Is "Cronus" - V Vocal plugin no longer supported ?

noynekker

9 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

What was the error code regsvr32 displayed? 

Assuming that you still care about getting VV going. Melodyne is, of course, far superior.

Although one caveat applies to both of them: don't save a project mid-edit. 

The error code says "The module "C:\Program" failed to load,

and "make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files"

"The specified module could not be found"

I really only want VVocal to be able load up old projects, of which I have many, there are still remnants of it that never got rendered, I've always left things un-rendered, probably not the best way to leave projects.

Ergonomically speaking, I agree. V-V was very quick and easy to use. When I say Melodyne is superior, I am mainly referring to its relative lack of artifacts, even when the user does something dumb. V-V was never very forgiving if you didn't play by its rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

scook really knows all about this and hopefully will chime in. If I recall it started in Sonar 8.5 and continues in several of the X versions. So if you have any of these versions you can install only the plugins you want instead of the whole program. If you used it in the past then you should be fine. You can also do a search for V-vocal in this forum we had a lengthy discussion and scook filled in some blanks for a lot of us

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Running CbB on an old W10 machine where I have X1 installed. V-vocal works perfectly in X1 but is nowhere to be found in CbB- not as a plugin or region FX. I tried reregistering the dlls but no joy. Anybody know what I'm missing?

11 minutes ago, mikea said:

Running CbB on an old W10 machine where I have X1 installed. V-vocal works perfectly in X1 but is nowhere to be found in CbB- not as a plugin or region FX. I tried reregistering the dlls but no joy. Anybody know what I'm missing?

Make sure the "cronus.dll" is in the VST scan path / folder for CbB,  in preferences, so it can find it.

12 minutes ago, noynekker said:
27 minutes ago, mikea said:

Make sure the "cronus.dll" is in the VST scan path / folder for CbB,  in preferences, so it can find it.

V-Vocal is DX format. 

DX plug-ins bundled with Cakewalk products are automatically registered at install time.

Do NOT add the path to the cronus.dll or any other DX format plug-ins to your VST scan path. 

Having the scanner search paths of non-VST dlls wastes time and can cause problems for the scanner.

Interesting...

I just tried to load VV here... It crashes Cake every time. First time I've tried it on this machine. So it did get installed along with X1/2/3/Plat but the cronus.dll keeps crashing on win10. It was working fine on win8.1 <sigh>.... So far I must say I've been rather unhappy moving from 8.1 to 10... surprising with all the 8.1 bad talk...

I was a hard core VV supporter until relatively recent time... It seems they each have their strengths and weaknesses but the more I've used Melodyne, the less I think about needing VV (obviously).

Edit: I should add that I had to upgrade Melodyne to Studio before I felt this way along with a lot of hours editing!

Edited by Keni

4 minutes ago, scook said:

V-Vocal is DX format. 

DX plug-ins bundled with Cakewalk products are automatically registered at install time.

Do NOT add the path to the cronus.dll or any other DX format plug-ins to your VST scan path. 

Having the scanner search paths of non-VST dlls wastes time and can cause problems for the scanner.

Hi scook . . . we always defer to your expertise, thanks for the DX correction, can you offer a solution for this most recent post here ?  If he has X1 installed, shouldn't the CbB install migrate everything ?

Probably, AFAIK nothing has changed since day 1 WRT how CbB handies legacy installs.

I don't recall ever putting X1 on a Win10 machine.

My last Win10 build started with 

• a minimal install of X2 applying the X2a patch to get the last version of 64bit V-Vocal available
  • a full install of X3
  • a full install of Platinum
  • a full install of CbB 

And finished by adding some legacy plug-ins using the appropriate version of SONAR's advanced install option. 

Regarding CbB crashing, here are a couple of posts from Frequently Asked Questions

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, scook said:

Probably, AFAIK nothing has changed since day 1 WRT how CbB handies legacy installs.

• a minimal install of X2 applying the X2a patch to get the last version of 64bit V-Vocal available
  • a full install of X3
  • a full install of CbB 

And finished by adding some legacy plug-ins using the appropriate version of SONAR's advanced install option. 

Regarding CbB crashing, here are a couple of posts from Frequently Asked Questions

That's a thought...

I tried, but...

I looked to see if there's an available X2a patch, but couldn't find so I would think with as much time as existed from X2 release to Cakewalk leaving Gibson's rule that they would have incorporated that into the available final/only X2 version available long ago?

So I'm not sure why cronus.dll is crashing here, but that's ended my access to VV... (It is still working on my older DAW with win8.1)

10 hours ago, scook said:

• a full install of X3
  • a full install of CbB 

Nice surprise!

Thanks for the lead once again scook!

I re-installed the re-distributable on the chance and voila! VV is once again working for me. A good secure feeling. Thanks for starting my day nicely again!

32 minutes ago, Keni said:

I looked to see if there's an available X2a patch, but couldn't find so I would think with as much time as existed from X2 release to Cakewalk leaving Gibson's rule that they would have incorporated that into the available final/only X2 version available long ago?

AFAIK, all the updates are still available on the old Cakewalk website through the knowledge base just like they have always been.

The X2a update is definitely there  and was never applied to the production X2 installer. Rolling updates were introduced after X3.

IOW, ALL Cakewalk products without a CCC aware installers need to have ALL updates manually applied for the DAW and it's content to be at their most recent version. The most recent installers shown in the CCC are the latest fully patched installers for those products.

• Thanks 1