FREE KONTAKT Excellent Quality Acoustic Drum Kit - DS Drum RCS Essentials

PavlovsCat

13 minutes ago, Last Call said:

My first downvote ever here, I am so improving, thanks! 😂🤣😅

I don't care that you don't like the Beatles - I do care that you say

13 minutes ago, Last Call said:

( to me they sound like very very very old music and it gives me aids).

classy 

1 hour ago, Last Call said:

Thanks for taking the time to downvote me then telling me why.
You do care that I say what? That I don't like them?
"classy ", man, is just an expression, don't take it to heart man.

I am just expressing that I really really really don't like them.

Whatever, now I know why Larry called it quits, lol.

You flagged that I'd given you a thumbs down.  You didn't seem to understand why, so I spelt it out.

Unlike you, I don't find AIDS particularly funny - and I really don't care if it's "just an expression", maybe if you are 12 years old it's 'cool' ?

And you actually don't know why Larry "called it quits" as he had more respect for other people.  Either way I'm not sure I find your crass contribution quite as valuable as his input.

Rest assured I won't take it to heart.

LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Last Call said:

Well, to me, a song is lyrics and melody, so if it's your melody (no matter the chord progression, which we know are used on zillions of songs), then it's your song (medley in this case).
At 1:28 a guitar melody starts, I love it. And the whole solo is very nice (did you play it? Or just composed it?
I love guitar btw.

There is a story behind me recording the song. It was recorded very late at night, and was just an impromptu version  of a song I wrote when I was a kid after I vamped on the "Dear Boy" chords. I didn't even write down the chords,  so when I did  some additional tracks the next day,  I had to figure out what chords I played. But I was having a buch of MIDI problems  at the time-- I later learned were due to memory/space issues (hard drive). For example, the piano sustain pedal wasn't working, so I was playing the piano  part without it (and I'm not fluent at editing MIDI, so that's just the way it is in the final mix). The lead guitar part had a bunch of notes that sounded slightly out of tune,  as if the mod wheel was slightly up. I couldn't figure out how to edit any of that and I asked Greg, the CEO/Founder of Orange Tree Samples if he wouldn't mind looking into it.

Greg offered to look at the MIDI and there were some weird things going on. I offered that if he wanted to redo my guitar parts, I'd love that (Greg is a killer multi-instrumentalist). So he ended up redoing a bunch, if not all of the lead parts, playing the identical parts but adding some harmonies and he added some rhythm guitar arpeggios.  So, this ended up being a collaboration,  the second time we've worked together on a song (last year Greg played bass guitar on my cover of John Lennon's "Isolation" -- he played a physical bass guitar and I played the rest of the parts and sang). 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Last Call said:

Thanks for taking the time to downvote me then telling me why.
You do care that I say what? That I don't like them?
"classy ", man, is just an expression, don't take it to heart man.

I am just expressing that I really really really don't like them.

Whatever, now I know why Larry called it quits, lol.

I realize that you probably didn't mean any harm when you made a reference to AIDS, using it as a joke. I saw your remark and frankly, I wasn't sure if I was going to mention it or ignore it. But after your exchange with Simon, I think it's best to try to shed some light on why the remark is problematic.  Please understand that my intent isn't to try and make you feel bad or hurl an insult at you, my desire is that you may see how others view your AIDS remark, which I hope will result in your better understanding Simon and his reaction. 

So a short, true story. 

I've lost two people in my life to AIDS. One of them was my only close extended family member, my cousin, I'll just use his first initial, R.  R was a year older than me. As kids, he was like a brother. We went on vacations together. He even took up the drums after I did. We shared a devout love of the music of Led  Zeppelin from an early age. When he was around 30 he was diagnosed with full blown AIDS and we once again became close. He only lived around a year after being diagnosed. The stigma around AIDS (often callously referred to as "the gay man's disease") was so strong and R was a closeted bi-sexual man and his parents, my aunt and uncle -- though they were not religious (where there was often condemnation against LGBTQ people and often made cruel remarks that AIDS was God's punishment ), they held far political ideological views that were and still are extremely  intolerant and condemning  of LGBTQ people. Consequently, they were unaccepting of my cousin's sexual orientation and the fact that he had AIDS to the point where they concocted a lie they persuaded him to use, that he was dying of cancer. Consequently, he spent the last months of his life in the AIDS section of the hospital, with only a small amount of visitors -- me among them --as he was in the AIDS section of the hospital and his parents didn't want people to find out that he had AIDS and not cancer, so they blocked his friends from knowing what hospital he was at, saying that he wanted his privacy. So the stigma around AIDS was that great that he was kept from his friends in his final months of his life. So someone mocking AIDS as an illness and AIDS victims definitely doesn't sit well with me. There has been a lot of hate and intolerance to those with AIDS -- and there's definitely a lot more to it in terms of stigma and intolerance than say making a joke about about cancer. But until I saw Simon's response, I wasn't going to address it. 

