7950x in hand

Jim Roseberry

AMD's Ryzen 7xxx series has been released.

• Base: 4.5Ghz
  • Turbo: 5.7GHz
  • 16 cores
  • 32 processing threads

TDP is listed at 170w

Absolutely needs robust cooling (95 degrees C)

You can get it to run quiet... but it's definitely more complex than something like a 12700k.

Audio specific details to follow.

Want to see numbers compared to M1 Max?   😁

• Like 1

Intel Announces 13th Gen Processors: Core i9 13900K Faster, More Cores Than Ryzen 9 7950X (forbes.com) https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2022/09/27/intel-announces-13th-gen-processors-core-i9-13900k-faster-more-cores-than-ryzen-9-7950x/?sh=da65d16328db

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Review | PCMag  https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-7950x

Edited by Glenn Stanton

I'm aware of the 13900k (been running both a 12900k and 12900ks for a good while).

13900k adds eight more efficient cores... and increases clock-speed to 5.8GHz for performance cores... and 4.3GHz for efficient cores.

Both the 13900k and 7950x have 32 processing threads.

On paper, one would expect the 13900k to leapfrog the 7950x (as 12900k leapfrogged the 5950x)... but it's speculation until we can run audio specific tests.

I would have liked to see 8 additional performance cores... instead of 8 additional efficient cores.

With the 7950x, AMD seems to have achieved significantly higher all-core clock-speed (vs the 5950x).

That kind of leaves the door open to doubt... as the 7950x has 16 full-performance cores... with max turbo of 5.7GHz.

The PC Mag article mention's price being ~$100 less than the 7950x.

That's not likely... because the current 12900ks is $700 (same cost as the 7950x).

Synthetic benchmarks show the 7950x besting the 12900ks in most scenarios.  

I'm most interested in the absolute limits of ultra low latency audio performance.

In that regard, there's not a huge difference between the 5950x, 12900k, and 12900ks.

Audio specifics to come...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13900k Base Clock:

• Performance Cores = 3GHz
  • Efficient Cores = 2.2GHz

13900k Max Turbo:

• Performance Cores = 5.8GHz
  • Efficient Cores = 4.3GHz

7950x Base Clock = 4.5GHz (across all 16 cores)

7950x Max Turbo = 5.7GHz  (this is the X-Factor)

ie: If the 7950x can achieve Max Turbo across 8+ cores, that's going to be hard to beat.

Edited by Jim Roseberry

46 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

one thing i noticed in the reviews - heat. the 7950X without turbo was running near 95°C and recommended much larger cooling capability... intel product also running hot and thus both likely getting temperature throttled.

The 7950x will run at 95 degrees C.

Note that with proper cooling, it will not thermal-throttle under load.

I'd consider quality 360mm water-cooler a minimum.

It is a bit alarming compared to previous designs/thermals.

5950x also runs "hot"... but with proper cooling won't thermal-throttle.

The 12900ks runs well with quality 280mm water-cooler.

I'd expect the 13900ks/s to need a quality 360mm water-cooler (or better).

With 16+ core "workstation" type CPUs, air-cooling (even the Noctua D15) just isn't up to the task.

10980xe with D15 with thermal-throttle under significant load.  I've tested/verified.

There are folks on YouTube who've built Threadripper based machines using the D15.

Runs fine at idle and under light loads...  Guaranteed to thermal-throttle under significant load (defeats the whole purpose)

I've done many  prototype Threadripper builds trying to get noise under control.

With 280w TDP and active-cooled chipsets... forget it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

no direct experience yet, but have concerns with the increase in TDP.  Proper cooling has become a significant factor for system configuration, reliability and ambient noise. upgrade plans are on pause atm.

a system dashboard/utility tracking cpu load and clock speed vs temps with integrated fan performance would be really helpful.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:18 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

The 7950x will run at 95 degrees C.

Note that with proper cooling, it will not thermal-throttle under load.

I'd consider quality 360mm water-cooler a minimum.

It is a bit alarming compared to previous designs/thermals.

5950x also runs "hot"... but with proper cooling won't thermal-throttle.

The 12900ks runs well with quality 280mm water-cooler.

I'd expect the 13900ks/s to need a quality 360mm water-cooler (or better).

With 16+ core "workstation" type CPUs, air-cooling (even the Noctua D15) just isn't up to the task.

10980xe with D15 with thermal-throttle under significant load.  I've tested/verified.

There are folks on YouTube who've built Threadripper based machines using the D15.

Runs fine at idle and under light loads...  Guaranteed to thermal-throttle under significant load (defeats the whole purpose)

I've done many  prototype Threadripper builds trying to get noise under control.

With 280w TDP and active-cooled chipsets... forget it

It seems that the new Ryzen series is running hot by design. I read about tests where cpu performance stays the same, water or air cooled. So apparently the 95C' is nothing to worry about and doesn't produce throttling like older generations. If you want to keep it cooler, perhaps undervolting the cpu might give the most efficient results.

Anyway, this all feels a bit odd but let's see how it actually turns out and especially how the new Ryzens perform with low latency audio.

3 hours ago, jackson white said:

thx, thought your initial reference was to a generic utility.

for me, it's one of the few tools that gets installed before any software to verify the the machine configuration and make sure things like USB ports etc are all stacked correctly to avoid interrupts (for example) on my audio I/O, etc.

7950x early low-latency audio performance:

In short, impressive.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2 with Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core

• Able to run Helix Native (substantial patch) at less than 1ms total round-trip latency (96k using a 24-sample ASIO buffer size)
  • Able to run Tonex at ~0.5ms total round-trip latency (96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size)

Completely glitch-free... (tested playing for hours)

• Like 3