Kontakt 7 - First Look Videos

locrian

12 hours ago, Fleer said:

I’m on KU13CE as well and not enamored by KU14CE.

Same here.

12 hours ago, Fleer said:

Upgrading to Kontakt 7 may be the way to go. 

Rather than spend $99 now for just the K7 update, why not wait until next year's summer sale where (I'm assuming!) we will get everything in KU14CE including K7 for a mere additional $100 to $150?  It doesn't seem like K7 offers any important improvements over K6, so that's my strategy.

Let's be honest here, most of us will probably eventually buy some version of Komplete and, in those scenarios, we would double-pay for K7.  Right?  😉

Edited by locrian
  • Great Idea 1

6 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Yep, unless we move to a lower K14 tier. 

Sure, that's another option, but the difference between, say K14U and K14UCE (during the summer sale) is likely to be just $50.  That's a trivial amount compared to what some would pay for just one library from other plugin companies.

Of course, my logic doesn't apply if you're sure that you only want/need/will use what's included in the lower-tier K14s.  But given that you already own K13UCE, I assumed you probably want/need/will use the additional stuff in K14UCE.

2 hours ago, locrian said:

Sure, that's another option, but the difference between, say K14U and K14UCE (during the summer sale) is likely to be just $50.  That's a trivial amount compared to what some would pay for just one library from other plugin companies.

Of course, my logic doesn't apply if you're sure that you only want/need/will use what's included in the lower-tier K14s.  But given that you already own K13UCE, I assumed you probably want/need/will use the additional stuff in K14UCE.

True, but there’s a lot in vanilla K14, including Kontakt 7 and a few of those new libraries. Not interested in another Strezov choir anyway. And upgrading to K14 will be $99 next summer, compared to $249 for K14CE. 

15 hours ago, daveiv said:

Ah, Omnia Choir looks cool, even though it's just a non-functional/non-interactive animation.

This actually makes my life easier as an aspiring Kontakt GUI developer. :)

@daveiv As an aspiring KONTAKT GUI developer, have you checked out VI's KONTAKT scripting subforum? I haven't seen it recently,  but historically,  it was pretty popular with some really talented freelance KONTAKT scripting pros (a lot of them dabble in GUI design too) and was a great place ti get help when you're learning. I remember when Evil Dragon came on the scene (an excellent KONTAKT scripting freelancer). You can find him over there. He's very well respected among KONTAKT developers and has always been super helpful to aspiring developers and those just learning KONTAKT scripting. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

True, but there’s a lot in vanilla K14, including Kontakt 7 and a few of those new libraries. Not interested in another Strezov choir anyway. And upgrading to K14 will be $99 next summer, compared to $249 for K14CE. 

Agreed.  K14 is a great value.

But, for me, getting the additional content that comes with K14U/K14UCE for just another $100/$150 is worth it.  Especially the ones in bold.

ACTION STRINGS 2
ASHLIGHT
CHOIR: OMNIA  (K14UCE)
EAST ASIA
LORES  (K14UCE)
PIANO COLORS
SEQUIS
SESSION GUITARIST - ELECTRIC VINTAGE
SESSION GUITARIST - PICKED NYLON

Yeah, KU14 does look good, got to admit. But it’s another $100, doubling the outlay. I’m totally happy with OrangeTreeSamples guitar-wise. And I don’t need any more of the same Action Strings. So I would be paying a C-note for Ashlight, Piano Colors and Sequis. These are quite specific libraries. Still a tall order in my book. Plus another fifty for Lores and the choir. 

On 9/30/2022 at 11:13 AM, Carl Ewing said:

You can tell they are catering this 7 update to people who never do much else other than click on library defaults. See pretty picture, click on instrument you like and move along.

As just such a user (Player only), I appreciate this. The library thumbnails with patch list browser on the right (complete with single-click auditioning!) will make KP7 much more of a go-to. I have some libraries that I'll probably only now hear all of their presets for the first time due to the clunkiness of browsing the old interface.

I've always loved the sounds and functionality built into the Kontakt libraries I've downloaded, but detested the crud I had to crawl through in order to just call them up. This is brilliant. It even has a way to "favorite" presets in the library view.

I love to play fine acoustic pianos and guitars have no interest in making them. Same with Kontakt instruments.

For the more committed users, I'll send out hope that they are also in the process of making improvements to the under the hood UI in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

As just such a user (Player only), I appreciate this. The library thumbnails with patch list browser on the right (complete with single-click auditioning!) will make KP7 much more of a go-to. I have some libraries that I'll probably only now hear all of their presets for the first time due to the clunkiness of browsing the old interface.

I've always loved the sounds and functionality built into the Kontakt libraries I've downloaded, but detested the crud I had to crawl through in order to just call them up. This is brilliant. It even has a way to "favorite" presets in the library view.

I love to play fine acoustic pianos and guitars have no interest in making them. Same with Kontakt instruments.

For the more committed users, I'll send out hope that they are also in the process of making improvements to the under the hood UI in the near future.

This ^^

In my brief overview, I didn't mention the ability to 'favorite' presets in the thumbnail view, which is a very nice little detail - especially when you've got a lot of non-Player libraries with complex folder and patch structures. 

Edited by Amicus717
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

I didn't mention the abitlity to 'favorite' presets in the thumbnail view, which is a very nice little detail - especially when you've got a lot of non-Player libraries with complex folder and patch structures. 

How easy is it to include non-Player libraries in the new browser view?

1 minute ago, abacab said:

How easy is it to include non-Player libraries in the new browser view?

Very easy - click on the gear icon on the bottom left of the thumbnail view, and select the folder you want to add.

The one thing you can't do with non-Player libraries is use the new tagging system to sort them -- "bowed strings" or whatever. But you can favorite them, so the ones you use regularly can be made very easy to find. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

Very easy - click on the gear icon on the bottom left of the thumbnail view, and select the folder you want to add.

Sounds about perfect! Will patiently wait for a sale on the K7 upgrades!

As was previously described, having to crawl through the K6 crud to find anything is a pain.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:15 PM, PavlovsCat said:

@daveiv As an aspiring KONTAKT GUI developer, have you checked out VI's KONTAKT scripting subforum? I haven't seen it recently,  but historically,  it was pretty popular with some really talented freelance KONTAKT scripting pros (a lot of them dabble in GUI design too) and was a great place ti get help when you're learning. I remember when Evil Dragon came on the scene (an excellent KONTAKT scripting freelancer). You can find him over there. He's very well respected among KONTAKT developers and has always been super helpful to aspiring developers and those just learning KONTAKT scripting. 

I'm aware of VI-CONTROL, but I haven't spent enough time there to see if it's a healthy community, or somewhere toxic like KVR, Gearslutz. I can only tolerate so much negativity.

Maybe we should start a development forum here, don't you think? :)

8 hours ago, daveiv said:

I'm aware of VI-CONTROL, but I haven't spent enough time there to see if it's a healthy community, or somewhere toxic like KVR, Gearslutz. I can only tolerate so much negativity.

Maybe we should start a development forum here, don't you think? :)

In my experience,  VI is a mixed bag. But, at least several years ago when I spent more time at VI Control the KONTAKT developer subforum seemed fairly active and a couple of developers I know referenced it from time to time. A subforum here? Sure, why not. Of course,  I'm not a developer,  so I wouldn't participate,  but why not? But if you want a community that's well established with some very well respected KONTAKT developers,  I think VI's worth a look.