standards when you have clients. Even for my demo, if I used poor quality libraries, my demo wouldn't cut it -- and that's merely an unpaid demo.  The bar for paid, commissioned work is much higher.  

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

It's as effective as trying to reign in the gas at Taco Bell.

Try Taco Time. Much better food, much higher prices and so should be easier to reign in. 

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

Yeah,  and I started this year thinking,  I'm not even sure if I should spend another cent on music stuff

If this is the only thing you're dropping dollars on all the time there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're buying smart, ie good stuff that's well vetted, and using it. 

I'm a lifelong musician in life and craft and I don't consider myself a hobbyist in that, but I *have* recently given in to an expensive side hobby--woodworking--which I've always tinkered with here and there, but recently I've gone all in on it and so has my wallet chain. In just the last few months I've bought jigsaws and circular saws, expensive portable shop table, squares, and just a bunch of other tools. And just when I think I have all the tools I need, there's more tools I need. Then there's wood, and how neither Lowe's nor Home Depot can truly come through in that regard for quality hardwood, so I have to go to lumber yards. All I wanted was to build a dang footstool real quick and now here I am building a pop-up wood shop in my bathroom.

And now there's this 8dio string library that I'm about to buy after I'm done riding this since the $35 sale is still on. And I'll get the $8 deal from them too afterward. I'm just saying, if this music thing is all you're really dropping money on I think you're in good shape.. unless you're into cars or something too. 

Yeah I'm also gonna be buying up to four 4tb ssds too. You realize that's like $1600~ just for those?! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Try Taco Time. Much better food, much higher prices and so should be easier to reign in. 

If this is the only thing you're dropping dollars on all the time there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're buying smart, ie good stuff that's well vetted, and using it. 

I'm a lifelong musician in life and craft and I don't consider myself a hobbyist in that, but I *have* recently given in to an expensive side hobby--woodworking--which I've always tinkered with here and there, but recently I've gone all in on it and so has my wallet chain. In just the last few months I've bought jigsaws and circular saws, expensive portable shop table, squares, and just a bunch of other tools. And just when I think I have all the tools I need, there's more tools I need. Then there's wood, and how neither Lowe's nor Home Depot can truly come through in that regard for quality hardwood, so I have to go to lumber yards. All I wanted was to build a dang footstool real quick and now here I am building a pop-up wood shop in my bathroom.

And now there's this 8dio string library that I'm about to buy after I'm done riding this since the $35 sale is still on. And I'll get the $8 deal from them too afterward. I'm just saying, if this music thing is all you're really dropping money on I think you're in good shape.. unless you're into cars or something too. 

Yeah I'm also gonna be buying up to four 4tb ssds too. You realize that's like $1600~ just for those?! 

Umm, I have another interest that takes up a lot more money. A son going to college next year and his younger sister who is going to follow in 5 years. So I definitely have some other things to spend money on! And yeah, Taco Bell was just used as a joke. I live in Chicago and we have really good Mexican food out here. Taco Bell was fine when I was in HS -- once in a while -- but I think I've been there maybe a couple of dozen times since HS. Okay, that said, I can really go for a burrito right now.