I realize that you were just making a joke that seemed funny to you and that -- hopefully-- you weren't considering the insensitivity of your remark. But to people whose lives have been impacted by the disease or even those who merely have empathy towards others who've dealt with this illness, mocking that disease and what those who have it  is indefensibly cruel and unnecessary. It's just my opinion, but I try my best in life to show empathy to others. There have been times in my life where I have been unintentionally insensitive to others. The best I can do in those times is to step back, try and better understand their perspective and let them know I'm sorry, that my intent is not to be hurtful to them. Hopefully, now that I've shared a little of my personal life you can better understand why Simon and others might have an issue with your AIDS joke. It doesn't have anything to do with Larry or why Larry stopped posting here. 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Woods said:

I realize that you probably didn't mean any harm when you made a reference to AIDS, using it as a joke. I saw your remark and frankly, I wasn't sure if I was going to mention it or ignore it. But after your exchange with Simon, I think it's best to try to shed some light on why the remark is problematic.  Please understand that my intent isn't to try and make you feel bad or hurl an insult at you, my desire is that you may see how others view your AIDS remark, which I hope will result in your better understanding Simon and his reaction. 

So a short, true story. 

I've lost two people in my life to AIDS. One of them was my only close extended family member, my cousin, I'll just use his first initial, R.  R was a year older than me. As kids, he was like a brother. We went on vacations together. He even took up the drums after I did. We shared a devout love of the music of Led  Zeppelin from an early age. When he was around 30 he was diagnosed with full blown AIDS and we once again became close. He only lived around a year after being diagnosed. The stigma around AIDS (often referred to as "the gay man's disease) was so strong and R was a closeted bi-sexual man and his parents, my aunt and uncle -- they were completely non-religious, but held to a far political ideology that was and still is very intolerant of LGBTQ people, and consequently, they were unaccepting of my cousin's sexual orientation and the fact that he had AIDS and concocted a lie they persuaded him to use, that he was dying of cancer. Consequently, he spent the last months of his life in the AIDS section of the hospital, with only a small amount of visitors -- me among them --as he was in the AIDS section of the hospital and his parents didn't want people to find out that he had AIDS and not cancer, so they blocked his friends from knowing what hospital he was at, saying that he wanted his privacy. So the stigma around AIDS was that great that he was kept from his friends in his final months of his life. So someone mocking AIDS as an illness and AIDS victims definitely doesn't sit well with me. But until I saw Simon's response, I wasn't going to address it. 

I realize that you were just making a joke that seemed funny to you and that -- hopefully-- you weren't considering the insensitivity of your remark. But to people whose lives have been impacted by the disease, mocking that disease and what those who have it  is just plain indefensibly cruel. It's just my opinion, but I try my best in life to show empathy to others. There have been times in my life where I have been unintentionally insensitive to others. The best I can do in those times is to step back, try and better understand their perspective and let them know I'm sorry, that my intent is not to be hurtful to them. Hopefully, now that I've shared a little of my personal life you can better understand why Simon and others might have an issue with your AIDS joke. It doesn't have anything to do with Larry or why Larry stopped posting here. 

Man, I like you so much! 🥰

Even though I get your point, and that you were so polite with your statement, I feel on the internet people take stuff too seriously, instead of what, at least the intention of a comment is (also have noticed people focus on the negative). Specially people from the US. (and please don't take this as offensive, just making clear my perception, where I live we call a black guy, well, Black, and no one makes a fuss about it, and in some regions people call Black other guys that aren't, sometimes is with love, we call anyone fat/thin (and they aren't), with love, specially people that are married the wife calls his husband fat/thin, but with love, as if it were a positive adjective, in fact is used as a sustantive).

