speaker

2 hours ago, martins said:

you guys recomande me this set M audio B5xa deluxe

or

this one=BEHRINGER TRUTH B2031

thx

martin

I would not recommend either of those.

What is your maximum budget? Look for JBL's in that price range. You will get a better bang for your buck with JBL's

I would pass on the behringers, that model has those very brassy sounding tweeters, everything sounded metallic to me, i had them for a while. I don't know about the M-audio's though, they don't have front facing ports.

It depends on your current monitoring environment, big or small room, how far from the wall you can put them and whether you have the physical space to put them in. The 8 inch monitors are pretty big. If they have to be close to a wall (which is normally the case) and you have a small/average bedroom, and you have a smaller physical space to put them in, 5-6 inch front ported monitors will probably suit.

I've got some gen3 5 inch KRK Rokits, I quite like them and they have to work in different environments. You can hear the bass, they also have front ports and both high and low adjustments on the back. I can usually set them up ok wherever I am. I only ever use them at low volumes and they do that well.

It's nice to have monitors because you don't want to be wearing headphones all the time but the truth is, unless your in a good acoustic environment for your monitors then you are probably better off using 2 or 3 pairs of headphones both to set up and mix and then use the monitors as reference.

I also have 4 pairs of headphones at the moment as well and I find I mainly use those for setting up sounds etc.

HD 280 Pro - Best isolation of any studio headphone i've heard, great for getting a good sound from your acoustic guitar and separating harmonies but highs just a touch harsh, a bit clampy and weird looking on your head

HD 380 Pro - Really comfortable to wear for long periods and great for vocals and separating out midrange instruments, they look pretty cool as well.

ATH-M50X - cups are a bit small, just touch top and bottom of my ears, i don't have particularly big ears, they make everything sound good but not that accurate on midrange instruments. Brilliant for hearing drums and bass, toms, kicks, can hear really well, great for general listening and when your first putting stuff together and don't want to be bothered that much about what things sound like.

HD 598 - very light and comfortable, good for general mixing and vocal foldback monitors when there is no click involved, I don't care about bleed from instruments! I seem to be using these a bit more for general listening. They certainly seem more sensitive to anything that is not mixed right. Also great for identifying stereo placement.

I was going to choose between these headphones but instead have decided to keep them and get a headphone bag to put them all in.

Not a headphone thread I know, but you might find them more useful than monitors if you are in a bad acoustic environment or cannot make too much noise.

Edited by Tezza

2 hours ago, martins said:

what about this one=JBL LSR308 ?

They're not bad. I own a set of those and a set of KRK's I use during mixing.

The TRUTH B2031 aren't that bad, the M Audio ones though are prone to problems and just sound like garbage.

My friend had a pair of the TRUTH B2031 hanging around and leant them to me while I was in transition. They weren't bad. They were almost on par with the LSR308's

I have JBL LSR308's. I also have Tannoy Reveal 8D's  which are very good. I own a pair of  MAudio BX5's as well.  The Maudio are fine speakers but the low end rolls off at about 55hz. Fine for general playback for a compact - but I wouldn't recommend for critical tracking or mixing. The LSR 308's are very good for general playback - especially for general monitoring when composing , the Waveguide has an enormously wide field and they're great when you're moving around and changing positions for things like tracking in a home studio. They're very good for the dollar. The Tannoys are the best for critical mixing - they're smooth, efficient and detailed.  It may also depend on how much space you have for monitors and room dimensions.  300.00 for a set of used JBL308's would be money well spent - you might be able to find them new for a little more than that price.

• Like 1

I've got a pair of 2031As here. They're built into sofits and sound pretty good with how they're installed and the balanced room taken into consideration.

However, I've already had one set fail on me after a few years and the second set are starting to show some of the same symptoms.

For anyone here still after something in the short-term that can potentially sound really good depending on how they're installed in your space, they're great. But as a long-term investment, I'd avoid them.

Edited by Lord Tim

On 7/10/2019 at 10:37 AM, Lord Tim said:

I've got a pair of 2031As here. They're built into sofits and sound pretty good with how they're installed and the balanced room taken into consideration.

However, I've already had one set fail on me after a few years and the second set are starting to show some of the same symptoms.

For anyone here still after something in the short-term that can potentially sound really good depending on how they're installed in your space, they're great. But as a long-term investment, I'd avoid them.

I've had my 2030A's since 2005 (I went for the 2030A's rather than the 2031A because my studio is so small). Luckily I've never had an issue with them.

One thing I would say about the TRUTH's is that they really need to be mounted well away from the wall. At 3" from the wall, they still sounded fine but, I had loads of problems with my bass being practically non-existent in mixes due to them using the wall to amplify the bass frequencies. 

To be honest, my choice at the time was the Tannoy Reveal Active's. I tried to get a set from a friend's dad who worked for Tascam, but he advised against them as they were all being recalled due to a design flaw, and told me to wait for the new model. I was a bit impatient in those days....

Nowadays though, there are obviously better monitors around within that price range. The KRK's would definitely be on my list of those to check out.

I know the decision was made, but wanted to chime in that I did my homework with my ears years ago. We used the M-Audio BX5's at work and they were transparent, and clean and sounded great. I ended up buying a pair of the BX5 Carbons and still use them in my studio today.

I hope your KRK's arrive in good condition. When I used to work in pro-audio at GC, we would get DOA KRK's with each shipment. It was their boxing we think. I do like the KRK's and would get a pair myself, but I think seeing so many arrive DOA put a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe now that KRK is owned by Gibson, they figured out how to ship them properly. Again, it was years ago when I was at GC.

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

One thing I would say about the TRUTH's is that they really need to be mounted well away from the wall. At 3" from the wall, they still sounded fine but, I had loads of problems with my bass being practically non-existent in mixes due to them using the wall to amplify the bass frequencies. 

Absolutely THIS.  As I said, mine are in soffits with tuned wall cavities, etc. and they sound great. Out in the open... yeah, I've been with people who have had them just sit on a desk, and they were really hit and miss with both frequencies and image smearing. In some cases, like you said, they sounded fine, but you just couldn't really trust what you were hearing.

You definitely lucked out with the longevity of them though. I actually think a lot of Behringer gear isn't really bad at all, sound wise - especially for the price. But the build quality is the thing that lets it down. You can luck out on having something be a workhorse for years, but then the next guy gets the same item and it fails in a few months.

Edited by Lord Tim
clearly can't spell Behringer today