Unexpected editing

Smirna Simeonova

Question

Hello, I have a problem, that gives me lot of extra work and frustrasion.

F.ex. today I was working on a drum midi track, also did some editing on this track.
When I was finished, I discover that all recordings in my guitar and bass track was gone.

So I have to open the edit history and try to find the point that it could have happend. Today I find a edit event I think was called called crop clipping, that took my attention. So I undo this, and I was lucy this time, the recordings was back.

This wasen't the first somethings like this happend. I think it was mainly when I did editing audio, recorded in comping mode, such problems appeared.

Maybe someone have an idea of what I doing wrong?

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the answer!
I always used to check if that ripple button is lit/activated. But maybe I forgotten that yesterday, I don't remember...
Anyway, maybe it is an good ide to lock all the tracks that is finished, to protect from unexpected suprises?

And also take regularly , a copi of the whole projekt, in the cakewalk projekt map.

Could it be a problem that I am always working offline, should I do some "offline activation" ?

Edited by Smirna Simeonova
aditional info

1 hour ago, Smirna Simeonova said:

Thanks for the answer!
I always used to check if that ripple button is lit/activated. But maybe I forgotten that yesterday, I don't remember...
Anyway, maybe it is an good ide to lock all the tracks that is finished, to protect from unexpected suprises?

And also take regularly , a copi of the whole projekt, in the cakewalk projekt map.

Could it be a problem that I am always working offline, should I do some "offline activation" ?

You should be fine working offline.  Cakewalk only needs to be re-activated once every 6 months.

If your Cakewalk PC is never online, you can use BandLab Assistant on another PC that is online to do the offline activation for you.

Instructions on how to do this are here: https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/900006210046-Activating-Cakewalk

This of course has nothing to do with activation, online or otherwise, lest anyone reading this get that idea.

For people who suffer unintended consequences during comping, I always suggest switching tools to the dedicated (Edit, Draw, Erase) ones rather than relying on the Smart Tool to do what you expect. Yes, the Smart Tool is great, yes, you can access features with it that you can't with the dedicated tools, but with that great power comes greater ability to screw things up.

You can switch instantly using the F8-9 keys, and if you hold the key down while you're doing your editing task, it will even switch back to whatever tool you were using previously.