Feature Request - Pro Channel EQ Updates Needed

Xel Ohh

The Pro Channel EQ is a pretty good EQ but it needs some updates to make it better. 

1.Solo frequency bands (This will make it so much easier to hear what you need to eq in or out)
2.Brick wall EQ Slope for low and high cuts (The best way to completely cut off a frequency of a  sound that you want to eliminate the 48 curve is cool but doesn't get everything and seeing that you can only use one EQ you have to use another third party EQ to do this action like Ozone or Fab Filter )
3.The option to add more eq bands ( Some times I need more bands when doing subtractive EQ and run out of bands before I can finish removing what needs to be taken away and once again you only get one EQ to do this)
4.More than one EQ on a Pro Channel (requested before but hey why not ask again)

I think these updates to the EQ will help alot of people out and they wont always have to reach out for third party EQ's to do these features.

Please +1 the request for the Bakers to take a look at adding these things to the EQ and let us know if there is anything that you would like to add to the EQ.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 6

+1
I fully support the proposal of Xel Ohh! It would also be very nice to be able to add more than one instance of the same module to the Pro Channel, for example, two EQs, one - before the compressor (cut-off), and the second - after the compressor for fine EQ of the track. Or two identical compressors or limiters for sequential compression or limiting. I don't think this is a difficult task, and the payoff for users would be huge!

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 2:55 PM, Xel Ohh said:

Ok... Cool... I have never heard or seen that before... Not sure how I would use drive on an EQ... Is there an EQ that you use that has a drive knob?

What? Dude, you're missing out big time on your 808's and vocals with this feature. 

Download buy the W2395c EQ by Fuse Audio Labs. 

Theres the Scheps 73 EQ and SonEQ by Sonimus as well. Just to mention a few. Theres great freebies too with this built-in. 

You get compressors with a built-in drive knob as well. 

Edited by Will.

15 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I'm curious, what would that achieve over using the drive knob on the console emulation ProChannel plugin? Or the ProChannel Tube plugin?

I can give you a lot of reasons. So i will start by saying - it affects the FX bin. 

In the world of creativity - you only want have a little bit of drive on the Compressor or only the EQ because you want your compressor clean or an uncolored EQ sound. This is where using a compressor with a built-in drive or an EQ with a built-in drive comes handy as this only affects the compressor an not the entire chain. 

It is most commonly used in HIPHOP, EDM, Heavy Metal and certain Rock styles especially where the use of "Autotune" on vocals and heavy hitting 808's are prominent. 

Edited by Will.

Personally I would rather the Dev Team work on the actual Cakewalk App itself because there are a gazillion FX plugins out there of all shapes , sizes and budgets. 

I don't use the Pro Channel myself as my workflow pre-dates the Pro Channels existence  and I'm faster with my go to plugins but if you want more Pro Channel Functionality you can host 3rd party plugins within it right ?  They don't have to be specific Cakewalk ones.  

So I would advocate for that  - and if that doesn't work well enough ( which IDK as I've never tried it ) then maybe ask the Devs to make the PC hosting of 3rd party plugins even better.

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Personally I would rather the Dev Team work on the actual Cakewalk App itself because there are a gazillion FX plugins out there of all shapes , sizes and budgets. 

I don't use the Pro Channel myself as my workflow pre-dates the Pro Channels existence  and I'm faster with my go to plugins but if you want more Pro Channel Functionality you can host 3rd party plugins within it right ?  They don't have to be specific Cakewalk ones.  

This is working on the app itself it's part of the big picture for Cakewalk. You might not use the Pro channel but many of us do... And to reach for third party plugins all the time is cool but it's taxing on the CPU at times with certain plugins... the Pro channel is one of the reasons I still use Cakewalk and the Arranger without these 2 things right now I would leave cakewalk for good and not look back. I do urban music mostly and to not have a built in sampler is a pain in my side for Cakewalk especially since the Bandlab Online App has one but we can't get one for Cakewalk it just frustrates me to no end... No matter how many request come in for this feature. The features I am asking for they have done before on the stand alone eqs they have had for years all I'm asking is for them to implement those things in what we currently have will they do it probably not but this is what request are for so they know what we want.