Nevertheless, I will try to say from now on "I am allergic to the Beatles".

(Also I really don't come here to make fun out of anyone, or argue with anyone, in fact, if he didn't say or do anything, I wouldn't have said anything).
(Also, aids to me doesn't mean a thing, is just another very bad illness, and where I live really no one makes a fuss about it, that's why I strongly feel US people focus a lot on the negative, or jump out of their seat because of just an expression (I play videogames a lot with voice chat and I notice this happens every single day, like if everyone's ready to jump at anything).

Also, please don't think I come here also to make anyone feel bad.

Uff, lots of typing, I am tired/

TLDR: You're great, I made a comment someone felt offended by, my bad. (But don't make a fuss about it).

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Man, I like you so much! 🥰

Even though I get your point, and that you were so polite with your statement, I feel on the internet people take stuff too seriously, instead of what, at least the intention of a comment is (also have noticed people focus on the negative). Specially people from the US. (and please don't take this as offensive, just making clear my perception, where I live we call a black guy, well, Black, and no one makes a fuss about it, and in some regions people call Black other guys that aren't, sometimes is with love, we call anyone fat/thin (and they aren't), with love, specially people that are married the wife calls his husband fat/thin, but with love, as if it were a positive adjective, in fact is used as a sustantive).

Nevertheless, I will try to say from now on "I am allergic to the Beatles".

(Also I really don't come here to make fun out of anyone, or argue with anyone, in fact, if he didn't say or do anything, I wouldn't have said anything).
(Also, aids to me doesn't mean a thing, is just another very bad illness, and where I live really no one makes a fuss about it, that's why I strongly feel US people focus a lot on the negative, or jump out of their seat because of just an expression (I play videogames a lot with voice chat and I notice this happens every single day, like if everyone's ready to jump at anything).

Also, please don't think I come here also to make anyone feel bad.

Uff, lots of typing, I am tired/

TLDR: You're great, I made a comment someone felt offended by, my bad. (But don't make a fuss about it).

Thanks so much for the kind words.  Your response -- not just because you wrote something nice to me, but because you care enough to listen and consider others -- actually makes my day. And thanks for not ripping on me for sharing my life story in the freaking deals forum (I admit, I wouldn't blame you for laughing at me for that! Who tells personal details of their lives in the deals forum? Apparently, this guy. Maybe I'll edit that down later, but I tell myself that I'm honoring my cousin, that I'm doing some good in the world by promoting more understanding -- yeah, I realize I'm too old to be that idealistic, go figure). 

Now that you understand more of where Simon was coming from, I think you two should make amends. Simon seems like a really nice person - and you do too. The way you responded to my post reflects your character and well meaning nature.  

Peace, 
Peter 

P.S. I'm reminded of another old song I love. this one: 

Edited by Peter Woods

On 9/26/2022 at 5:26 PM, Peter Woods said:

Duly noted,  see my original post, as I mentioned that the library is referred to as a demo but doesn't appear to be time limited. 

The term demo, of course,  short for demonstration,  seems to be used by the developer to denote a limited free version. Again, I installed this and there's no indication that it is time limited, if that is your point (which isn't clear beyond pointing out the word DEMO twice; so I'm just guessing that's the point you intended to make). I suspect the developer and whoever wrote the web copy are not native English speakers and used some terms like demo that often have connotations other than what they were trying to communicate.  

Peter,

Yes, I was pointing out that the library was a demo. That it was not the same as purchasing a fully functional version. I guess the developer wanted people to sample his product.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:10 AM, Peter Woods said:

They call the free library a DEMO, but it's one full drum kit with two snares, a wood (mahogany) snare and a brass snare. As a former semi-pro drummer, I'm very picky about drum libraries and this is easily one of the best free drum libraries I know of (the competition, off hand, for a very high quality free detailed, multisampled drum kit libraries include Steven Slate Drums and the Sennheiser Kit for KONTAKT -- both are are worth having. I don't love the toms on this kit, but for a freebie, they're still nice.

Given it states demo as opposed to free/freebie, do you happen to know if it's royalty free to use? I have seen quite a few things where demo versions aren't allowed to be used commercially and it only states royalty free on the product page for the full kit.