I don't think people understand what feature request is sometimes on this forum.. the Bakers put this here to see what we want to add to the DAW there are many things that need to be done but the things I am asking for will help everyone be more efficient and faster with mixing and mastering. There have been countless times that others and I have posted what we want as a request and people say the Bakers don't need to focus on that I don't get it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xel Ohh said:

This is working on the app itself it's part of the big picture for Cakewalk.

Is it though ?  - Really they are just 3rd party plugins licensed for inclusion in Cakewalk  , I've nothing against them being improved but not at the expense of other more important things. They are great for those who don't want to spend any more - you can do a whole mix with them no problem but they are easily replaced with other 3rd party options for those that need better. 

And to reach for third party plugins all the time is cool but it's taxing on the CPU at times with certain plugins.

I remember when I had to upgrade from a 486DX4 100mhz to a Pentium 95  just so I could run a single instance of Antares Autotune

I do urban music mostly and to not have a built in sampler is a pain in my side for Cakewalk especially since the Bandlab Online App has one but we can't get one for Cakewalk it just frustrates me to no end...

I sometimes have to make urban music as well -  had some on the NBA channel this year iirc but it's just one of many genres I make  for TV music libraries.

100% agree we are desperate for a proper sample based workflow and I would much rather Noel and his  team use their talents to work on much needed features like a Sampler and a Chord Track than give us a slightly more functional Pro Channel EQ - I think that would be a waste of the Bakers time and energy. 

I don't think people understand what feature request is sometimes on this forum.. the Bakers put this here to see what we want to add to the DAW there are many things that need to be done but the things I am asking for will help everyone be more efficient and faster with mixing and mastering. There have been countless times that others and I have posted what we want as a request and people say the Bakers don't need to focus on that I don't get it. 

I think they do understand but they have different perspectives. What one person thinks is a good idea may not be of concern to others depending how they use the DAW. 

Most of the requests that get shot down are ones that have existing solutions or very marginal gains for the effort needed. Some are the result of very unique workflows that very few would benefit from. 

I'm not saying that nobody would benefit from improved PC plugins and I'm not against it per se but I believe the ones we have are perfectly fit for purpose and the folks that outgrow them would be inclined to pay for something more specialized. 

I just think if there are limited resources that can be put into the overall development of the platform then it's just near the bottom of a very long list compared to other requests. ( like a sampler )  

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

@Mark Morgon-Shaw I totally agree with the sampler... It's so crazy to me that we haven't gotten one yet and it doesn't seem like we will at this rate... Lol... I do see alot of these request that you are talking about that currently have solutions... This is just a request not a solution to anything that is needed... I do think it's a great idea that will help us out it can be at the bottom of the list as long as it's on there ...😂😂

Im starting to dip my toe into sync as well how long have you been doing it?

34 minutes ago, Xel Ohh said:

Im starting to dip my toe into sync as well how long have you been doing it?

Started in 2016 - tough gig ! You have to be very versatile. I'm in  10 different Libraries, 550 tracks, over 1k broadcasts deep now in about 350 shows...really makes you learn the DAW when you make that much music .

I am just working on Medieval style track for an album now. Never done one before.  Last week it was Tension Underscore, then before that I was doing positive guitar stuff and I started the month of doing Old Skool Breakbeat type stuff but we're not allowed to use samples so you have to kinda make it sound like you sampled stuff you actually played 😆 

4 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Started in 2016 - tough gig ! You have to be very versatile. I'm in  10 different Libraries, 550 tracks, over 1k broadcasts deep now in about 350 shows...really makes you learn the DAW when you make that much music .

😆

That sounds awesome I'm in 4 libraries right now just got signed to a new one recently. Learning the ropes myself got a couple of placements already on about 6 different shows. So far I'm enjoying it but I hate the waiting for approved tracks and placements .. but it's cool to hear your song on a show... That's one of the reasons I like the Arranger and the new export option that cakewalk has done. Good luck on that medieval track that you're working on..😀