I know they're drums and many people won't care and will just use them, but I try and abide by that side of things anyway.

Hopefully they are, as I didn't mind some of the sounds in there when I tried them.

2 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Given it states demo as opposed to free/freebie, do you happen to know if it's royalty free to use? I have seen quite a few things where demo versions aren't allowed to be used commercially and it only states royalty free on the product page for the full kit.

I know they're drums and many people won't care and will just use them, but I try and abide by that side of things anyway.

Hopefully they are, as I didn't mind some of the sounds in there when I tried them.

I didn't see any exclusions or use limitations for the demo. As it's not a vocal or a loop, which are the forms of audio sold as sample libraries more likely to have strict licensing like you described, the FAQs don't mention any such limitations and it's very rare for a KONTAKT sample developer to put commercial limitations on a multisampled drum, piano or guitar library, I would expect this is like every other multisampled taster KONTAKT library and can be used for everything except being resold as a sample library. You can always drop the developer a note if you're very concerned or if you decide you're going to release a song commercially you can always buy the paid version of the library prior to releasing the music. 

Edited by Peter Woods

On 9/27/2022 at 1:49 AM, Peter Woods said:

Wow, thanks. Disclosure. You might have realized that I get a kick out of your posts because you're so non conformist! When everyone is praising something you'll come in and say you hate it -- which I love in terms of your independence. I don't know much about production. While I've made demos of original music since I was a kid, I played other people's music professionally and always relied on sound engineers and never learned their tricks.  I didn't mix the Orange Tree Samples demo, that was my only track that was mixed by someone competent. 

I am pretty happy with Cakewalk.  I've been trying to play again since early last year and also bought Studio One. It was nice, but Cakewalk works for me. Until recently I've never even used comping or midi editing. When I played a part really poorly, I would just delete it and re record. This year, I mostly still do that, but I've started comping vocals and guitar leads and I will go in and delete bad notes I bump into or ones I held too long or two short. 

The first song I played in over 10 years was "I Am the Walrus " and it's sloppy as heck with all first takes but I think it may be the best thing I've done in these past couple years. I do own V-Drums, but I've only been playing a midi usb keyboard in my office and using a podcast mic for vocals. So not a very impressive setup. My acoustic drums, synths, percussion,  guitars, a glockenspiel-- they're in my basement collecting dust.

PM  some of your music. Encouragement should go both ways. Thanks for the kind words. 

Thanks Peter. I'm only being harsh towards products and companies when I feel there is a need, so people don't waste their hard earned bucks. But sometimes, in some places, people act cruel against others to defend a company. That disappoints me. Thankfully, this virtual avenue hasn't been one of those places since I joined. :)

I'll look into Orange Tree. I currently have only Guitar Pro installed for music on my primary computer, still I don't have much time to use it these days. It's difficult to find a piece of software to stick with. Glad to hear you're happy with OTS stuff. Which OTS VIs you prefer for strumming chords?

35 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Thanks Peter. I'm only being harsh towards products and companies when I feel there is a need, so people don't waste their hard earned bucks. But sometimes, in some places, people act cruel against others to defend a company. That disappoints me. Thankfully, this virtual avenue hasn't been one of those places since I joined. :)

I'll look into Orange Tree. I currently have only Guitar Pro installed for music on my primary computer, still I don't have much time to use it these days. It's difficult to find a piece of software to stick with. Glad to hear you're happy with OTS stuff. Which OTS VIs you prefer for strumming chords?

Well, first, I have consulted to OTS, and I had a lot of input into the Evolution series.  I've been using guitar and bass sample libraries since the 1980s and when Orange Tree Samples first came out, I was blown away at the Strawberry Electric  Guitar library. It was literally an innovation in guitar sample libraries and I can tell you that I chatted with many sample developers who've since introduced their own guitar libraries who shared that they were in awe of what Greg Schlaepfer was doing (one was Andrew Aversa who owns Impact Soundworks and later introduced his own guitar libraries he told me were his take on a more simple approach to what Greg was doing). 

So over 10 years ago. I contacted Greg told him I loved his libraries, told him of my background in marketing,  branding,  business strategy and that I'd be happy to provide some insights as a sample library user who has been obsessed with guitar libraries for decades. Flash forward and I started giving my input for how I believe a guitar library should work. At the time, all of the libraries expected keyboardists to understand how Guitar chords were played and the first thing I said was, "When a keyboardist plays an E in whatever inversion or an E7, E9th, etc., the script should translate that into how a guitarist plays it. " I then gave input on the strumming engine (this was before it was developed), so the Evolution strumming engine reflects my input and of course,  I think it's very good. It's great because you're not limited to the presets. Now, you need to spend 10 minutes or so learning how it works, but once you do you can do basically any kind of strumming pattern you can think of. Let's say you want to do some 8th note strums, you can define up strokes or down strokes, harmonics and other articulations. 

Now,  the only downside is that you need to invest 10 or so minutes to learn how it works to really understand it. But once you do, the same knowledge works with all the Evolution series guitars. 

Now if you compare that to NI's guitar libraries, they use a different approach. They use loops for strumming,  which makes it dead easy to learn because you can't customize anything.  Your merely playing a bunch of loops and everything you play sounds identical to any other user of their plugins  because you're merely playing loops a guitarist played. With Evolution,  it's not using loops, so you can do a near infinite amount of customization. I wish someone would do a side by side comparison. But that is the significant difference for strumming. For single notes, Evolution remains the best there is due to a combination of meticulous,  detailed sampling and the best scripting there is. Before Greg started Orange Tree Samples he was doing scripting for developers like Cinesmples and earned  a reputation as the best of the best in KONTAKT scripting. That scripting is critical for guitar, bass and string libraries (it's not as big a deal for say, piano and drum libraries,  which are less complex). 

Edited by Peter Woods

49 minutes ago, Peter Woods said:

Well, first, I have consulted to OTS, and I had a lot of input into the Evolution series.  I've been using guitar and bass sample libraries since the 1980s and when Orange Tree Samples first came out, I was blown away at the Strawberry Electric  Guitar library. It was literally an innovation in guitar sample libraries and I can tell you that I chatted with many sample developers who've since introduced their own guitar libraries who shared that they were in awe of what Greg Schlaepfer was doing (one was Andrew Aversa who owns Impact Soundworks and later introduced his own guitar libraries he told me were his take on a more simple approach to what Greg was doing). 

So over 10 years ago. I contacted Greg told him I loved his libraries, told him of my background in marketing,  branding,  business strategy and that I'd be happy to provide some insights as a sample library user who has been obsessed with guitar libraries for decades. Flash forward and I started giving my input for how I believe a guitar library should work. At the time, all of the libraries expected keyboardists to understand how Guitar chords were played and the first thing I said was, "When a keyboardist plays an E in whatever inversion or an E7, E9th, etc., the script should translate that into how a guitarist plays it. " I then gave input on the strumming engine (this was before it was developed), so the Evolution strumming engine reflects my input and of course,  I think it's very good. It's great because you're not limited to the presets. Now, you need to spend 10 minutes or so learning how it works, but once you do you can do basically any kind of strumming pattern you can think of. Let's say you want to do some 8th note strums, you can define up strokes or down strokes, harmonics and other articulations. 

Now,  the only downside is that you need to invest 10 or so minutes to learn how it works to really understand it. But once you do, the same knowledge works with all the Evolution series guitars. 

Now if you compare that to NI's guitar libraries, they use a different approach. They use loops for strumming,  which makes it dead easy to learn because you can't customize anything.  Your merely playing a bunch of loops and everything you play sounds identical to any other user of their plugins  because you're merely playing loops a guitarist played. With Evolution,  it's not using loops, so you can do a near infinite amount of customization. I wish someone would do a side by side comparison. But that is the significant difference for strumming. For single notes, Evolution remains the best there is due to a combination of meticulous,  detailed sampling and the best scripting there is. Before Greg started Orange Tree Samples he was doing scripting for developers like Cinesmples and earned  a reputation as the best of the best in KONTAKT scripting. That scripting is critical for guitar, bass and string libraries (it's not as big a deal for say, piano and drum libraries,  which are less complex). 

I have tried the strumming engines in AcousticSamples, AAS Strum, MusicLab RealGuitar; while they're cool for quickly adding guitar accompaniments to a triack, I always got better results by just playing each note normally on the keyboard.

I found two fake guitar scribbles I recorded few months. I'm PM'ing them to you. :)